Tretton's Explanation - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Formerly Pakman3000

Default Tretton's Explanation

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/07...fxiii-for-360/

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=19448

Quote:
Following Sony's E3 press conference, SCEA CEO and president Jack Tretton (pictured, left) sat down for a wide-ranging roundtable discussion that covered everything from Square Enix's decision to bring Final Fantasy XIII to the Xbox 360, the state and future of Home, PSP piracy, and Sony's desire to bring a PlayStation 2 to "every last consumer on earth."

Tretton came to the position from his former VP role relatively recently following the departure of "father of the PlayStation" Ken Kutaragi, and the subsequent promotion of former SCEA CEO Kaz Hirai to take Kutaragi's place. The announcement came almost immediately following the PlayStation 3's Japan and North America launch, but, as Tretton made clear in its conference, Sony's view of the last two years is that it's somewhat of a blink in the console's life.

Said Tretton: "We know what we're doing. I think we've demonstrated for two console generations that we have a long-term vision that works with consumers. We truly believe in what we say, whether you agree with it or not, that it is a long-term vision, and it is putting technology in consumers' hands that will pay benefits over time."

"One of Sony's fundamental weaknesses," he admitted, "is that there's one element of the company that thinks we're a hardware company and one element that thinks we're a software company and sometimes the two don't meet."

"It takes a learning curve for the software guys to get their minds around it," Tretton said, "but maybe some of the hardware could have been done better if [they had been involved]. Moving forward we need a better job of doing a collaborative effort with the hardware and software guys."

Tretton On Microsoft

Asked if he was aware of Microsoft's message and what Sony's reaction might be, Tretton joked, "Aware to the point that I feel like I knew everything before they even got up there... We certainly knew all of the fundamental messages."

"I think that every company thinks that they invented the wheel" he said, "but I think that my first reaction is that we must be doing a lot of things right because I see a lot of things that remind me of what we're doing."

Asked if he was disappointed to see Final Fantasy officially make its move to Microsoft's console, he added, "I guess disappointed is clearly an appropriate term. Surprised or consider it to be something that's avoidable? Probably not so much."

"One thing that's crystal clear that I hope you understand," he continued, "from the beginning when we got into the business, people said, '[Sony has] no software development heritage' and we knew that. We invested heavily in internal development and as far back as '95 we reached out and did some licensed publishing."

"In my opinion," said Tretton, "the decision that we made is that we were going to invest in internal development, the majority of our resources and over half of our employee base all over the world. We've built up our base and that's where we've chosen to spend our dollars."

"I think Microsoft has spent the majority of their money on trying to curry favor with third parties," he said. "I think software companies look and say, 'There's no check big enough for us to do exclusive development.' I think it's going to be harder and harder to have third-party exclusives as we move forward," instead offering that, "Exclusives to me mean Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, and MotorStorm."

Tretton On Hirai

Asked how Hirai's move to Japan has helped the company overall, Tretton offered, "There's no question that Kutaragi-san ruled with an iron fist and it was his vision with the technology that the regions were very autonomous back to day one."

"Kaz understands [the U.S. market], and he understands the challenges of publishing a platform [in Japan]. The other change that isn't apparent on the surface is that Howard Stringer is very aware of our business," he said. "Now it's much more collaborative."

"We have a huge impact on music, movies, consumer electronics," he concluded. "We can no longer be an island off the coast of Sony Corp."

Tretton On Waiting

Throughout the conference, Tretton stressed that as the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2 didn't see some of its most beloved titles until well into their respective lifecycles -- noting that God of War was a year-seven PS2 title, but he said today that there was no intentional 'just wait' message.

"I don't think that 'just you wait' is the message we wanted to deliver though I could see how you want to intepret it that way," he said. "We wanted to lend a little historical perspective. What is selling PS3s today, to your point, is not where we're going to be in years four, six or ten."

"I think there's enough there that consumers are going out and buying 155 percent more hardware than they did last year at this time. That's the proof of what we have today," he continued. "We tried to walk that line of talking about the present and that future perspective. We wanted to avoid making promises that we can't keep. I would hope that the vast majority of that stuff we talked about would be a reality when I stand here a year from now."

Tretton On Home

On its forthcoming 3D avatar space Home, Tretton offered, that, despite long delays in its release, Sony was now 'on track' with the initiative.

"I think we built a little bit of a grandiose picture of what Home can and will be," he admitted, "we painted ourselves into a corner of not only when it will be available and what it will be. I think that's one of the fundamental disconnects of a company to take something from the creative minds and turn it over to the pragmatic business minds."

Asked whether Microsoft's similar 'avatar' initiative fundamental to its interface redesign put added pressure on Sony, Tretton said "I don't know enough about Microsoft's avatars. I think we're going in a bit of a different direction with Home. We made a line in the sand and made a strategic decision on Home and that's where we're going."

"My understanding is that it's a more simplified vision," he added. "That may be enough for some and not enough for others. We are who we are. You have to be who you are. You can't backpedal down a road if it doesn't appear it's going to plan. You have to be aware what's not resounding with people. We've got a plan for PS3. I think the worst thing we could do is look at the competition and try and do what they're doing."

But, on its progress, Tretton did say, "I think it's in no man's land. Home is not a software title. It needed a lot of hardware engineering support. It didn't get built up beyond what you'd expect from a software title until very recently."

"There was a lot of learning recently and a little naivete about how we'd build it," he admitted. "It took us awhile to figure out what it was and how you'd build it. I'd rather ship it two years from now and have it be filled with a lot of great stuff than open it up as a ghost town, so I think we've got to do a good job of populating it. The shell is there, but we have to get all the good destinations."

During its conference, Sony revealed that not only had a number of third-party publishers like Ubisoft and EA signed up to create spaces in Home, but non-gaming companies like Nike.

Asked if the price to enter the space had come down, Tretton offered that "the cost of entry is enormous for any development decision... The best proof that there is something there with Home is that these guys are there with it," he said. "We tend to try to earn respect and show people a business model that has a good return on investment."

Tretton On Home Theater Buyers Versus Gamers

Asked if the PlayStation 3's role as a media center was frustrating to the company's focus on delivering games, Tretton admitted that "Kutaragi-san built the PS3 as the supercomputer for the home. We thought there was a risk of losing the gaming identity of the PlayStation 3, so we tried to distance ourself from that and understood the credibility would be built with games."

But, he continued, "I don't think we can deny our heritage of selling the PS3 short as only a games machine... The majority of people consume media beyond games. I don't think even the most hardcore gamer will associate zero value with the multimedia features."

Asked if there were any internal programs to try and convert Blu-ray and home theater buyers into gamers rather than gamers into media consumers, Tretton said Sony had "the same opportunity as the Wii" to convert non-gamers into gamers. "Now it's about throwing the breadth of the library at them."

Tretton On PSP And Piracy

Moving to the PSP, Tretton was asked if there were plans for a PSP with more storage space, which he admitted had been thought about internally. "I think you're seeing a migration as the cost of memory comes down and we see it slimmer and lighter. There's certainly a march toward a digital delivery device. I think that's the trend moving forward."

Asked why, even with sales on the uptick -- primarily in Japan -- sales for PSP software were still relatively low, Tretton offered "three very good and distinct reasons for that."

"Multimedia functionality: you're not just turning it on to play games," he said. "Number two: quality of games. People are not interested in buying a PS2 port. Number three: the biggest reason lately has been piracy. We've been able to track that hundreds of thousands of sales, in the case of God of War, are walking out the door on day one."

And what can Sony do to remedy the piracy problem? "We have remedies moving forward," he said. "What it doesn't help you on the 13 million people who own it in the US and 35-38 million who own it worldwide. We'll take steps to close the loopholes and people will open new ones."

Tretton On PS2 Everywhere

Finally, turning to the PlayStation 2, Tretton was asked if there was a plan in place to bring it to $99. "Nothing I can tell you besides that it will be a card that can be played and will be played," he offered, concluding confidently, "We're going to go after every last consumer on earth the PS2."
Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 PM

Man... Looking at those screen shots... I think I'm significantly more likely to buy this game now despite my lack of enthusiasm for the Genera... It'd be worth it just to admire those kinds of graphics.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:38 PM

Kind of on subject, I found this tidbit from a 1up interview with Sony:

Quote:
1UP: Does Insomniac own the Resistance IP, or does Sony?

SR [Sony]: I'm not going to comment on that.
Hmmmm.. if Insomniac doesn’t see the sales they are expecting on PS3, could we ever see Resistance on Xbox?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Formerly Pakman3000

For the worker bees:
Quote:
E3 2008: Sony Says 'Stand By For Tokyo Game Show'

VP Scott Rohde discusses the FFXIII shocker, Sony's product strategy, and more.
By Philip Kollar, 07/17/2008

E3 2008 -- the game industry's biggest convention (arguably) -- is happening all this week! Check out E3.1UP.COM for news, previews, podcasts, videos, blogs, and more direct from the Los Angeles Convention Center.
Whether you thought its press conference was the best of the bunch or were bored to tears by it, you'd be hard-pressed to deny that E3 week has been big for Sony in several ways. Among announcing a handful of new titles, showcasing several eagerly awaited ones, and losing one of their biggest third-party exclusives, the list of upcoming game releases for Sony is more important than ever. I had a chance to speak to Sony Vice President of Product Development Scott Rohde about the company's E3 showing alongside Sony PR manager Ron Eagle on Wednesday afternoon.

1UP: What are your feelings, and Sony's feelings in general, after the Tuesday's press conferences? Has the reaction from fans been what you wanted?

Scott Rohde: I think the reaction has been even better than we expected. Everyone's been very, very happy. We went in announcing that this was the year of the PlayStation, and we showed tons of breadth and depth. We showed a bunch of new titles and everything.

1UP: Among the announcements yesterday, you have Resistance becoming a Greatest Hits title, the Resistance 2 trailer and gameplay footage -- which I thought was astonishing, by the way -- and then the PSP Resistance spin-off, so clearly, Sony is pushing Resistance as its next huge franchise. What makes you guys feel that Resistance is a franchise that's worth getting this much attention and this many new products? SR: First of all, it goes without saying that Insomniac is just a supersolid developer. They create triple-A products all the time. We debuted Resistance 2 yesterday. You were at the press conference, I assume, so you saw the scale of the enemies in there. It's just completely coming together as this gigantic, epic story. We're just very excited about that product.

1UP: Do you think there's going to be room to continue spinning the Resistance franchise off into other products in the future? Does Insomniac have plans to end the story at some point, or do you think the studio will be able to keep it going?

SR: I'm not going to comment on specifics, but we're always looking for opportunities to expand our franchises.

1UP: If you add in the Ratchet and Clank downloadable content that you announced, which also looks really cool, and the Ratchet PSP bundle, Insomniac comes out as a really big player at the press conference. It had a lot of its products on show, or at least a lot of stuff related to their franchises. Does it worry you at all that you're so reliant on a developer that you don't own?

SR: No, it doesn't worry us at all. We have a good relationship with those guys. They've been working with us here at Sony for a long time. I just had dinner with Insomniac CEO Ted Price the other night. It's a good relationship. They build good products, and they liking working with Sony. We're not worried.

1UP: Does Insomniac own the Resistance IP, or does Sony?

SR: I'm not going to comment on that.

1UP: One of the things that appeared to be different between the Sony and Microsoft press conferences was Microsoft's focus on a lot of third-party games. A lot of the third-party stuff that you did show was relegated to montage videos rather than its own spotlight. Is there a specific reasoning behind that? Did you want to focus on first-party titles to show that you have a strong first-party? Is Sony still pushing for third-party exclusives very much?

SR: Part of the strength of Sony's structure is that our worldwide studios organization is huge. We have tons of gigantic worldwide developers, so we have tons of products. That's why Jack Tretton was able to stand there and say we have more exclusives than anybody else, because it's absolutely true. We're building a lot of them ourselves. So, of course, in this press conference we want to push our own homegrown titles, like LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2.

1UP: About the LittleBigPlanet thing, I've got to say -- from the standpoint of someone who had to watch both press conferences, the LittleBigPlanet thing was so much more interesting than the PowerPoint with numbers that Nintendo President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime did.

SR: [Laughs] It was brilliant. I think it was one of the first times everyone had to stop checking their BlackBerrys during that part of the press conference, because it was totally interesting.

1UP: I was live-blogging both press conferences, and during Nintendo's, when Reggie was giving numbers, I wrote a lot of the numbers because, otherwise, I wasn't sure how I would stay awake. During Sony's, I wasn't actually writing that many of the specific numbers because I wanted to watch it and just enjoy it. It was a lot of fun.

SR: We actually all joked about it internally. Will we have to do all our internal presentations and PowerPoints using LittleBigPlanet now?

1UP: Back to the Ratchet and Clank DLC -- like I said, I'm excited for that. I think it's a really cool idea. Will you need a copy of Ratchet and Clank: Future -- Tools of Destruction to play it?

SR: No, not at all. It can stand by itself. The whole idea behind Quest for Booty is that for those who already love the franchise and already own Tools of Destruction, why not go buy a little extension? But for those who aren't familiar with the franchise, this is a really inexpensive way to get a quick taste. We're pretty confident that they'll be hooked, too.

1UP: Will there be any bonuses in Quest for Booty for people who do have the full game?

SR: I'm not sure of that off-hand. You'd have to ask the production staff.

Ron Eagle: I'm sure if there is, they need a little time to build the rest of the schedule for when they'll be announcing stuff.

SR: But to stick to Quest for Booty for a minute -- I think that title specifically shows the strength of the PlayStation Network. It's not just tiny little games like you might see on competitive services. We're really focused on offering something that's totally exclusive, and these are real, full dev teams making these games. This is premium content on the PSN. We're very excited about it.

1UP: Tretton said at the press conference that it's likely that other Sony franchises will get similar PSN spin-offs -- more downloadable content add-ons that maybe aren't full games but act as sort of mini-adventures. Are there any franchises that you'd specifically like to see extended in this way? Not necessarily anything that you're confirming is in development, but just stuff that you'd like to see?

SR: Again, I'm not going to give any specifics, but the bottom line is that we're going to explore everything. Why not? The PlayStation Network is a very important part of our business. We want to make sure that it's fresh content there all the time. Let's take a title like Pain, for example. I know it was born on the PSN, but it will almost be more content than the original release when we announce the Amusement Park add-on this summer. It just shows our dedication to sticking to the franchises that are on there but also looking at our whole lineup and seeing what opportunities are out there.

1UP: Just to throw it out there, I would really love to see an Uncharted mini-adventure, or maybe that could be the place where Jak and Daxter finally comes to the PlayStation 3. These are just ideas that I'm interested in.

SR: We're exploring everything. [To Ron] We'll have to invite him to our product-portfolio planning meeting.

1UP: I would love that.

RE: That would be a pretty heavy NDA [nondisclosure agreement] he'd have to sign. [Laughs]

1UP: The new PlayStation 2 and PSP pack-ins that Sony announced were both described as family-focused, family-friendly products. Is there any reason that you want to shift these two products to a family focus at this point?

SR: For PS2, that's the stage of its lifecycle that it's in. As you saw in the press conference, we're also going to be really pushing the PS2 into Latin America. That machine has the most amazing set of legs on it. It continues to sell, and that's the demographic that's buying the PS2 right now. A lot of these families are buying a console for the first time, and our marketing guys have done a great job of putting together a bundle that will appeal to their needs.

And for PSP, we're in an expansion period still, where we're trying to grow from not just the hardcore guys. We want to see who else out there really wants to play. Is it families? We don't think it's just our hardcore guys. We think it's going to expand.

1UP: Will we see more games coming out for the PSP that reflect this attitude? I think a lot of the PSP's catalog is better suited to hardcore gamers, and while I appreciate that, it might not appeal to the family quite as much. I guess you announced Buzz! for the PSP....

SR: That's what I was going to hit on as the first example of that. We're going to start exploring that area on the PSP as well. But of course, we're always going to keep pleasing our hardcore fans, our bread and butter, with games like Resistance: Retribution.

RE: LocoRoco 2 should make families happy as well.

1UP: Yeah, I suppose. I didn't think of that. I think of LocoRoco 2 as a hardcore game, but....

RE: I've got an 8-year-old that's just now getting dexterous to the point where she can handle a controller, and she loves LocoRoco.

1UP: LocoRoco is one of those games that seem to somehow magically appeal to both the hardcore and the casual gamers. I don't think it gets enough credit for that, but somehow it pulls it off.

SR: In fact, anecdotally as well, a friend of mine has a 4-year-old that played the first LocoRoco start to finish. It blew my mind. It was the first game he had ever played from start to finish. He just got it. So I forgot about LocoRoco 2 and also Patapon 2.

1UP: Patch 2.41 for the PlayStation 3 is a major update for the system and brought some awesome upgrades to it. One of those upgrades was the in-game Cross Media Bar. Now that we have that and can access it at any point, why should we care about Home? Why should we still be excited by Home?

SR: Home is a totally different experience than what you can do in-game with the XMB. We're really proud of the fact that our system is constantly evolving, and both the XMB patches and what we're planning for Home are part of that big strategy. With Home, we're trying to figure out how we can give the community something they've never experienced before. It's a totally different experience than what you see on the XMB. XMB's a menu, and Home is an experience.

1UP: In the press conference, you briefly showed off a couple of examples of some of the game-specific areas in Home. Will we be seeing more of those before the service goes into public beta or launches?

SR: Once again, we're always exploring opportunities for every single game. Let me talk about some of the specifics. I'm not sure if you had a chance to go check out the Warhawk one, for example.

1UP: No, I haven't yet.

SR: The idea behind it is -- you could barely see it in the press-conference video, but it's a sandbox area. Groups of people who want to hook up and play in the game can strategize a bit, move pieces around the sandbox, say, "Hey, I want to go around this building, and you guys flank me on the left." Whatever the story is, right? Then they can launch from that right into the game. It's not just another advertisement for the game inside of Home. It's a new interactive space that is attached to the game.

1UP: Rather than opening up Home, walking over to that area, and getting your friends to meet you there, can you launch right into that area of Home?

SR: I'm not going to give a ton of details, but I know that there are plans for hot jumps within menus to jump from area to area.

1UP: One of the other things that you showed off at the press conference was a lot of footage from Gran Turismo TV. What surprised me, though, was that you didn't show any gameplay add-ons for Gran Turismo 5: Prologue. Can gamers still expect new gameplay additions for that?

SR: Ron's actually your Gran Turismo man, so I'm going to let him answer that.

RE: Yes, they've got downloadable-content plans beyond GTTV. And of course, we're also in production on the full version of GT5. What GTTV was really about was additional feature sets. We're looking at a gamer's overall experience in GT5: Prologue and building on the infrastructure that's already there. Some of the updates that I know about that we're planning have tweaks to leaderboards and game matching -- some of the stuff that isn't sexy but makes the gameplay experience better. But GTTV is significant in the sense that if you are a big automotive fan, a lot of the content that we're putting in there is very difficult for somebody to get. To find the best motoring DVDs, for example, you have to import them, and they're quite expensive. We're actually allowing you to pick an episode [and] download that content directly into the game. We've already captured that audience. They're automotive fans, and that's why they bought Gran Turismo 5: Prologue to begin with. It makes sense to house that content in there.

1UP: Yeah, although the GTTV content specifically doesn't appeal to me, it's cool to see something being built around a game that appeals to the culture of the game's fans. Will Sony explore similar possibilities in other games? Is there a culture around other types of games that you could exploit in a similar way? I'm not sure what kind of extras you'd build for hardcore fans of Resistance, for instance....

SR: Again, I'm going to give you that default answer that I know you hate for me to repeat over and over, but we're always going to explore those options. A driving game kind of lends itself to this because there's so much content out there that you can't get easily in the U.S. Of course we'll explore it, but we have to find the right product to do it with.

RE: It's an interesting question. It makes sense. Somebody has to be the pioneer, to step out there and make it happen. It may be hard or it may be easy to find a way to fit that kind of content into Resistance, but what I was thinking about when you said that is the historical aspect of some games. The plotlines and stories of our games are getting so deep now that it may be interesting to tie some of the historical references and real inspirations into the game.

1UP: Looking at the PS3 and the Xbox 360 as well, consoles are turning from videogame machines into all-around media machines. So if you look at videogames as becoming this more all-around media experience, GTTV could almost be a pioneer in that field. It makes me wonder what else could be done with other types of games in other genres, and what could end up expanding from that. It's interesting to think about.

SR: Absolutely. And I think the beauty of a company like Sony is that we've always hung our hat on allowing developers to be innovative and try new things. New business models, new ways to get content to users -- GTTV is a perfect example of that. It's a great idea to start exploring that kind of thing.

1UP: You had mentioned that Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty shows how Sony is exploring unique games for the PlayStation Network compared to the competition. One thing that you've also been doing on the PSN, though, is rereleasing original PlayStation games. I'm a fan of that. I like having an archive of older games to go back to, and I love having them available as downloads. But in the U.S., PS1 games have been coming a lot slower than in Japan. Is there any reason for that? Will we be getting a lot more at some point?

SR: We're always looking at our back catalog, and if consumers are asking for specific titles, we're going to take a look at them. There's no specific reason releases have been slower.

1UP: I was with 1UP Editorial Director Sam Kennedy at the Sony press conference, and he had one question after it ended: Where's Wipeout HD?

SR: I'm not sure I know how to answer that right now. There are still some decisions being made on that particular product for the U.S.

1UP: I was also sitting next to 1UP executive editor Matt Leone. I don't know if you guys are familiar with Leone, but he's a huge God of War fan. I asked him what he thought about the teaser, and his only response was, "It was kind of short."

SR: [Laughs] That's why it's called a teaser.

1UP: I suppose so! Was there any reason why you chose not to show gameplay at this point? Was it just not ready yet?

SR: It's all having fun with you guys. We just wanted to let you guys know that Kratos is coming. We'll continue to keep you guys updated, though.

1UP: I have to ask about it. You knew it had to come up. Final Fantasy XIII on the Xbox 360 was Microsoft's big announcement at its press conference. Speaking as someone who bought a PlayStation 3 shortly after its release, one of the ways I justified the purchase to myself and to my girlfriend was by saying, "Listen, it's the only place I'll be able to get Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII."

SR: [Laughs] And now your girlfriend's calling you a liar?

1UP: I haven't told her yet. I hope she doesn't read this interview. But for someone who might not have purchased a PS3 yet but is planning to, and Final Fantasy XIII is one of the primary reasons, you no longer have that pushing them toward the PS3 now. Does Sony have anything in the works that might appeal to Japanese role-playing-game fans specifically?

SR: We have a long-term strategy that we follow. I know you hate to continue to hear me say it, but we're always looking at opportunities. Do we have an RPG in the works right now? No. Are we always looking at that opportunity? Absolutely. To get to the root of your question, are we concerned about the fact that Final Fantasy XIII is not only on PS3? No. That's why we always have a long-term strategy that we're working on. Jack made that very clear in the press conference.

1UP: You're not too upset about the announcement? You don't think it's very pressing?

RE: Again, you've got 23 exclusives already on the PS3 from a first-party perspective. If Microsoft wants to back up the dump truck full of money, there's not a whole lot that can be done there. Certainly, Final Fantasy XIII is still coming on PS3, so it's not like it's not on your system anymore. It's being developed first for the PS3, so your experience is probably going to be better on the PS3 than it will be on the 360. I haven't seen it or played it; [this is] just based on what I've been told. It's definitely a win for the 360 owner, and Microsoft should be applauded for that, but it's not a loss for us. It's not like the title is not coming out on the PlayStation 3. It is.

I'd also stand by for Tokyo Game Show. There are still other products that need time to incubate before they're announced.

1UP: Is there anything you want to leave Sony fans with so they know what they should be excited about for the future?

SR: The big story of E3 for us is a lot of fall releases. LittleBigPlanet is coming, which I think the world should be really excited about. We've got Resistance 2. We've got MotorStorm: Pacific Rift. We've got NBA 09: The Inside. There's a lot of stuff coming. When you start talking about the future, the little teaser we showed on God of War 3, the MAG announcement -- these are products that we're very excited about. To drive home Jack's message, this is the year of the PlayStation, and from my perspective, it's just the tip of the iceberg. Momentum is really starting to slide in our direction.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:18 PM

Tretton's interview was a pretty good read. I really hope home is worth it. If not, no sweat - just add to xmb functionality. Not a FF follower, so I'm probably not going to read that 2nd thing.

Thanks for posting it all out for us worker bees though - that's very helpful.

The thing about home is, they're taking all of this time/money/resources to add a cool gaming community feeling with tons of functionality and potential. I really like the idea in theory. However, I'm not really sure how it works in practice. The functionality, like staging rooms to plan for a game, and movie screenings, and virtual stores are awesome -- but at the same time, they could probably be easily released as simple functions of the xmb, or in dev kits so that each dev can put it in a game.

My problem is, I think we're probably waiting for all of these cool features much longer than we would otherwise, because they're having to develop all that frivolous other stuff that reminds people of Second life.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Formerly Pakman3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
Thanks for posting it all out for us worker bees though - that's very helpful.
I gotta go to work in a few so I would except the same. Part of the SDF/MAD Smackdown Accords.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I gotta go to work in a few so I would except the same. Part of the SDF/MAD Smackdown Accords.
Rofl, agreed.

Imo, Home is the same sort of risk as the 360's XBL. It's a big step forward with tons of promise and possibilities - but it all goes to hell in a hand basket if the community rejects it. Sony has to ensure, as Tretton said, that this place is one where people want to spend some of their time on occasion. I think they're doing that.

Imagine how cool the ubisoft store experience could be. It doesn't even have to be realistic, you could walk in and essentially interact with characters from their upcoming games - or step through a door and get to walk through the first part of a new level in an upcoming game.

Just a shit-ton of potential, but this is super-risky. It could also be a lame cavernous concrete hallway, with an empty outside area.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM

Stand by for Tokyo? I hope we get more JRPGs. Hell one above average one will do. I didn't even know Xbox fans were into that genre