UBI says Splinter Cell Conviction couldn't be done on PS3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Default UBI says Splinter Cell Conviction couldn't be done on PS3

Magazine article:

- No more sneaking around in the shadows. Apparently you're going to be more like James Bond and infiltrate buildings in plain daylight. You won't have to use force or sneak around as long as you don't act suspiciously.

- According to the article, every single object that is rendered on screen has physical properties and most of them can be used by Sam. For example, Sam can pick up furniture and use it as a weapon, or throw printers at enemies or papers in the face of enemies to gain the upperhand in fights.

- Melee fights are much more than "press this button to hit" this time around. There's different context sensitive attack buttons and as mentioned before lots of environmental interaction.

- Some pretty negative comments about the ps3 made by the devs. They state the fact that they are exclusive to the 360 allows them to do much more than if they were multiplatform (duh) but they also state they doubt they would be able to achieve what they're doing with the game on the 360 on the ps3 even if it was ps3 exclusive.

The lead programmer told the magazine he doubts they would have been able to pull of the lightning effects they have right now on the ps3. That's the only thing they say straight out, but they do state they believe they're much better off on the 360.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:43 PM

Can't really argue with this. It wouldn't be impossible to make on PS3 I think, but it would take a lot more effort than Ubisoft is willing to dedicate at this point. I'd rather wait for when they are ready than get another half assed port.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:46 PM

Don't be surprised to see a PS3 port of Conviction in like... 6 months.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
Magazine article:
Who can argue with that source?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:35 AM

Yeah, after looking at the screens of Convicition, I'd like to know how Ubi-Soft is incapable of making a game that looks like a first-gen+ 360 title on PS3:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/gallery/spl...ice-257959.php
Old 05-05-2007, 03:03 AM

Default oookayyy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
Magazine article:

- No more sneaking around in the shadows. Apparently you're going to be more like James Bond and infiltrate buildings in plain daylight. You won't have to use force or sneak around as long as you don't act suspiciously.

- According to the article, every single object that is rendered on screen has physical properties and most of them can be used by Sam. For example, Sam can pick up furniture and use it as a weapon, or throw printers at enemies or papers in the face of enemies to gain the upperhand in fights.

- Melee fights are much more than "press this button to hit" this time around. There's different context sensitive attack buttons and as mentioned before lots of environmental interaction.

- Some pretty negative comments about the ps3 made by the devs. They state the fact that they are exclusive to the 360 allows them to do much more than if they were multiplatform (duh) but they also state they doubt they would be able to achieve what they're doing with the game on the 360 on the ps3 even if it was ps3 exclusive.

The lead programmer told the magazine he doubts they would have been able to pull of the lightning effects they have right now on the ps3. That's the only thing they say straight out, but they do state they believe they're much better off on the 360.
====================================
)

I guess they don't have the resources and know how to do it right for the PS3, but claiming it can't be done is very general. Can't be done using their method of "doing it" could be true. Well, it's better for all than a crap port.

Metal Gear Solid 4 pics looks better than theirs so I guess this isn't really about the power of PS3.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:08 AM

For once Im going to agree with both of you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
Who can argue with that source?
HEY! It's a MAG-A-ZZZZZINE. Thats all you need to know.) Yeah, MasterX you gotta give some links, or at least name the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
Yeah, after looking at the screens of Convicition, I'd like to know how Ubi-Soft is incapable of making a game that looks like a first-gen+ 360 title on PS3:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/gallery/spl...ice-257959.php
I think the game looks great in those scans. Not necesserily "first-gen", but we'll see... UBI Soft's games have always been on the cutting edge graphic wise. But other than that, I seriously doubt they said they COULDN'T do it. Maybe just not as easily. They might have been refering to the development difficulties with the PS3 that have been cited by some.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:00 AM

Most likely the lighting effects they are having trouble achieving is because the 360 gpu is much better at HDR lighting than the PS3's RSX. You can already tell from the first Splinter Cell game for the PS3 that the lighting was way better on the 360 version. Ubisofts needs to get off their ass and do it though because Ninja Theory doesn't seem to have any problem doing it at all on Heavenly Sword.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:18 AM

I read the scans are really just early artwork.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:27 AM

I'll help ya out, here's a link.

http://www.mygen.com.au/article.php?...id=29&format=2

and another

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=163440