Official PS3 External Hard Drive - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 AM

Default Official PS3 External Hard Drive

Is there gonna be one.... my HD is full and i dont wanna open my baby up. Being a sony nut I want an official PS3 external Hard Drive.

is there gonna be one? piano black would be nice...
Old 04-13-2008, 09:26 AM

Why would there be? The Western Digital MyBook hard drives have a good gloss black finish in them, with blue LED activity light that matches PS3 very nicely. The 500 GB one can usually be found for < $100.

And you don't have to open your baby to upgrade the internal drive, it's just one plastic cover on the left side of the console and one screw to pull out the drive. The instructions are actually in the manual and it's pretty simple.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:35 AM

Yeah its just a simple 2.5 inch laptop drive. Easy to install.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 AM

Here's the overkill version of the MyBook:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136186

Best Buy currently sells the 500 GB version for $119 iirc.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkubus View Post
Is there gonna be one.... my HD is full and i dont wanna open my baby up. Being a sony nut I want an official PS3 external Hard Drive.

is there gonna be one? piano black would be nice...
I'm curious.. how have you managed to fill your PS3's hard drive up? I struggled to fill my 20gb 360 HD up, and now I have a 120gb Elite it's virtually empty, and that's with all those Live Arcade games...

My PS3 HD has Super StarDust and Everyday Shooter on it... that's it.

Unless you're not using streaming and are copying a bunch of media to it...? (if so, why?)
Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 AM

Media playback from the internal hard drive is easier to use (streaming doesn't work that well in my experience, they really need to get their own official DLNA software out there, so an external drive with music/videos on it is the way to go), and you can sort videos/music/photos on the fly if they are on the internal hard drive. Also, remember that some PS3 games have mandatory 4 GB installs, others with optional, and this trend will probably continue. Some people also have lots of PSN games and demos.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
Media playback from the internal hard drive is easier to use (streaming doesn't work that well in my experience, they really need to get their own official DLNA software out there, so an external drive with music/videos on it is the way to go), and you can sort videos/music/photos on the fly if they are on the internal hard drive. Also, remember that some PS3 games have mandatory 4 GB installs, others with optional, and this trend will probably continue. Some people also have lots of PSN games and demos.
Steming media works flawlessly. So you shouldn't have a prob with that. There are only 2 games atm with maditory installs. And to fill the rest up with demo's/DLed games is still alot. I would recomend that you delete the demo's you don't play anymore.

The 40gig HD is more then enough room for anyone atm.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphjp View Post
Steming media works flawlessly. So you shouldn't have a prob with that. There are only 2 games atm with maditory installs. And to fill the rest up with demo's/DLed games is still alot. I would recomend that you delete the demo's you don't play anymore.

The 40gig HD is more then enough room for anyone atm.
Streaming doesn't work flawlessly, and the OP obviously will have their own reasons for wanting an external HD. Even wired up straight to a computer, streaming video performance is pretty bad (tried Orb, TVersity, Nero MediaHome, WMP, all of them are pretty poor at streaming video to PS3). Also, streaming requires having more electronics on then you need. Having an external drive is a fine solution, as is upgrading the internal one.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
I'm curious.. how have you managed to fill your PS3's hard drive up? I struggled to fill my 20gb 360 HD up, and now I have a 120gb Elite it's virtually empty, and that's with all those Live Arcade games...

My PS3 HD has Super StarDust and Everyday Shooter on it... that's it.

Unless you're not using streaming and are copying a bunch of media to it...? (if so, why?)
The PS3 allows you to store your own video files, such as divx, into the hard drive of the PS3 while the 360 does not.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 AM

A Sony nut?