View Poll Results: Are You Sick And Tired Of Smackdown Threads: Part 2
Yes. They serve no purpose. 15 62.50%
No. I like to fight. 2 8.33%
I'm Neutral. I don't go there. 4 16.67%
Other (Please explain) 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Are You Sick And Tired Of Smackdown Threads Part 2

A friend suggested I revive this poll. I believe that smackdowns really serve no purpose but to piss each other off and post complete nonsense. Sometimes you can find an ounce of useful information if you wade long enough through all the crap. Once again, your thoughts. KEEP IN MIND THERE IS NO "SMACKING DOWN" IN THIS THREAD!
Old 08-21-2007, 06:08 PM

im neutral, but i usually go there and back up HD DVD
Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 PM

We need some more strict rule to purge out the most ridiculous positions on both sides, but I still think that smackdown can be some time an interesting place where to learn about the opposing format. I think for example we need a stricter rule about thread starting (limit on posts and time)

If nothing is changed I will stop visiting: the level of vitriol, name calling and BS is starting to get on my nerves.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimba1970 View Post
We need some more strict rule to purge out the most ridiculous positions on both sides, but I still think that smackdown can be some time an interesting place where to learn about the opposing format. I think for example we need a stricter rule about thread starting (limit on posts and time)

If nothing is changed I will stop visiting: the level of vitriol, name calling and BS is starting to get on my nerves.
Great post. Thanks for you honest input.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimba1970 View Post
I think for example we need a stricter rule about thread starting (limit on posts and time)

I'm not even sure it's just the newbies to blame though. It just seems that people seem to get some low-level celebrity buzz by starting the 50th thread on the same subject with a post that would have fit comfortably into any of the preceeding 49 threads. The billion Paramount threads show this, they're all arguing the same point with different words.

I just think maybe more mods are needed, or they need to kick arse more...

That said, the smackdown is what it is, if you don't like it, don't go there. I usually have a chuckle for 5 minutes and then leave as the antagonistic content and some of the posters tend to piss me off. But if serves a purpose as it keeps all the trolls in one place.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:53 PM

I used to love the smackdown thread because it was fun arguing my point of view vs anothers point of view. It used to be a HD DVD vs Blu-ray smackdown but now it seems like it is more of a HD DVD fan vs Blu-ray fan smackdown and it's not about the formats but about the format owners.

I think we have a few select individuals (VC-1 for example) to thank for the change in attitude. We all have our moments but there are some people that just seem to post to get people upset and start a fight.

I still enjoy the smackdown sometimes... some threads are very informative but others I only get a few posts into it and leave it because it is obviously going nowhere but a personal smackdown.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:52 AM

I don't go there. Maybe I should. Nah!

I read about what people say about HD media and make my buying decisions.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:52 AM

LOL I'm sorry Spidey!!! I wouldn't have been quite as blunt in the thread I made If I knew you started this thread!!! Anyway, needless to say, I respectfully disagree... I think it serves as a magnet for all the people who like to be jerks and argue. Maybe it helps by keeping the bickering to a minimum in the other threads.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
I used to love the smackdown thread because it was fun arguing my point of view vs anothers point of view. It used to be a HD DVD vs Blu-ray smackdown but now it seems like it is more of a HD DVD fan vs Blu-ray fan smackdown and it's not about the formats but about the format owners.

I think we have a few select individuals (VC-1 for example) to thank for the change in attitude. We all have our moments but there are some people that just seem to post to get people upset and start a fight.

I still enjoy the smackdown sometimes... some threads are very informative but others I only get a few posts into it and leave it because it is obviously going nowhere but a personal smackdown.
I have to agree with that. Well said...
Old 08-22-2007, 03:47 AM

Some of them are a little fun, but some people just get carried away. It seems to me as though people use the Smackdown forum as a cover to allow them to make outrageous accusations and set logic aside for as long as possible. Rather than dispute an argument, you'll see a response like, "Yeah, well, ur just crying and no one likes [insert opposing format] comsumers want teh best to win obv haha derf derf." Those kinds of responses make the forum unfun. If it consisted of more reasonable posts, then it could be fun, but it too often seems to become a contest of who can show more bias.

I go in there because I can't seem to help myself, but I usually leave disappointed. Even when I feel I've used good logic, no one listens, reads the entirety of what I wrote, or bothers to respond in a coherent manner. The number of well-written rebuttals to anything I've written is pretty close to zero.