3X DVD To Allow HD DVD Movies on a Regular DVD Disc? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-19-2007, 06:48 PM

glocks like or not - now small indie producing companies have a change to get their movies out in HD DVD, which means alot more movies on HD DVD.

At least for me, this is good news, since I rather watch indie films than most of the big blockbusters!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

Except this technology won't play on HD DVD drives unless the drive has a firmware upgrade. This technology will cost the same to manufacture as standard DVDs with a bit more cost incurred for production.

It's very unlikely anyone will use this technology.

Like I said already, Blu-ray already has this technology in their spec.

The only reason this may be significant is if someone developed a 3X DVD that plays in both machines.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:22 PM

glocks why is you have to spin everything so that it becomes about Blu-ray??? And BTW this is not the smackdown forum you know!

Anyway - I could see Criterion Collection use this type of discs, since they allready have the HD-scans and they don't care about new fancy soundtracks but rather stick with the originals - but offcause Criterion has said that the will not go into the HD-scene before winner is found in the format war, but maybe this would change things. Lets wait and see.

Last edited by Dr_Gonzo; 02-19-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:04 PM

So what's the point? Only works on a modified HD-DVD player, so it's lower quality than what they already have available to them. Any movie studio that has worthwhile movies can (and pretty much already does) afford to support either Blu-ray or HD DVD.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:17 PM

depends on what you think are worthwhile - the good thing about HD DVD is that its easy to update the firmware, do to the ethernet connection on all players
Old 02-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonzo View Post
glocks why is you have to spin everything so that it becomes about Blu-ray??? And BTW this is not the smackdown forum you know!
I know this isn't the smackdown forum, and I don't want this thread sent to the smackdown forum because there is nothing to argue.

I'm not spinning this to Blu-ray because the story itself was spun towards HD DVD. This isn't a technology exclusive to either format. It's not an advantage for HD DVD and it's not an advantage to Blu-ray because both formats have this technology. Your player has to go through firmware upgrades in order to use this technology as well. It's not like they can roll it out and nobody would have a clue.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:18 PM

Is this like their last stand.... !-(
Old 02-20-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hus3 View Post
Is this like their last stand.... !-(
Yup.Looks that way.