SCi bet on the wrong horse (PS3), bleeds money, CEO and execs got fired - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-19-2008, 09:55 PM

Talking SCi bet on the wrong horse (PS3), bleeds money, CEO and execs got fired

NOTES: SCi is the owner of Eidos that makes the Tomb Raider and Hitman series.

The Daily Telegraph, Mark Kleinman and Emma Thelwell, 19/01/2008

The struggling SCi Entertainment is drafting in an industry veteran as an attempts to transform the company's fortunes.

Juergen Goeldner, a former executive at Funsoft, is expected to be confirmed this week as the interim chief operating officer at SCi, which on Friday saw its chairman Tim Ryan oust founder and chief executive Jane Cavanagh along with her husband, the managing director Bill Ennis.

SCi chairman Tim Ryan said on Friday that the company board has already commenced a root-and-branch review of the company's strategy and will report back to shareholders on their findings and recommendations. Parts of the firm could be closed or sold off under the review, which is due to conclude by the end of February. SCi is also in talks with potential investors to plug a projected 30 million shortfall.

Analysts have suggested SCi's costly US publishing arm should be sold or shut down, as should some of the under-performing games studios. Such moves could lead to job cuts among the group's 900-strong work force.

SCi has struggled ever since it backed the wrong horse in the games console market last year. Failing to anticipate the Nintendo Wii's success, it poured its efforts into developing too many games for Sony's Playstation 3 instead.

The group's shares plummeted in August after it admitted sales had suffered from Sony's bungled launch of the PS3, and revealed it would take a hit of at least 14 million as a result.

Article Link
Old 01-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Watcher of stances

what wii success?
3rd party sales are crap.

SCI taking on Eidos (and their debt) was the problem
however, when stockholders are pissed, use a scapegoat.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:12 PM

SCi made how many games for PS3, thus far?

Fail...
Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 PM

install base is and was the ps3 problem, where as ninty has a huge base,so even 3rd party shit sales are more then ps3 sales and don't forget the difference in cost to dev wii titles compared to ps3 titles
Old 01-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Watcher of stances

is there a cross platform title that sold more on the wii than the ps3?
i realize this argument is nonsense, but i'm bored.

i also can't find any PS3 titles Eidos/SCI dev'd, am i missing something obvious?

on a side note, the latest PSM has a huge TR:underworld spread in it.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 PM

What Eidos PS3 games? Tomb Raider Anniv has appeared in like every console but the PS3.