Super Mario Galaxy: The Best Platformer Ever - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-10-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Super Mario Galaxy: The Best Platformer Ever

I think so.....Mario Stomps R&C into the ground.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...permariogalaxy
Old 11-10-2007, 01:49 PM

I have a Wii and PS3 (and I own R&C).. but this is hardly surprising
Old 11-10-2007, 01:53 PM

A main Mario platformer will get a 95 automatically, no matter what.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
not true. You've obviously never played the Original Mario Bros. or Super Mario Bros. 2. Both games sucked it up.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
True. I think every game-review publication is embarassed they gave the underwhelming Windwaker and Mario Sunshine 95+ scores across the board when those games were really just B games.

But this game may actually be good from what I've read; there are many gameplay elements added early on throughout the level. I'll see what the more neutral people have to say about this game.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Not quite, but perhaps you mean to imply that all Mario platform games will be highly reviewed regardless of their quality. If this is the case, it sounds like you've had a little too much of the hateraide. {*edit*}

Last edited by eNoize; 11-10-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Refresher View Post
Not quite, but perhaps you mean to imply that all Mario platform games will be highly reviewed regardless of their quality. If this is the case, it sounds like you've had a little too much of the hateraide. It's fine if you don't like Mario games.
Thats not a main mario platformer. The devil's in the details, mate.

Last edited by AV_Integrated; 11-11-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMattyP View Post
not true. You've obviously never played the Original Mario Bros. or Super Mario Bros. 2. Both games sucked it up.
(a) I mean nowadays. (b) There wasn't a well-developed review system back then, so those are irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
True. I think every game-review publication is embarassed they gave the underwhelming Windwaker and Mario Sunshine 95+ scores across the board when those games were really just B games.
Not an expert on those games, but that's indeed what I hear. Well, actually, I own Wind Waker and that's an 8/10 game if there was one... but it was a Zelda. Yes, case in point.

Quote:
But this game may actually be good from what I've read; there are many gameplay elements added early on throughout the level. I'll see what the more neutral people have to say about this game.
I don't doubt this game is good, but we'll see in a year or so if people still regard it as a 95 type game.

Quote:
By "main," I mean console, not portable. Also, before you nitpick this, yes, Sunshine "only" got a 92... but it still supports what I'm saying.

Quote:
but perhaps you mean to imply that all Mario platform games will be highly reviewed regardless of their quality.
Yes, it would take a truly bad (not just okay, like Sunshine was to many people) Mario game for it not to get stellar scores.

Quote:
If this is the case, it sounds like you've had a little too much of the hateraide. It's fine if you don't like Mario games,
I do like Mario games.

Last edited by AV_Integrated; 11-13-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:17 PM

Mario Galaxy blowing away Halo on Metacritic?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Not quite, but perhaps you mean to imply that all Mario platform games will be highly reviewed regardless of their quality. If this is the case, it sounds like you've had a little too much of the hateraide. It's fine if you don't like Mario games.
Sigh....the Nintendo Fanboy Defense Force is in full effect apparently. You're missing the guy's point. His point is that it's not surprising; not because of the merits of the game, but rather because Mario Platformers are one of those sacred cows of gaming that no one is actually willing to critically review...very much like Zelda. The new Mario could be total dumpster juice and Nintendo die-hards would still buy it and the media would still give it 9s, that's just the way it works; game reviewers have clearly shown over the years that they can't think for themselves. Much like how a flood of Zelda: Ocarina reviews appeared after Halo topped it on the gamerankings.com charts....the media wouldn't allow that to stay, so reviews of a game nearly five years old suddenly sprang up on Nintendo websites to help get Zelda back on top. Now I'm not arguing as to which is a better game, because it really doesn't matter; the Nintendo fans will make sure that their game is on top regardless of what it says about their integrity. Mario is a part of this untouchable, sacred-cow mentality; acknowledging as much doesn't mean you're drinking "hateraid", it means that you can actually think for yourself.

Last edited by AV_Integrated; 11-11-2007 at 12:06 AM.