Xbox 360 Star Ocean needs 3 DVDs - why Microsoft needs Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-08-2008, 03:00 PM

Default Xbox 360 Star Ocean needs 3 DVDs - why Microsoft needs Blu-ray

http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/12/06/x...needs-blu-ray/

Quote:
The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 may be virtually indistinguishable on most levels, but the media format they use is one area where they do differ. With the news that Star Ocean: The Last Hope is going to need three DVDs, does this show why Microsoft needs Blu-ray more than Blu-ray needs Microsoft?

No-one can really blame Microsoft for choosing to stick with the DVD format when it was developing the Xbox 360. Blu-ray wasnít really a viable format at that stage in time, and even now, three years later, its success isnít guaranteed. But now could be the time when Microsoft needs to change its mind, and go begging to Sony.

Sony was always going to go with Blu-ray, knowing that any sort of success for the PS3 would mean the format received a welcome boost. And that is exactly what has happened, with Blu-ray limited success so far in becoming the new standard for movies being in large part attributed to the Playstation 3.

Although the decision to put a Blu-ray player as standard in every PS3 was derided at first, itís now proved to be a good one. As well as pushing the format, and helping it beat the doomed HD DVD, the PS3 Blu-ray drive is another reason to buy a PS3 over an Xbox 360, certainly for people who like their high-def movies.

Siliconera reports that the Xbox 360 exclusive Star Ocean: The Last Hope is going to ship on three DVDs, taking us back to the days of the original Playstation and those 3-4 CD Final Fantasy releases. Though it may be trite to say it, I canít help but consider this being a backward step when the game would fit rather snugly on just one Blu-ray disc.

You could argue that swapping discs is hardly a big effort, and it could actually be preferable to the mandatory installs that seem to be plaguing many PS3 releases these days. But the whole disc-swapping feels so old-school, and I thought with the next-gen consoles it would be a thing of the past.

There have been countless rumors over the past year or so, ever since HD DVD became dodo-esque, of an Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive, either built in to the console or sold as an add-on, but all have seemingly come to zero. Star Ocean: The Last Hope may just be the thin end of a very thick wedge heading Microsoftís way, and I suggest it needs to act before games at the end of this generation start needing five or six DVDs. Xbox 360 Final Fantasy XIII anyone?
StatCounter - Free Web Tracker and Counter
Bang for your buck I guess
Lazy couch potatoes better skip this game.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:02 PM

1 disc is preferable, 3 discs is not a deal breaker.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:03 PM

Nah - they don't blu..they don't need hdmi, either.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:04 PM

It still is an exception, not the norm, still though, I think MS should definitely look into Blu Ray as a storage medium for the next generation.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 12-08-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
It still is an exception, not the norm, still though, I think MS should definitely look into Blu Ray as a storage medium for the next generation.
I would like to see a list of all the 360 games that have more than one disc. How many are there? 5?

Regardless, MS using Blu-ray for 360 games this generation is just not going to happen. They have to keep producing in DVD because they can't force everyone to buy a Blu-ray player. So, what's the point of releasing on Blu-ray? It will only affect a fraction of the user base (i.e. those who choose to buy the Blu-ray add-on).
Old 12-08-2008, 03:11 PM

I could see MS using a variant of HD DVD for its next Xbox (essentially pirate proof since nobody besides their publishers will have a HD DVD press).
The reason they didn't use HD DVD in the first place was there was problem and trades off they weren't ready to make, The ps3 has them but with the way games are developing in the long run it will pay off. In the end I think that even 3 or 5 dvds won't matter if you can load the game to the hard drive, also there wont be a lot of filler and load time issues.
besides the original PS and PS2 had two or three discs games and that never bothered me.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Lost Odyssey had 4 dvds, didn't stop it from being a great game. Plus when you're playing 10 hours or more per disc, to swap a disc every 10 hours or so of gameplay is hardly a dealbreaker.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Watcher of stances

multiple disks don't matter much for RPG's as you generally only need to swap when the story necessitates it. especially if compressing the sound/textures or leaving out content to fit it on one disk is the alternative.

would be a pain however if we have to do it for games that required more frequent environment changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
I could see MS using a variant of HD DVD for its next Xbox (essentially pirate proof since nobody besides their publishers will have a HD DVD press).
The reason they didn't use HD DVD in the first place was there was problem and trades off they weren't ready to make, The ps3 has them but with the way games are developing in the long run it will pay off. In the end I think that even 3 or 5 dvds won't matter if you can load the game to the hard drive, also there wont be a lot of filler and load time issues.
besides the original PS and PS2 had two or three discs games and that never bothered me.
proprietary media is a speedbump in the deterrence of piracy.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:16 PM

I don't get it... When the format war was happening, all the faithful, the media, the fans, even the BDA made it known that Bluray isn't Sony's format yet post format war it seems that everyone keeps mentioning like it is. Don't get me wrong, I know Sony is the biggest players of Blu, but they aren't the only ones. Note how biased the article is, mentioning HDDVD more than once to promote Blu I'll say this though, I hope the next gen XBOX does have Bluray playback in it.

Also, I'm not a fan of RPGs but disk swapping was expected for large RPG type of games on the 360. There are large RPG games on multiple disks already, why the need to talk about it now with Star Ocean?. Good thing MS now has that optional HDD install to overcome this whole disk swapping business. Now if only they dropped the price a lil for those unfortunate not to have an HDD or a small HDD. It is a convenience thing more than anything. Sure it feels old school to swap disks but is it a deal breaker? Not really, at least not in my book. It's not like you'll be swapping disks every 5 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
Nah - they don't blu..they don't need hdmi, either.
Component + optical says hello
Old 12-08-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
It's only a talking point now because the competition has a format that can use 1 disc. If it didn't this would never get brought up.