Blu-Ray Storage Capacity Increased - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 AM

Default Blu-Ray Storage Capacity Increased

Quote:
Sony and Panasonic have developed a new optical disc technology that will allow the layer capacity of Blu-ray to grow from 25GB to 33.4GB.

Blu-ray.com reports that existing Blu-ray hardware, including disc players like PS3 and Blu-ray burners, would require only a simple firmware upgrade to utilise the technology.

The site also says itís likely that the Blu-ray Disc Association will evaluate the proposed layer capacity increase for inclusion in the Blu-ray spec later this year as Sony and Panasonic are two of the largest Blu-ray members.

While the Blu-ray format allows developers to fit vastly more information on to discs than is possible on DVD, Konamiís Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots was the first PS3 game to use a full 50GB dual layer Blu-ray disc. Game designer Hideo Kojima said that his team had to compress numerous elements to make it fit on the disc, and expressed his desire for the format to offer greater storage capacity.
DVD is looking more and more like the wrong choice, is there anyone still willing to claim that MS's next home console wont include Blu-ray storage solutions?

http://edge-online.com/news/blu-ray-...city-increased
Old 01-06-2010, 08:37 AM

I didn't know there many people claiming blu wouldn't be in the next gen of consoles. I thought it would be a given, considering the next Xbox/PS are still years away.

Not having bluray hasn't hamstrung the Wii or 360 this gen, so I don't think you can say DVD is "looking more and more" like a wrong choice for either.

If this is smackdown, you really are striving... but, not for the first time. ;-)
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArronC07 View Post
DVD is looking more and more like the wrong choice, is there anyone still willing to claim that MS's next home console wont include Blu-ray storage solutions?
Is there anyone who has said the next generation should have DVD? Is there anyone here who has said DVD is a better choice than Blu-ray? If so, I'd like a link please.

Your strawman is showing.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Watcher of stances

how was DVD the wrong choice in 2005?

the "720" will most definitely use some form of high capacity disk base media.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 AM

How about using DVD-18? I've already seen it being used though not as common or popular as the DVD 5/9s
Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 AM

I know this is the console forum, but I'm sure a lot of PC gamers will argue that DVDs are still fine to use for storage. I hope the next Xbox system because otherwise is just plain stubbornness. It's already double what DVDs can hold and I'm sure as time goes by developers will find ways to squeeze more and more data onto the discs.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:31 AM

I still think that Blu-ray has done more harm than good for PS3 (because of PS3's delayed launch and high price, both partially due to Blu-ray). But yeah, no excuse for using DVD in any new systems.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Is there anyone who has said the next generation should have DVD? Is there anyone here who has said DVD is a better choice than Blu-ray? If so, I'd like a link please.

Your strawman is showing.
I think with more and more consoles by default coming with hard drives, I think it's a rather moot point how the medium gets delivered there. As long as it's on something physical, who really cares how it gets there. BD makes more sense for things like movies where you aren't constantly reusing the same data over and over again on a semi-permanent basis, unlike video games.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 PM

One star thread.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:08 PM

I guess this settles it, the Wii is doomed!!!