Picking picture quality over MOVIE quality - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-01-2008, 02:54 PM

Default Picking picture quality over MOVIE quality

I have been baffled time and time again in the trading sections of the forums, where people are looking to trade very high quality movies for low quality SHIT movies like Evan Almighty or something.

Maybe it's just me, but even though I'm all mush when it comes to PQ and AQ and why I spent a shitload of money on my system, but what sense is having a high quality setup when you are using it for garbage movies that show skin texture nicely?

Someone in one of the trading threads said he only wanted movies 4 star+ for the movies he was offering up. I fear that HDM suffers from the over importance of picture quality rather than offering good movies with good special features and sufficient transfers of picture quality. Movies like 12 Monkeys and The Game remain part of my DVD collection as opposed to my HD DVD collection because they don't offer much in terms of an upgrade. Why is this? Because Evan Almighty or Norbit get star treatment?

It just makes me sad to see so many people frenzied over the picture quality of a terrible movie just to add it to their 5 star PQ collection rather than owning and enjoying quality movies.

Discuss.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:46 PM

Wow. Don't know what you're trying to gain from this thread, but I will say that I actually enjoyed Evan Almighty (but Norbit is one I'll never see). Did you see Evan Almighty and Norbit? Evan Almighty may not be the best movie out there, but I found it entertaining and a breath of fresh air from a lot of the "garbage" that is promoted in Hollywood.

PQ is something nice to look at, but it doesn't garner repeated viewings of poor films. I just rented the Invasion yesterday, and it looks amazing. Still, it is a horrible movie that I would never buy.

I think it's best to not point out specific titles in your post. It would make your argument a little less distracting.

Another thing that surprises me is why you would be so bothered by others' reasons for purchasing movies. It's not like you have to sit through and watch the movies with them.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

It's high definition, what do you expect? Who are you to define shitty movies anyway? We are all studios' high def bitches.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
I have been baffled time and time again in the trading sections of the forums, where people are looking to trade very high quality movies for low quality SHIT movies like Evan Almighty or something.

Maybe it's just me, but even though I'm all mush when it comes to PQ and AQ and why I spent a shitload of money on my system, but what sense is having a high quality setup when you are using it for garbage movies that show skin texture nicely?

Someone in one of the trading threads said he only wanted movies 4 star+ for the movies he was offering up. I fear that HDM suffers from the over importance of picture quality rather than offering good movies with good special features and sufficient transfers of picture quality. Movies like 12 Monkeys and The Game remain part of my DVD collection as opposed to my HD DVD collection because they don't offer much in terms of an upgrade. Why is this? Because Evan Almighty or Norbit get star treatment?

It just makes me sad to see so many people frenzied over the picture quality of a terrible movie just to add it to their 5 star PQ collection rather than owning and enjoying quality movies.

Discuss.
I agree with you, willxcore. Problem is, there's so many craptastic movies out there in which Hollywood keeps churning out. It's been much worse in recent years, and the trend has been less substance with heavy style. I've made numerous posts about this on these forums, suggesting as much. There's a much bigger thing going on here though, as studios cater to the society around them, and our society favors (how shall I say this) less artistic endeavors with emphasis on schmaltzy narrative.

The movies that I've chosen in my high-definition collection, were chosen carefully. I didn't just place a premium on the audio and video quality, but also on the actual films themselves. As the others have said, this is all subjective. Not everyone cares for old movies such as Casablanca or Mutiny on the Bounty, just as others don't care for films like Spiderman or King Kong. I fall somewhere inbetween. I love old movies, but I also like some of the new movies that have come out.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:03 AM

Scripture, you are right about our society. Why else would Meet The Spartans be number 1 at the box office?

Perhaps I shouldn't have use specific titles, but I felt that it helped my argument by showing a point. Yeah, not everyone enjoys the "finer films" out there and of course it's perfectly acceptable to understand that someone might have a full high def set up in their home simply for movies like Balls of Fury and I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.

I guess I was just surprised to see certain people wanting to trade movies in the respective forum areas who were asking for certain movies that I feel are just not very highly regarded films just because they had a nice picture.

Hell, I have to admit that I fell for this trick myself when buying certain HDM titles. I own the Pirates Trilogy on Blu and Transformers (blech) on HD DVD simply because they were touted as high performance discs, but the fact of the matter is that these movies are really nothing special, especially Transformers. That's my opinion at least. It might look pretty but I don't care for the movie. I too, fell for the hype.

P.S. Any takers for those movies? haha
Old 02-02-2008, 04:46 PM

I feel that I am one of those people that you wrote about Willxcore. Initially that is. When I first got my HDTV and high def players, I put a premium on high PQ and AQ scoring movies -- even if they were crap movies. Take 300. Not my favorite movie. In fact, I think it's pretty stupid to be honest. That said, it was one of those titles that I felt I "had to own" since it was such a showcase for great PQ and AQ. Interestingly, I haven't been able to sit through the entire movie. I just put it on and watch a few bits here and there.

Lately I find that I've been looking for great movies that I'll enjoy in spite of their PQ and AQ score. I recently bought Zodiac and I've been really enjoying it -- especially the special features. A great story/movie will be great regardless of the PQ and AQ. Naturally, having both is what makes high definition such a thrill for me.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:29 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The movies that might be gems to you, might be crap to others.

Different strokes.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 PM

Evan Almighty isnt shit imo, its a fun family film.
Norbit was funny to some people.

Personal I think Lord of The Rings and Blade Runner are shit movies, long and boring but alot of people like them.

Watch this I agree 100%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0sc-...eature=related

If everyone had the same taste the world would be dull.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willxcore View Post

Absolutely. This is my biggest frustration with these forums. Sometimes no one has the balls to stand up a say 'hang on, this film is awful'. The annoying part is having someone trying to argue about video bitrates, audio codecs and the like the whole time making it clearly apparent that they have nothing to say about the actually cinematic work being reproduced.

But then when ever I try to prompt some actual film discussion outside of the HD DVD forum I get called a film snob, so you can't win.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaustus View Post
I feel that I am one of those people that you wrote about Willxcore. Initially that is. When I first got my HDTV and high def players, I put a premium on high PQ and AQ scoring movies -- even if they were crap movies. Take 300. Not my favorite movie. In fact, I think it's pretty stupid to be honest. That said, it was one of those titles that I felt I "had to own" since it was such a showcase for great PQ and AQ. Interestingly, I haven't been able to sit through the entire movie. I just put it on and watch a few bits here and there.

Lately I find that I've been looking for great movies that I'll enjoy in spite of their PQ and AQ score. I recently bought Zodiac and I've been really enjoying it -- especially the special features. A great story/movie will be great regardless of the PQ and AQ. Naturally, having both is what makes high definition such a thrill for me.
Really?? You didn't like 300? I thought it was amazing. It was no Gladiator, but I seen it once at theaters and have watched it on BD twice. I liked it a lot.