3X DVD To Allow HD DVD Movies on a Regular DVD Disc? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Founding Member

Default 3X DVD To Allow HD DVD Movies on a Regular DVD Disc?

Engadget and EngadgetHD just posted this article on 3X DVD being used to fit an HD movie on a regular DVD disc. It seems to say this will only be used for or by HD-DVD. I am not sure I understand what they are talking about here and was hoping someone could explain. Would the resolution remain the same? Are there any downsides to this? I did not see this posted anywhere else, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. And thanks for any explanation on this technology. Here is the link.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/19/i...ainst-blu-ray/
Old 02-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned

This is a 9.4GB disc. Resolution would have to be lowered to fit a full movie on one disc. It would be 720p. It's a red laser disc, just like regular DVD-9s.

Blu-ray has this basic technology in their spec as well. It's the BD-9.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Founding Member

Would the difference in resolution be noticeable in the real world? My plasma has a native resolution of 720P. Would the 1080i and 1080p sets see a big difference? I mean if these could be played on standard DVD players, isn't that a pretty big deal? Sorry for my noob questions.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Banned

That's hard to say. It would depend mostly on the source. Usually dropping a 1080p signal into a 720p TV looks better than a 720p signal on a 720p set, but marginally.

But right now the big CE push is 1080p.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Founding Member

Makes sense. Just thought that it might help HD-DVD gain a stronger foothold in the market place if they could be played in standard DVD players. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:25 PM

I don't think they can play on a regular DVD-player - you would still need to have a HD DVD-player
Old 02-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonzo View Post
I don't think they can play on a regular DVD-player - you would still need to have a modified HD DVD-player
I added one word of correction.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Founding Member

Here is a link to the press release from DCA:

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...32&newsLang=en

First 3X DVD-ROM Disc Cut with DCA Equipment

CUSHING, Okla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Doug Carson & Associates, Inc. (DCA) is proud to announce that the first 3X DVD-ROM disc was successfully mastered & replicated at Sonopress’ North Carolina facility using DCA’s MIS 8.5 DVD formatter software on January 17, 2007.

The title was produced through a partnership with Sonic Solutions, the leader in authoring products.

3X DVD-ROM is a variant of DVD-ROM, allowing for HD video & UDF 2.5 on the DVD format. 3X DVD-ROM discs are played back in HD DVD players. Several manufacturers are looking to 3X DVD-ROM as a low cost entry into the HD video market.

DCA’s MIS 8.5 DVD formatter software includes full support for standard DVD formats, as well as 3X DVD-ROM, including AACS & media marks necessary for the 3X variant. All existing MIS V8 customers are eligible for an upgrade to MIS 8.5 DVD software, giving them immediate access to the new world of HD video.

About DCA, Inc.

DCA, Inc., Doug Carson & Associates, (http://www.dcainc.com) is the industry's leading provider of world class signal processing technology. Since 1988, optical disc manufacturers have relied on DCA's pre-mastering, mastering and verification products. DCA's products include Pre-Mastering tools (Viper, UDF & Video Verifier, Blazer AACS Workstation), Mastering tools (MIS with Pulse Control System) and Plant Management tools (Commander job controller, Title Manager reporting index). DCA’s leadership position in the optical disc industry extends now to 3G format development for HD DVD and Blu-ray. DCA continues to champion new solutions for optical discs, including its DiscTag, HCRC and job history metadata for automated verification, testing and tracking of job information.

Copyright 2007, DCA, Inc. All rights reserved. MIS, DDP and DiscTag are trademarks of DCA, Inc. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:36 PM

Wow this sounds great - please take this one to the smackdown, because this one will really matter!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonzo View Post
Wow this sounds great - please take this one to the smackdown, because this one will really matter!
No, it won't.