Is collecting movies worth it? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Is collecting movies worth it?

I must acknowledge that for me and I thik many other that collecting movies on dvd and now hidef is a bit of a disease after a while.

I find myself thinking of what movies to seek out to buy. That is the wrong idea right there. The movies that are truly great that appeal to me should seek me out, not the other way around. Spending so much money on movies that will only ever be watched once is just stupid. I could rent the movie three times or more and it would still be cheaper than buying it.

I think what is needed is a sort of state of mind when buying a movie and you should ask yourself how many times you will actually watch the movie. I mean the other day I practically talked myself into buying Ratatouille. Am I crazy??? Why should I have to talk myself into getting it? If I really wanted it it should have been an easy decision. But no, I made myself believe I needed it based on all the reviews and hype. Yet I have no urge to throw it in my BD player and actually watch it.

A movie that I am chomping at the bit to get in hidef is Superbad. I want to actually put it into my player and watch it the second I get home, this is how I need to start buying movies. American Gangster is another.

How many other people make movie buying hard on themselves for no apparent reason? Like we make ourselves believe that actually NEED to own something?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
Why should I have to talk myself into getting it? If I really wanted it it should have been an easy decision.
I did this yesterday at Fry's. They had a buy one get one sale and I must have debated buying 2 movies I was sort of interested in but not really excited about for 10 minutes. I ended up not buying them but I know exactly how you feel.

On the other hand I already own Die Hard 1-3 on SD DVD and probably only watch them once a year yet I still bought the BD collection yesterday. I internally debated whether I should just get the 4th disk or the collection for about 10 minutes but this time the collector mentallity beat out common sense.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:53 PM

It really isn't worth it to buy a lot of movies but when it's 2am and i want something to watch it's nice to be able to check out my dvd racks and pick something out.
You could save a lot of money by renting and doing back-ups .
Old 11-21-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:

How many other people make movie buying hard on themselves for no apparent reason? Like we make ourselves believe that actually NEED to own something?
I think I am what you call a movie collector. But I want quality movies (movies I like) and not just every crap. I find people with collections of 4000 dvds quite interesting...because I would never find enough discs for that...Why should I own a movie I never watch.

Example: Star Trek TOS The DVDs not the Hi-Def...I owned them since they appeared (2 or 3 years ago?)...I watched 1 (that's ONE) lousy episode in this time...and for that I paid around $500...It looks nice in the cupboard but it's just a waste of money.

I sold them last weekend...and this week I really had to restrain myself and not by the HD-Versions...

A movie collection is DEFINITELY worth owning...but not every movie/TV-Series should deserve entry in the collection
Old 11-21-2007, 03:13 PM

I'm a collector also. I love the idea of owning a great film. Every since I bought a Super 8mm of Star Wars (12 min. long), I've been hooked. I am extremely picky these days due to prices though.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:28 PM

I did not consider myself a collector. I just bought movies that Iliked. Movies are like old books. Sometimes...I will want to read a book again because it was such a good read. I feel the same about movies. I like that movie to be there whenever I feel the desire to watch it again. I dont like to rent. With these hi def movies, however, I never owned this many sd dvds as I own hi def dvds. So...I guess I have turned into a collector, of sorts, thanks to this format war.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I think what is needed is a sort of state of mind when buying a movie and you should ask yourself how many times you will actually watch the movie. I mean the other day I practically talked myself into buying Ratatouille. Am I crazy??? Why should I have to talk myself into getting it? If I really wanted it it should have been an easy decision. But no, I made myself believe I needed it based on all the reviews and hype. Yet I have no urge to throw it in my BD player and actually watch it.
Well it is a kids movie about a cartoon rat! What did you expect?

The trick is not to follow the pop-corn sales and find the real cool films that didn't have a marketing budget.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
Well it is a kids movie about a cartoon rat! What did you expect?

The trick is not to follow the pop-corn sales and find the real cool films that didn't have a marketing budget.
I love how you take the chance to attack Blu-ray. You must be one of the biggest shills here.

Anyway, I've also been buying to many movies lately. I'm cutting waaaay back to only the titles that really appeal to me. Lost, Superbad, Bourne, Die Hard, The Simpson's Movie.... these I know I'll watch again and again. No more Transformers, no more Shrek. I probably won't pick up the Pirates 3 unless I get it as a Christmas gift despite owning the first two.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Watcher of stances

after collecting 400 or so DVD's which are now collecting dust, i'm not purchasing a single HD DVD or Blu-Ray title for my units.

netflix all the way.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCali View Post
I love how you take the chance to attack Blu-ray. You must be one of the biggest shills here.
As much as I love attacking your beloved format of choice (it is fun), I was really remarking on the film. I quite often talk up the good BD movies. This just isn't one of them one in my opinion. I wouldn't buy it on HD DVD either.