USA Today calls out Sony: 'from top dog to underdog in record time' - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Default USA Today calls out Sony: 'from top dog to underdog in record time'

Nothing most of us don't know but it's still more bad press for PS3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/20/us...-in-record-ti/

USA Today calls out Sony: 'from top dog to underdog in record time'

USA Today, who purports to have the widest circulation of any newspaper in the United States, published a story today discussing Sony's fall from an almost monopolistic first place with the PlayStation 2 to less-than-stellar sales with the PlayStation 3.

Drawing from the February NPD <http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/16/february-npd-data-show-ds-wii-on-top/> figures, writer Mike Snider places Sony in third place with 127,000 in PS3 unit sales, behind home consoles Xbox 360 (228,000) and Nintendo Wii (335,000). This is in addition to anecdotal evidence that the PlayStation 3 is easily available in stores while the Wii is still hard to find. Total Wii sales in the U.S. are estimated to 1.9 million while Sony has 1.1 million.

Newsweek's N'Gai Croal chimes in on reasons for Sony's ranking, including price, software lineup and negative press. Of course, early runnings mean nothing long-term, and the PlayStation 3 could easily pick up steam following release of heavy-hitting games, PS Home and a possible price drop. Still, when you got one of the biggest newspapers giving less-than-complimentary status reports it can't be good for business.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 AM

Definitely a great article. Sony isn't in any trouble persay but they really need to get off of their 'Blu-Ray is the best' throne and realize that they have a system that needs GAMES in order to sell.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChaos View Post
Definitely a great article. Sony isn't in any trouble persay but they really need to get off of their 'Blu-Ray is the best' throne and realize that they have a system that needs GAMES in order to sell.
they are making over 100 games for PS3 them selfs.... only 30 of them have been announced.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:30 PM

AM I the only person who got a 360 on launch date or a PS2 or a PSP or a Playstation or an Xbox?

Why the hell do people expect there to be 500 titles in launch months? Its stupid. Its not going to happen.

Fawk, we were dying on the 360 till only maybe 5 months ago. There wasnt Jack and Shit to play. It only makes sense that there isnt going to be huge titles for the system when people are still grabbing them up. Also, it takes developers a while to get a system down. Take first year PS2 games verse few years later. Duh. Same thing will happen.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:54 PM

I think the 360 is going to take the top place in this generation of consoles without question.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
AM I the only person who got a 360 on launch date or a PS2 or a PSP or a Playstation or an Xbox?

Why the hell do people expect there to be 500 titles in launch months? Its stupid. Its not going to happen.

Fawk, we were dying on the 360 till only maybe 5 months ago. There wasnt Jack and Shit to play. It only makes sense that there isnt going to be huge titles for the system when people are still grabbing them up. Also, it takes developers a while to get a system down. Take first year PS2 games verse few years later. Duh. Same thing will happen.
I agree with you buddy. I think its retarded for people to think that a NEW game console will have 100 killer games at launch. I also don't think that .8 million more Wii being sold than the Ps3 is an ass-whooping, considering that the PS3 costs more than twice as much. I'll be laughing when in 2-3 years, 90% of Wii owners buy an HDTV and have to play their 480i games on it. I still don't get why so many people bash the PS3, when considering what it offers, its a steal.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Banned

Am I the only one who fails to see where USA TOday "calls out" anyone in the article?

Try linking to the original article instead of commentaries on it. This bugs me all the time when people link to a link. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/...ps3-woes_N.htm
Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post

I agree with you 19000%.

However, everytime i say this, everyone fights back by saying things like PGR, COD2 and Condemned were all great and that makes up for everything. And then they go into how the XB360 has GRAW / GOW and then I say it wasn't during launch. Then they just say launch doesn't matter...

I have no doubt the PS3 will pick up later, and i think it may happen sooner due to all of the negative press.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
Am I the only one who fails to see where USA TOday "calls out" anyone in the article?

Try linking to the original article instead of commentaries on it. This bugs me all the time when people link to a link. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/...ps3-woes_N.htm
lol...don't bother telling what to try....as if I cared what "bugs" you.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned

Ya know what guys, the 360 got a crap load of bad press as well and for the same reason. Only difference is that it was still selling well regardless....

I would agree that the 360 had a slow start as well and yes there was a long drought of decent games for sure. In fact I would say that in a way the PS3 had a better launch than the 360 as far as games go. There was not one game as good as Resistance on the 360 at launch.

And I'm no Sony fan believe me...but it is what it is.

Last edited by BSC; 03-21-2007 at 11:24 PM.