HDMI to Optical 5.1 Audio conversion problem on PS3/Xbox 360 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-10-2007, 10:28 AM

Unhappy HDMI to Optical 5.1 Audio conversion problem on PS3/Xbox 360

Hi. I just bought a brand new 42" Toshiba (Model 42HL167) 1080p TV and own a PS3 and Xbox 360 Elite. For 5.1 surround sound I use a Sony STR-K740P with a single optical input.

I think I've narrowed down the issue and don't think it can be solved unless I buy an HDMI audio receiver, but I wanted to see if any of the experts in this forum could help me.

Here's my problem:
I can't get 5.1 surround sound from anything routed through my TV.
Right now I am routing audio from my game consoles via this method:

PS3/Xbox 360->HDMI cable from console->TV->optical-out on TV->receiver.

Using this method, I only get PCM 48 and Dolby Pro-Logic; no LFE channel or individual back-surround channels.
I know I can get 5.1 because it worked on my old setup via this method:

PS3/Xbox 360->Optical Audio Cable->Receiver.

When it was hooked up this way, I was able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.

The issue, I think, is that my new Toshiba HDTV doesn't convert 5.1 signals from HDMI to optical 5.1 signals.

Am I right, or does anyone else know of a way to make this TV convert HDMI audio signals to optical audio signals correctly? I really want to be able to just switch inputs on my TV, rather than going and rerouting my optical cables every time I change input devices.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:59 PM

I'm not sure if this will help as it is just a guess, but is there an option in the TV's audio setup where you can adjust the output type of the optical audio signal? Maybe the TV is downconverting?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:01 PM

why don't you just go back to the original setup, i.e. console optical out -> receiver?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPoZ View Post
Hi. I just bought a brand new 42" Toshiba (Model 42HL167) 1080p TV and own a PS3 and Xbox 360 Elite. For 5.1 surround sound I use a Sony STR-K740P with a single optical input.

I think I've narrowed down the issue and don't think it can be solved unless I buy an HDMI audio receiver, but I wanted to see if any of the experts in this forum could help me.

Here's my problem:
I can't get 5.1 surround sound from anything routed through my TV.
Right now I am routing audio from my game consoles via this method:

PS3/Xbox 360->HDMI cable from console->TV->optical-out on TV->receiver.

Using this method, I only get PCM 48 and Dolby Pro-Logic; no LFE channel or individual back-surround channels.
I know I can get 5.1 because it worked on my old setup via this method:

PS3/Xbox 360->Optical Audio Cable->Receiver.

When it was hooked up this way, I was able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.

The issue, I think, is that my new Toshiba HDTV doesn't convert 5.1 signals from HDMI to optical 5.1 signals.

Am I right, or does anyone else know of a way to make this TV convert HDMI audio signals to optical audio signals correctly? I really want to be able to just switch inputs on my TV, rather than going and rerouting my optical cables every time I change input devices.
I seem to be having the same trouble BUT I can get 5.1 from the 360 Elite, just not the PS3. I have the Sony HT-DDW790 connected to a Sanyo 42" LCD via Coaxial. Using the automatic sound detection setting, the PS3 sets up DD5.1, PCM 2 44.1 & PCM 2 48 through HDMI to the TV but the receiver detects PCM 2 48 and not the DD5.1. I am to the point that I will buy an optical cable to see it I can get DD5.1 from PS3 to the receiver but I would really like to know why it will not work through HDMI. I also want to add that my Comcast box is also connected to the TV via HDMI and that I can get DD5.1 from it. WTF is up with my PS3!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

UPDATE: I got DD5.1 to work on the PS3. Under BD/DVD Settings, I changed Audio Output from Linear PCM to Bitstream.