The Uncharted demo is solid... Few few quirks... Looks to be a great game ^_^. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-08-2007, 08:07 PM

Default The Uncharted demo is solid... Few few quirks... Looks to be a great game ^_^.

Yeah I downloaded the demo of Uncharted and at long last I have decided one thing... I have to have this game. I was always bad at Gears of War and this means that despite how much I actually liked that game, I will never buy it (at 50 or 60 bucks). That said. this is basically Gears, just easier to play (not in terms of difficulty, either. I mean in terms of gameplay).

First thing I want to point out that the demo looks great. The framerate is smooth and didn't hitch for me (though this could change with the Blu-ray version of the game).

The controls are great. It basically plays like Gears of War but I found it to be more.... simple. Less focused on one button does it all (except shoot...) and more focused on just being easy to play. I found the controls to be quite intuitive.

One thing I liked was that it doesn't take a nuclear explosion to take down an enemy. I remember Gears of War and Resistance requiring you to empty magazines to kill stuff. Three bullets.. Thats all it normally takes in Uncharted. Of course, thats using the pistol. The AK47 takes about four or five at the very most.

The demo felt quite fluid and easy to play though... it was quite short. It's fun though...

My only complaint is that the assault rifle, while it packs a punch, is made of recoil. Plenty of it, too. Also, I wasn't happy with the Sixaxis control of the grenades (but trust me, you won't need them for the demo. It takes some time to get it just right. Just be nimble and you'll be fine)

But other things I liked that are kind of minor is that the main menu music is awesome as hell. I hope this game gets a soundtrack released because I will buy it if the rest of the game's audio is like that. The game drops hints at you at where you should go next. I like that a lot. It definitely seems worth a playthrough of the whole game.

Anyone else get the same positive vibe I did?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 PM

isn't this supposed to be a tomb raider kind of game? you are making it sound like a war game. sounds sweet, though.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Hopefully I can get my friend to download it, and check it out tomarrow night. But yea I really want to check this one out.

BTW how did you have trouble with Gears?? It control scheme was easy to use.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Can you rate the demo 1 -10? Thanks
Old 11-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

This has like 0 interest in my book.

I second Jame's request... On a 1 - 10 scale, what does it rate (as non-biased as possible)?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasquidd View Post
isn't this supposed to be a tomb raider kind of game? you are making it sound like a war game. sounds sweet, though.
Well it is sorta like Tomb Raider in the exploration sense, but it's more combat focused. It really does play a lot like Gears of War, what with the importance of cover. Damage is even dealt with the same way.

Easily one of the best games this year!!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Can you rate the demo 1 -10? Thanks
I'd give the demo itself... 9/10 really.

If I made it seem like a war game, I'm sorry but as far as [">gameplay<"] is concerned it can be compared to Gears of War.

I've never played Tomb Raider so you'll have to forgive me on that. I can only look back on the games I've actually played for similarities.

And if you're wondering if I'm showing favoritism, I wasn't terribly kind to Lair so find my review of Lair. I'm no fanboy when it comes to games. I just know what I like, ya know....
Old 11-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynthnut View Post
Hopefully I can get my friend to download it, and check it out tomarrow night. But yea I really want to check this one out.

BTW how did you have trouble with Gears?? It control scheme was easy to use.
In Gears, I found it more difficult to hop over cover. Sometimes the game would simply not respond to my command. Also, you move fairly slow in Gears so in a firefight where I'd be looking for cover (and in tighter spaces sometimes he didn't go where I wanted him to go for cover) I'd be getting shot up like 50 Cent...

I'm not saying EVERYONE had that experience. Mine was different and I'm not gonna say that it should have scored bad. I'm worse at the game (and I don't ever go that deep into it and I've not played it in a while) though and I was kinda expecting something like that with Uncharted.

But if you found Gears easy to learn, Uncharted is easier, in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM128 View Post
In Gears, I found it more difficult to hop over cover. Sometimes the game would simply not respond to my command. Also, you move fairly slow in Gears so in a firefight where I'd be looking for cover (and in tighter spaces sometimes he didn't go where I wanted him to go for cover) I'd be getting shot up like 50 Cent...

I'm not saying EVERYONE had that experience. Mine was different and I'm not gonna say that it should have scored bad. I'm worse at the game (and I don't ever go that deep into it and I've not played it in a while) though and I was kinda expecting something like that with Uncharted.

But if you found Gears easy to learn, Uncharted is easier, in my opinion.
Yeah, I found the "one button" scheme to be rather annoying. I would do things that I didn't mean to do, but I got use it. I hope they fix that in the sequel.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:55 PM

I'm 92% downloaded!!! I'll be back on in a bit with my impressions!

PS: I want this game friggin bad but because I'm excited for it I will judge it even more closely to see if it matches up with my very high expectations. So in that sense, I think I'll share a fairly bias-free review. Later! it just finished so I got to go play!