Wipeout HD not always "Full HD" - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,294
Default Wipeout HD not always "Full HD"

In a nutshell, it seems like Wipeout HD dynamically changes its render resolution based on the graphical complexity on the screen at the time. It's not full HD all the time, ranges from 1280x1080 a la GT5P to true, full HD 1920x1080.

http://insidethedigitalfoundry.blogs...t-of-hand.html

So here's some smackdown on the PS3 from a PS3 lover, on the lack of full HD games. Still, it begs the question, would you rather downgrade the resolution or let the frame rate suffer? I'd prefer a stable, smooth framerate.

Still, I guess the PS3 doesn't have the power to run a game like Wipeout HD at full HD all the time without slowdown...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-25-2008, 03:07 AM
Shoeless's Avatar
HDD Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,062
Default

Like I said in another thread, to keep it at 60 fps, this doesn't come as a total surprise to me. It would have been nice to keep it at a constant "true" 1080p, but I'll take this over a frame rate drop any day of the week.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-25-2008, 03:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,536
Default

Im not mad at the pppps3
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2008, 03:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,259
Default

I think that that's a very cool feature actually. Instead of dropping the resolution of the whole game (like say in CoD4 or GTA4) they can do it only when needed while ensuring the stability of the framerate. Few people will notice the temporary resolution adjustment while pretty much everyone can see slowdown or tearing.
I like this sort of flexibility.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2008, 04:09 AM
WellInformed's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimgt View Post
In a nutshell, it seems like Wipeout HD dynamically changes its render resolution based on the graphical complexity on the screen at the time. It's not full HD all the time, ranges from 1280x1080 a la GT5P to true, full HD 1920x1080.

http://insidethedigitalfoundry.blogs...t-of-hand.html

So here's some smackdown on the PS3 from a PS3 lover, on the lack of full HD games. Still, it begs the question, would you rather downgrade the resolution or let the frame rate suffer? I'd prefer a stable, smooth framerate.

Still, I guess the PS3 doesn't have the power to run a game like Wipeout HD at full HD all the time without slowdown...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Like I said in another thread, to keep it at 60 fps, this doesn't come as a total surprise to me. It would have been nice to keep it at a constant "true" 1080p, but I'll take this over a frame rate drop any day of the week.
That's definitely not "a la GT5P." GT5P is 1280x1080 EXCEPT the garage area. Apparently, they are saying WipeoutHD is MAINLY 1920x1080 /60fps with temporary drops to resolutions AS LOW AS 1280x1080p/60fps (probably on split-screen). There's a BIG difference.

I wonder if this game is even running 100% on all the SPEs. That is suppose to be the final transition in the stages of transitioning systems over to the SPEs. Not only that there are supposedly almost endless software optimizations that can happen after that point. In other words, they are still learning the Cell and RSX together. This is an excellent implementation they have discovered while experimenting with the Cell and RSX..."dynamic buffers"?!

I wonder what we will see in the next 2 years?! The PS3 is definitely creating seperation in power/flexibility between itself and all other consoles (even with much harder development).

Last edited by WellInformed; 09-25-2008 at 04:20 AM. Reason: added a word
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Dark Lord Greg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellInformed View Post
That's definitely not "a la GT5P." GT5P is 1280x1080 EXCEPT the garage area. Apparently, they are saying WipeoutHD is MAINLY 1920x1080 /60fps with temporary drops to resolutions AS LOW AS 1280x1080p/60fps (probably on split-screen). There's a BIG difference.

I wonder if this game is even running 100% on all the SPEs. That is suppose to be the final transition in the stages of transitioning systems over to the SPEs. Not only that there are supposedly almost endless software optimizations that can happen after that point. In other words, they are still learning the Cell and RSX together. This is an excellent implementation they have discovered while experimenting with the Cell and RSX..."dynamic buffers"?!

I wonder what we will see in the next 2 years?! The PS3 is definitely creating seperation in power/flexibility between itself and all other consoles (even with much harder development).
now thats what I call spin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 AM
ArronC07's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M. View Post
I think that that's a very cool feature actually. Instead of dropping the resolution of the whole game (like say in CoD4 or GTA4) they can do it only when needed while ensuring the stability of the framerate. Few people will notice the temporary resolution adjustment while pretty much everyone can see slowdown or tearing.
I like this sort of flexibility.
Agreed. This "news" is actually a good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 AM
viewsonic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimgt View Post

Still, I guess the PS3 doesn't have the power to run a game like Wipeout HD at full HD all the time without slowdown...
Nonsense. Its a difficult console to develop for and developers are only just scratching the surface of what is capable of. The only way your statement would make any sense would be if it were an easy console to develop for and it was clearly being pushes to its limits. Like the 360 for instance.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 AM
WellInformed's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Greg View Post
now thats what I call spin
What? The MAINLY 1920x1080p /60fps part? Apparently, Wipeout HD IS mainly 1920x1080p /60fps.

The PS3 creating seperation between it and our consoles part? If that's why, this is the latest type of stuff that's having framerate slowdowns at 1920x1080 /30fps on the X360 (remember...easier development on the X360). Look at recent Gear 2 and R2 vids on Gametrailers. I would say "seperation" would be a pretty accurate word.

So what is it?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellInformed View Post
That's definitely not "a la GT5P." GT5P is 1280x1080 EXCEPT the garage area. Apparently, they are saying WipeoutHD is MAINLY 1920x1080 /60fps with temporary drops to resolutions AS LOW AS 1280x1080p/60fps (probably on split-screen). There's a BIG difference.
You misunderstood me there, what I meant there was that wipeout goes from 1280x1080 with stretching, just like GT5P at times, to full 1920x1080 based on frame complexity. 'A la GT5P' meant that when the game is at 1280x1080, it's doing the same thing GT5P is doing with stretching.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a novel idea and I doubt it'll be noticable in the heat of the action compared to frame rate drop, which everyone will notice, but still, maybe the PS3 isn't that powerful to render at full HD at 60 fps without having to resort to such clever tricks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Gunstringer full game DL, Fruit Ninja full game DL for X360 Kinect Master X Video Game Exchange 3 11-18-2011 11:16 AM
WipEout HD. dominica Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles 12 10-02-2008 02:47 PM
Wipeout HD for PS3 - delayed but no gaurentees for 08 release SweetBrownsugar Gaming Smackdown 32 08-06-2008 12:34 PM
Foreign Blu-Ray's: "Monster", "Copland", "Traffic", "The Machinist", "ZZ Top Live"... Arkadin Blu-ray Software General Discussion 2 04-17-2008 07:25 PM
Is Wipeout HD on the PSnetwork? freekedoutfish Game Room 3 02-15-2008 05:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off