Question to those still supporting both formats - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 AM

Default Question to those still supporting both formats

I'm curious as to what you all think with this question, but first the background info...

I'm invested in about 70+ HD DVD titles and 30+ BD titles. With the slow death of HD DVD, my movies are still playable so I'm keeping everything. What bothers me a bit is having the Harry Potter series on HD DVD or Heroes Season 1 on HD DVD and knowing that the next movie or box set is coming out in Blu-ray packaging only.

So, here's the question... For those keeping both formats, does it bother you to have part of a movie series or TV series split apart between both formats on your DVD rack?

I don't want this turned into a that's why you should have waited type thread; or, a pro Blu-ray thread. So, please only users keeping both formats, what do you think about having a series partially on one format and partially on the other?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem960 View Post
I'm curious as to what you all think with this question, but first the background info...

I'm invested in about 70+ HD DVD titles and 30+ BD titles. With the slow death of HD DVD, my movies are still playable so I'm keeping everything. What bothers me a bit is having the Harry Potter series on HD DVD or Heroes Season 1 on HD DVD and knowing that the next movie or box set is coming out in Blu-ray packaging only.

So, here's the question... For those keeping both formats, does it bother you to have part of a movie series or TV series split apart between both formats on your DVD rack?

I don't want this turned into a that's why you should have waited type thread; or, a pro Blu-ray thread. So, please only users keeping both formats, what do you think about having a series partially on one format and partially on the other?

Doesn't bother me at all.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:

Nah. When I got a BD player I got rid of my HD DVD of 'Underworld' for the more feature-packed Blu-ray, but I kept my HD DVD of 'Underworld: Evolution' because it has a better transfer than its BD counterpart. Having the same color case for both is a much lower priority than either of those.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:08 AM

It is a little odd...but I am cool with it. Take Harry Potter: TOOTP. I own both the blu version and the red version. The blu version I bought because, truthfully, it was the only copy on the shelf at the time. I bought the red version for the pip and the transfer...which I think is a bit better than the blu version. Same goes for 300.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:

No - I do not see it as a problem. I have all the existing Harry Potters in HD-DVD, and presumedly the next release will be available in blu-ray and maybe I'll actually have a blu-ray player by then, so when that blu-ray release of the next Harry Potter drops in price to something reasonable, it will look just fine in it's pale blue case next to my existing collection of dark red cases. No problems.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Doesn't bother me at all.

Nor me either! My Potter sets-- both HD-DVD (UK imports!!) and US BRs (excellent) look just great and blue and red don't clash as much as some of you might think.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:04 PM

It bothers me a little, but I have them stored together, so it's not that big a deal. I found it a bit ironic, though.

Example series:
Dawn of the Dead (original) (blu)
Day of the Dead (blu)
Land of the Dead (HD)

Dawn of the Dead (Remake) (HD)!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:06 PM

Does not bother me one bit!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:37 PM

I have to admit that the Harry Potter boxset is going to bug the shit out of me, I don't know why it just does. Ill probably have to re-buy Batman Begins on BD so I don't have those mismatching as well. I'm a little OCD about things like this though.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickherum View Post
I have to admit that the Harry Potter boxset is going to bug the shit out of me, I don't know why it just does.
Once all 8 films (yes, 8 films) are released, you just know there'll be a complete set released. That will be the set to have.