“PS3 Version Was Not Running As Well” - Dark Sector Almost Canned - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 AM

Default “PS3 Version Was Not Running As Well” - Dark Sector Almost Canned

“PS3 Version Was Not Running As Well” - Dark Sector Almost Canned

Quote:
Josh Austin, Producer for Digital Extremes’ Dark Sector, let slip that the PS3 version of the game was almost scrapped. Read on to see his exact words.

Quote:
“So, yeah, this is the PS3 version, umm… it looks just as good as the 360 version, which we’re very happy about. Towards the end we started having some serious conversations about what we were gonna do, uh, but we ended up pulling it off, so we’re very proud of that.”
I ask for clarification on what that meant, and he replied simply “It was just not running as well as the 360″. We continued the conversation about these problems, only we went off the record so I won’t discuss it further.
Getting real sick of developers porting shit to the pppps3 and then bitching about it. Im kinda looking forward to this game oh well going with the 360 version if it sucks.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 AM

And so it continues, on and on.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:46 AM

Digital Extremes is a crappy dev house and ALWAYS has been. This doesn't surprise me one bit.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:51 AM

I've heard that this game has had major problems from the get go, they had to scrap the original designs and start again, just like Timeshift, and look how that turned out.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:53 AM

People still port to the PS3? They must not read much.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraDoom View Post
People still port to the PS3? They must not read much.
Why wouldn't they? It's only natural to prioritize development to the SKU which will sell the most. It happened last gen with PS2, and now 360 is in that position.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
Why wouldn't they? It's only natural to prioritize development to the SKU which will sell the most. It happened last gen with PS2, and now 360 is in that position.

Couldn't have said it any better job well done! Sir!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM

Well some good news for Sony that it didn't get scrapped, GDC new tools introduced hopefully help developers in this bind. But how many more Devs need to have issues before they're not lazy?

Everyone has budgets ya know, good to see sony come out with new tools at GDC but I think its obvious they should have had a lot better support earlier.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
Well some good news for Sony that it didn't get scrapped, GDC new tools introduced hopefully help developers in this bind. But how many more Devs need to have issues before they're not lazy?

Everyone has budgets ya know, good to see sony come out with new tools at GDC but I think its obvious they should have had a lot better support earlier.
i agree at this point, the "difficulty" argument of developing for the ps3, is getting old, these are big time devs and they should spend the time and resources and learn how to develop for the system, their are great games out, so we know its not impossible just lazy
Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillysports8982 View Post
i agree at this point, the "difficulty" argument of developing for the ps3, is getting old, these are big time devs and they should spend the time and resources and learn how to develop for the system, their are great games out, so we know its not impossible just lazy
actually you mis-enterpreted me, I was saying I don't think these devs are lazy. Too many have had issues, and everyone has a budget and they have to make decisions.

They pulled it off, hopefully it's not a gimped product like Lost Planet.

GDC's multiplatform tools hopefully help devs in the future. But what games can benefit from them? 2010 release? 11?