I bought <console> for <unreleased game>. Come again? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:18 PM
RedRedSuit's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,740
Default I bought <console> for <unreleased game>. Come again?

Can someone explain this reasoning to me? Even people on here that I respect, like BBM128, resort to this inexplicable to me reasoning. Examples:

"I bought PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid 4."
"I bought Xbox 360 for Halo 3." (3 years ago)

I don't get it -- and I especially don't get it when this is used to complain. Like, I see certain members say stuff like, "I bought PS3 for FF13, and now there are no games, so I'm pissed." Then why did you buy the PS3 before FF13 was released? Aren't you the one to blame?

Why not simply wait until the games you want to play are out, and then buy the system, reaping all the benefits that that entails, like lower pricing and better firmware?

Case in point: I bought PS3 because I wanted to watch Blu-Ray, and I had a reasonable hope that good games would later come out (which they did, and will continue to do so). I used it a lot, even at launch. I have no reason to be pissed. I bought a 360 because I wanted to play Gears of War, which had been just released. It was mediocre and overrated, so I was rather annoyed at having bought one of the old, loud, expensive, breaking 360s. Not really the same thing; at least I already bought the thing when the game(s) I wanted to play were already out.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:21 PM
JAWoOKIE's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,138
Default

I bought a Wii for bowling. Sold it a week later after the new"ness" wore off.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
PHIBALNATION's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Can someone explain this reasoning to me? Even people on here that I respect, like BBM128, resort to this inexplicable to me reasoning. Examples:

"I bought PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid 4."
"I bought Xbox 360 for Halo 3." (3 years ago)

I don't get it -- and I especially don't get it when this is used to complain. Like, I see certain members say stuff like, "I bought PS3 for FF13, and now there are no games, so I'm pissed." Then why did you buy the PS3 before FF13 was released? Aren't you the one to blame?

Why not simply wait until the games you want to play are out, and then buy the system, reaping all the benefits that that entails, like lower pricing and better firmware?

Case in point: I bought PS3 because I wanted to watch Blu-Ray, and I had a reasonable hope that good games would later come out (which they did, and will continue to do so). I used it a lot, even at launch. I have no reason to be pissed. I bought a 360 because I wanted to play Gears of War, which had been just released. It was mediocre and overrated, so I was rather annoyed at having bought one of the old, loud, expensive, breaking 360s. Not really the same thing; at least I already bought the thing when the game(s) I wanted to play were already out.
Why don't you take the effort you put into this and put it into something that matters in life. Who cares why people spend their money on consoles, if this bothers you, you need to seek a mental health evaluation.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,887
Default

I bought a PS3 for Final Fantasy XIII but there were also games I wanted to play. Seven months later I've scraped enough together to get my fifth game for PS3 (with two more coming shortly after). FFXIII will make the wait worth it but I'm also living in the present and the fact is that the PS3 has games to play and will have more as time goes on.

The reason I didn't wait... I'm somewhat impatient and I'm impulsive.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 PM
RedRedSuit's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWoOKIE View Post
I bought a Wii for bowling. Sold it a week later after the new"ness" wore off.
Err, but, bowling was already OUT when you bought Wii. Not really what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 PM
RedRedSuit's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHIBALNATION View Post
Why don't you take the effort you put into this and put it into something that matters in life. Who cares why people spend their money on consoles, if this bothers you, you need to seek a mental health evaluation.
It took me all of 3 minutes to type this up. It doesn't bother me; I'm just wondering. What is your problem?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 PM
JAWoOKIE's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Err, but, bowling was already OUT when you bought Wii. Not really what I'm talking about.
Sorry, should have clarified. I got it for the Brunswick Bowling game that had not been released yet.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 PM
KTA's Avatar
KTA KTA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,122
Default

Well I bought it day one for those games as an incentive yes. I didn't imagine all the launch titles blowing except RFoM. At the time I was curious about all teh cell hoopla as well and wanted to see these superior games and the advantages of bluray.... well obviously they're still putting all that together.

I think those games are more justification after the initial shit storm hit the PS3 brand. I dont' think anyone really expected sales and games alike to flop like they have in the beginning. I mean 600 bucks was a insane launch price but they had the name brand to pull it off.

That and you have many of us who were huge ps1 and ps2 fans so you know we gotta have the ps3 day one, that and being the impulsive mother fucker I am were huge factors. Bluray was eh ok for me at first, its much better now that i have that remote, the controller just annoyed me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 PM
PHIBALNATION's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
It took me all of 3 minutes to type this up. It doesn't bother me; I'm just wondering. What is your problem?
Gee I wonder why this guy don't like the ps3/360 now cause his/her game isn't out yet. Read your opening statement to yourself and try to ask yourself why any adult would care what system a person owns, or what system a person dislikes. Who the F cares it's their money.

Last edited by Ph8; 01-29-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:05 PM
KTA's Avatar
KTA KTA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHIBALNATION View Post
Why don't you take the effort you put into this and put it into something that matters in life. Who cares why people spend their money on consoles, if this bothers you, you need to seek a mental health evaluation.
I learned this long ago... IF YOU THINK YOU GET TO TELL REDREDSUIT WHAT TO DO, YOU'RE WRONG!

but seriously panties in a bunch? why ask why?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Presently watching an unreleased movie Marky_D_Sahdd Feedback 3 03-27-2008 09:27 PM
What unreleased/unannounced titles do you want on HDM? Razz-Mataz High Definition Smackdown 26 12-24-2007 09:12 PM
Warner Unreleased Titles bdfan Blu-ray Software General Discussion 5 08-01-2007 12:20 AM
First console i've ever bought WITHOUT a game. messin18 Gaming Smackdown 30 07-06-2007 06:55 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off