Merged MotorStorm Thread (Does it Rock or does it Suck?) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Unhappy Ouch...Gamedaily gives PS3's MotorStorm a 3 out of 5...Repetitive and Lacking

The PS3 can't seem to get a break....

Quote:
...a number of glaring omissions leave MotorStorm disappointingly short of its potential. The bare-bones game offers nothing beyond the 77 races of its sole game mode, the arrangement of which presents most of the game's eight tracks and seven vehicle types within the first ten races. With almost no new content after the first hour, MotorStorm lacks that hook to keep players coming back, something reinforced by the absence of split-screen multiplayer and the ability to customize the number and type of opponents on a specific track. Nothing more than a slight extension of the downloadable demo available for free via the PlayStation Store, even hardcore gamers should wait on MotorStorm until the fleshed-out 2007 North American version, which will include online multiplayer and hopefully more content.
http://www.gamedaily.com/motorstorm/...D=40595&page=1

The North American version doesn't seem to fix these flaws based upon the IGN review:

Quote:
...the game's biggest drawback is that there simply aren't enough of them. With fewer than ten tracks at your disposal, you'll quickly find that you're taking part in the same races over and over again. The tracks were designed in a forward manner, so you aren't able to race any of them in reverse, further limiting the variety. Again, there are a whole lot of different paths and such to take in each track, but the overall count leaves a lot to be desired.
Quote:
Along the same lines and just as detrimental to the overall experience, the only gameplay option you have is the main career mode, which is simply made up of race after race. There aren't any separate challenges, elimination races, one-on-one duels or anything of that sort. There isn't even a quick race option, so if you want to play a single race on a specific course with a certain field of vehicles, you need to dig through the tickets in the career mode to find a race that suits your mood.
Quote:
...the limited number of tracks and gameplay options hold it back quite a bit,
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/768/768820p1.html

Do you hear that? I think it's the sound of PS3 fanboys crying. So sad...

Last edited by james; 03-03-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Wait a minute, I thought this game was a system seller?
Old 03-03-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
Wait a minute, I thought this game was a system seller?
I'm sure there will be some die-hard PS3 fanboys that will fool themselves into thinking this is a good game. Denial can be your friend against Reality.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Banned

I expect it to be an okay game, but I've never seen so much hype for a racing game aside from GT.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakman3000 View Post
I expect it to be an okay game, but I've never seen so much hype for a racing game aside from GT.
It looks like a case of not having any better options available to get excited about.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

in that first quote, did it say the game has 8 tracks to race on? lol, that's what i said in the other motor storm thread, and was called numbnuts for it. lol... i guess i was right. NOW WHO HAS THE NUTS THAT ARE NUMB!!!

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/edit...itpost&p=67214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta88 View Post
Because gears only renders 8 players on screen.LOL
is that like the system seller motor storm, with it's whole 8 tracks to race on with NO split screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hus3 View Post
16 for motorstorm numnuts.

and lol only 8 players, xbox really is a weak pos.

Last edited by miDnIghtEr; 03-03-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
I guess I will have to be labeled the "PS3 fanboy" for the day... I read the article and noticed many things that have been left out of the quotes above...

"It may be shallow, but it's also the most engaging racing experience you'll find anywhere."

"it is certainly a system showpiece"

"Really, there are very, very few racing titles (or even games in general) around that deliver as engaging an experience as MotorStorm. There's really no better way to put it than that."

"it's quite clear that MotorStorm is a beautiful game and one that really shows what the PlayStation 3 is capable of."

"Speaking of online, MotorStorm happily delivers here in spades. The game can be extremely fun online"

"Closing Comments
Sony has jump-started its newest racing franchise in a fantastic way. Yes, the limited number of tracks and gameplay options hold it back quite a bit, but the fundamental racing is incredible. The variety in vehicle types is great, the track designs are awesome and the online is extremely fun. We simply cannot wait for a sequel."

IGN Rating: 8.9 Great If you are going to title a thread saying a game only gets 3 out of 5 why would you link a review that says it is an 8.9 our of 10 and is great ??? Doesn't that defeat the purpose ???

I don't know why you think PS3 fanboys would be crying over the review but I for one can't wait to get this game.
Here are all the scores from IGN:

6.5 Presentation
The small number of tracks and lack of gameplay options hurts this category quite a bit.
9.0 Graphics
Largely fantastic, the cars are excellently detailed, lightning is silky-smooth and the crash are simply "wow". Some shadows have low-res samples, however.
9.0 Sound
Great engine sounds, explosive crash effects and a rocking soundtrack fill out the audio portion.
9.0 Gameplay
Intense. Furious. Exhilarating. If only there were more options...
7.5 Lasting Appeal
The online play is fantastic fun, but lack of different race types can make it a bit repetitive after a while. Also, no split-screen will disappoint some folks.

So, I guess this is the best freaking totally awesome spectacular off-road arcade racing game on the PS3.....at least for about an hour and then you run out of things to do.

Not exactly the killer app the PS3 Fanboy Brigade was hoping for....[-X
Old 03-03-2007, 09:08 PM

Gamepro- 4.50 out of 5

Whether developer Evolution Studios has just cracked the seal on the PS3's potential or completely tapped the system for all it's worth, we don't know, and frankly we don't care because this is one of the best looking and performing console games yet.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
Briefly looking at IGN's ratings it looks like it is the best freaking totally awesome spectacular off-road arcade racing game not only on the PS3 but also the 360!

I'm not very familiar with IGN and only looked briefly but the only racing game I saw on the 360 with an 8.9 (or higher) was Burnout Revenge which was a street racing game. I may be wrong but once again it looks like your thread intending to show how bad Motorstorm for the PS3 is only shows me the 360 doesn't have anything that even compares to it.

This fanboy stuff is kind of fun

Edit... I gotta say I could care less how a game on the PS3 compares to a game on the 360... If it is a fun game, it is a fun game. I don't get why people love to bash on the other format!

Being a fanboy (even for only a few minutes) only made me feel dirty. I don't get why others get so much joy from bagging on the competition when there is no reason too. [-X I hide my face in shame!

I will just have to keep enjoying my PS3 and my Toshiba HDA1 and leave the negativity to the real fanboys!
Again, MotorStorm may be the best freaking totally awesome spectacular off-road arcade racing game ever in history of the universe...for about a hour.

They should rename the game to MotorStorm Extra Extra Light Edition. If you knew how much hype the PS3 Patrol has been giving this game you would understand why I am not very impressed with it.

You have crossed over to the dark side and there is no turning back...
Old 03-03-2007, 10:18 PM

in that first quote, did it say the game has 8 tracks to race on? lol, that's what i said in the other motor storm thread, and was called numbnuts for it. lol... i guess i was right. NOW WHO HAS THE NUTS THAT ARE NUMB!!!

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/edit...itpost&p=67214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta88
Because gears only renders 8 players on screen.LOL

is that like the system seller motor storm, with it's whole 8 tracks to race on with NO split screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hus3
16 for motorstorm numnuts.

and lol only 8 players, xbox really is a weak pos.

Um how is comparing a racing game to a third person squad based game. Bring any kind of argument??

Motorstorm = racing game.
Gears of War = third person squad shooter.

Motorstorm = 16 racers, 8 tracks.
Gears of War = 2 teams of four, with about a dozen maps.

2ndly Wtf kinda argument if any is saying Xbox is weak cause it only puts out 8 players on XBL. When it was EPIC and CLIFFY B, who designed the game to BE THAT WAY.

And even comparing the two, is laughable, since both are two entirely different generes.<:-|

IF you're gonna compare games, compare Motorstorm to Excitetruck.

Last edited by Biosynthnut; 03-03-2007 at 10:21 PM.