Is collecting movies worth it? - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-22-2007, 12:06 AM

Nobody can tell you whether collecting is worth it for you.

For me, there are some movies I just love to have access to at all times. Movies that I will never regret buying. Those are the movies that make collecting worthwhile.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:23 AM

I know exactly what Bonecrusher is talking about on this thread. I often find myself practically forcing a purchase of a movie that I really don't like that much/or have never even seen at all (i.e. - Happy Feet and Fantastic Four: ROTSS come to mind!). Add the fact that I work till 7-8pm, and by the time I get home, I'm too wiped to watch a movie. I love watching movies - I really do, but in my heart of hearts, I know I invest way too much time/money into my movie collection.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Wan View Post
A shame you aren't more open to its joys, but I'm glad your opinion is at least somewhat informed (though weren't you similarly dismissive of it prior to its video release?). Should you find yourself able to revisit it with your full attention, though, I hope you'll approach it with an open mind - rather than a mere trifle for children, I think it's in its own way a profound little fable on creativity and the pursuit of excellence over mediocrity, and beautifully realized.
Profound is a strong word but fine, I'll admit it, I automatically switch off when watching kids movies, no matter how well made as I just can't get involved in the cartoon like, child-proof, sugar coated worlds they present.

I did put off watching The Incredibles for a long time too and found it quite amusing but still, not the type of films I can really take seriously as a collector.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:29 AM

The way i see it, if your buying habits are'nt affecting your ability to pay the mortgage and feed the kids, then you should'nt beat yourself up about it.

I'm not partciculary well off, and i'm quite disciplined, 1 or 2 HD discs a month, and ONLY great/ classic films that i can watch over and over.
I never blind buy, if it's a new movie i'll watch it first as a SD DVD rental, if i love it i'll buy it on HD, but only after the price has come down a bit.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:01 AM

True. As long as our collections don't affect our responsibility to pay the mortgage, feed the family, etc then we are fine. For me, I love collecting & watching action movies. Thus building a small movie library is essential.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:26 PM

I could never stop collecting movies i used to go to the movies at least once a week with my friends and always on holidays christmas Thanksgiving i wish i am legend would of come out today. I guess if you personally can only watch a movie a couple of times then its not worth purchasing especially now a days with on demand i personally can watch a good film 10 to 20 times. I can't even count how many times ive seen fellowship of the ring its easily over 50 though.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 AM

I have to agree with the OP... sometimes it's difficult to resist buying something... Though for the most part I like to think I only buy movies I really want and enjoy, and will watch more than once. It's rare I buy something I haven't seen before, and if I do, I'll only get something budget. The only recent exception being Verhoeven's Black Book, which was well worth it.

Though I did just find myself buying The Island again, in HD DVD. Basically as I've only just gone HD recently, and wanted something other than the first two I got, and I was out shopping and on holiday and wanted to get something. It's a fun movie, not a lot more, but it does look spectacular. I'd probably never buy something like Transformers unless I saw it in a bargain bin. I know it's one of the best looking HD DVDs out there at the moment, and is packed with extras, but at the end of the day, it was just mildly good fun at the cinema.

I'm actually buying older films on HD DVD to be honest. Got Blade Runner on order, and will be getting 2001, Casablanca, Dune for christmas. (Shame the picture on Spartacus got such a poor review, or I'd get that too) and maybe the Omega Man, depending on the review of the picture on that when it's released.

I agree with those who say that most modern blockbusters, with very few exceptions, are grabbing me at the moment.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:42 PM

Since I do not sub to the premium movie channels I wait till the movies is out on DVD then purchase it.
At this time I have over 471 dvd's and 65 hd dvd's and none are doubled dipped. I saw a sale put up at Fry's today and couldn't pass up the HBO series six feet under at $14.99 per season. Figured I would have paid much more then that to sub to hbo for a year so is it worth it? Heck yeah!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Rewatchabillity?????/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
I must acknowledge that for me and I thik many other that collecting movies on dvd and now hidef is a bit of a disease after a while.

I find myself thinking of what movies to seek out to buy. That is the wrong idea right there. The movies that are truly great that appeal to me should seek me out, not the other way around. Spending so much money on movies that will only ever be watched once is just stupid. I could rent the movie three times or more and it would still be cheaper than buying it.

I think what is needed is a sort of state of mind when buying a movie and you should ask yourself how many times you will actually watch the movie. I mean the other day I practically talked myself into buying Ratatouille. Am I crazy??? Why should I have to talk myself into getting it? If I really wanted it it should have been an easy decision. But no, I made myself believe I needed it based on all the reviews and hype. Yet I have no urge to throw it in my BD player and actually watch it.

A movie that I am chomping at the bit to get in hidef is Superbad. I want to actually put it into my player and watch it the second I get home, this is how I need to start buying movies. American Gangster is another.

How many other people make movie buying hard on themselves for no apparent reason? Like we make ourselves believe that actually NEED to own something?
I would say it depends on rewatchabillity. I say if your favourite movies are on HD, go for it. like I have Superman, First Blood and the first two terminators. I also got the Pirates moives, but I only go part 2, because it was free at Best Buy. Also if you want to upgrade your favorites to get a better picture and sound, go fo it too. Like I'm thinking of getting the Die Hard Collection, but people are saying the first two look bad. It depends on the quality of the transfer, like some recently remastered movies.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Wan View Post
Have you actually seen it?
I have and i'm really dissapointed i bought into the hype and bought it on blu-ray.

I know exactly what the OP is saying. I struggle with this alot. I really like collecting. I accumulated nearly 400 dvds in just a year. Then HD came out and i've been selling my sd versions and double dipping into HD. It's getting a bit out of control. I try very hard to only buy really good movies i know i'll watch more than once but i slipt up alot.

I also have really bad luck with blind buys. I figure if I blind buy the movie i save money not seeing it in theatres or renting. But i never usually like the movie enough to keep and wind up selling :/