“PS3 Version Was Not Running As Well” - Dark Sector Almost Canned - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,536
Default “PS3 Version Was Not Running As Well” - Dark Sector Almost Canned

“PS3 Version Was Not Running As Well” - Dark Sector Almost Canned




Quote:
Josh Austin, Producer for Digital Extremes’ Dark Sector, let slip that the PS3 version of the game was almost scrapped. Read on to see his exact words.

Quote:
“So, yeah, this is the PS3 version, umm… it looks just as good as the 360 version, which we’re very happy about. Towards the end we started having some serious conversations about what we were gonna do, uh, but we ended up pulling it off, so we’re very proud of that.”
I ask for clarification on what that meant, and he replied simply “It was just not running as well as the 360″. We continued the conversation about these problems, only we went off the record so I won’t discuss it further.
Getting real sick of developers porting shit to the pppps3 and then bitching about it. Im kinda looking forward to this game oh well going with the 360 version if it sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 AM
vinnie97's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,897
Default

And so it continues, on and on.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2008, 04:46 AM
ZayTonday's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 404
Default

Digital Extremes is a crappy dev house and ALWAYS has been. This doesn't surprise me one bit.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2008, 04:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,235
Default

I've heard that this game has had major problems from the get go, they had to scrap the original designs and start again, just like Timeshift, and look how that turned out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-27-2008, 04:53 AM
SupraDoom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,181
Default

People still port to the PS3? They must not read much.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Kotatsu Neko's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraDoom View Post
People still port to the PS3? They must not read much.
Why wouldn't they? It's only natural to prioritize development to the SKU which will sell the most. It happened last gen with PS2, and now 360 is in that position.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Wulf's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
Why wouldn't they? It's only natural to prioritize development to the SKU which will sell the most. It happened last gen with PS2, and now 360 is in that position.

Couldn't have said it any better job well done! Sir!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM
KTA's Avatar
KTA KTA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,122
Default

Well some good news for Sony that it didn't get scrapped, GDC new tools introduced hopefully help developers in this bind. But how many more Devs need to have issues before they're not lazy?

Everyone has budgets ya know, good to see sony come out with new tools at GDC but I think its obvious they should have had a lot better support earlier.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Phillysports8982's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
Well some good news for Sony that it didn't get scrapped, GDC new tools introduced hopefully help developers in this bind. But how many more Devs need to have issues before they're not lazy?

Everyone has budgets ya know, good to see sony come out with new tools at GDC but I think its obvious they should have had a lot better support earlier.
i agree at this point, the "difficulty" argument of developing for the ps3, is getting old, these are big time devs and they should spend the time and resources and learn how to develop for the system, their are great games out, so we know its not impossible just lazy
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 AM
KTA's Avatar
KTA KTA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillysports8982 View Post
i agree at this point, the "difficulty" argument of developing for the ps3, is getting old, these are big time devs and they should spend the time and resources and learn how to develop for the system, their are great games out, so we know its not impossible just lazy
actually you mis-enterpreted me, I was saying I don't think these devs are lazy. Too many have had issues, and everyone has a budget and they have to make decisions.

They pulled it off, hopefully it's not a gimped product like Lost Planet.

GDC's multiplatform tools hopefully help devs in the future. But what games can benefit from them? 2010 release? 11?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dark Sector Hands-On Preview Master X Game Room 16 04-02-2008 11:19 PM
Dark Sector MP gimped on PS3, is this the beginning of a parade of XBL over PSN? KTA Gaming Smackdown 54 03-04-2008 01:16 PM
Dark Sector Hands-On Preview Master X Game Room 0 08-04-2007 12:49 PM
Dark Sector details reveal: no health or ammo bars, just you Master X Game Room 3 06-29-2007 02:44 PM
Dark Sector may be the mutiplatform Gears of War Master X Gaming Smackdown 2 06-29-2007 02:27 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off