Finally PS3 price change in Canada! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-27-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Finally PS3 price change in Canada!

Sony finally realised that the high price of the PS3 was hurting sales! So they did what any customer friendly company would do...they raised them some more!!!!!

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/48...ice-in-canada/

Quote:
It seems that Sony has made a minor price correction for the PS3 in Canada. Now the unit costs $50 dollars more, for a total of $699.99. Both Best Buy and Futureshop have the console listed at the new price, the old list used to be $659.99. What is Sony doing?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:39 AM
noobydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonbait View Post
Sony finally realised that the high price of the PS3 was hurting sales! So they did what any customer friendly company would do...they raised them some more!!!!!

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/48...ice-in-canada/
LMAO You just have to shake your head..
Old 01-27-2007, 12:17 PM

Looks like the Wii and the XBox 360 don't have to try to beat the PS3. Looks like the PS3 will trip and fall.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:22 PM

I always notice people getting rid of threads about the Wii... the Wii has had such a huge impact on PS3 sales though in my opinion. You've gotta wonder when Sony is finally gonna crumble under its own hubris...

Personal opinions about Blu-Ray put aside, HD DVD appears to have (not trying to start an arguement here) an edge in features, we'll just say they're both equal in terms of codecs, and by years end all HD DVDs will be 51gigs... so the only thing Sony has the edge on (and this is a huge factor) is studio support- none of these PS3 decisions can possibly be pleasing studios..
Old 01-27-2007, 12:23 PM

Yeah, why buy a PS3 for $500 or more when a Wii can be purchased for $250. But the Wii has a few things which the PS3 lacks, like games.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post
Yeah, why buy a PS3 for $500 or more when a Wii can be purchased for $250. But the Wii has a few things which the PS3 lacks, like games.
The PS3 library isn't exactly something to be proud of either... the system needs some serious help

In terms of 3rd party support, all those titles are coming for 360 as well, so there aren't any exclusives for PS3.... choosing between a cheap Wii or an expensive PS3 that plays the same stuff as a cheaper 360, you can see why the customers are so eager to go Wii over PS3

Last edited by Drago; 01-27-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
I always notice people getting rid of threads about the Wii... the Wii has had such a huge impact on PS3 sales though in my opinion. You've gotta wonder when Sony is finally gonna crumble under its own hubris...

Personal opinions about Blu-Ray put aside, HD DVD appears to have (not trying to start an arguement here) an edge in features, we'll just say they're both equal in terms of codecs, and by years end all HD DVDs will be 51gigs... so the only thing Sony has the edge on (and this is a huge factor) is studio support- none of these PS3 decisions can possibly be pleasing studios..
===

All HD DVDs will be 51 gigs??? Blu-ray fanboys should be so lucky! You do realize, don't you, that 51gig HD DVD's won't work on any currently available player. That would mean all of you unlucky sods who bought a HD DVD standalone or 360+add-on would be SOL for any new content.

What is this "edge" in features of which you speak? 3/5ths the available space is an edge? Having the same video codec support and missing 7.1 lossless audio codec support is an advantage? Having only 60% of the storage space of the competition is an advantage? Having only 68% of the maximum data rate is an advantage? Not supporting Java is an advantage?

If by "advantage" you mean "Well VHS was the inferior format and still won the VHS/Beta war"...you might be on to something there...but VHS won because it was cheaper AND had the larger storage space. The "cheaper" aspect disappeared 2 months ago, and the longer recording time aspect never did and never will happen. FYI, There will be 200gb Blu-ray drives around the same time as 51gb HD DVDs--which is to say, probably never for home movies, but as soon as 2008 for data devices.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:45 PM
noobydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulium View Post
===

All HD DVDs will be 51 gigs??? Blu-ray fanboys should be so lucky! You do realize, don't you, that 51gig HD DVD's won't work on any currently available player. That would mean all of you unlucky sods who bought a HD DVD standalone or 360+add-on would be SOL for any new content.

What is this "edge" in features of which you speak? 3/5ths the available space is an edge? Having the same video codec support and missing 7.1 lossless audio codec support is an advantage? Having only 60% of the storage space of the competition is an advantage? Having only 68% of the maximum data rate is an advantage? Not supporting Java is an advantage?

If by "advantage" you mean "Well VHS was the inferior format and still won the VHS/Beta war"...you might be on to something there...but VHS won because it was cheaper AND had the larger storage space. The "cheaper" aspect disappeared 2 months ago, and the longer recording time aspect never did and never will happen. FYI, There will be 200gb Blu-ray drives around the same time as 51gb HD DVDs--which is to say, probably never for home movies, but as soon as 2008 for data devices.
You mean like all the Blu ray standalones that can't use BD-Live because of no ethernet port? You think making a content author learn JAVA is a plus? That is insane because only thing content authors want to do is get the most done in the least amount of time. Why do you think the vast majority of BD-50 titles released don't have the full feature set from the standard DVD? Quit trying to put lipstick on that pig. Blu ray is pathetic at features and wasted space at extra cost is no advantage

While your watching what Sony allows you to, I'll be enjoying Island Fever 4. Thats a use of space I can get into.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulium View Post
===

Firstly, that is a lie, it is currently unknown whether the work or not. In fact the only source which claimes they won't work in current HD DVD players are Blu-Ray whoreshippers.

Secondly, there is no reason for all HD DVDs to be 51 GBs. The HD 30 discs work great.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:11 PM

I wonder how many PS3 owners that don't have these new special amps think the are hearing that PCM 5.1 or that 7.1 audio
The only way to hear that lossless audio is to either have an amp that has HDMI input/out or a player that has analog out...
PS3 doesn't have that analog out. Now I'm taking about just about the PS3.
I know my 360 doesn't either but Im not complaning...($199 vs $600)
You hear these BD suporters comparing and comparing but what media out there right ATM beats HD DVD?
So I got an add on for $199 and it MAY not be able to accept these 51gb discs but I don't care ATM since to me this is my entry player.
It wasn't a big expense like all the BD players out there, so in a couple of years when HD DVD standalones are at prices like this add on or even cheaper I may pick one up.
When DVD 1st came out a lot and I mean alot of the players didn't play dual layer discs all that well untill the 2nd or 3rd gen player came out.
All the media on BD from Sony anyway is just bloated up with MPEG2/pcm and that Is what the 50gb disc is good for ATM.
Wait another 3 years for a player that maybe cheaper that will play 200gb BD discs, If that ever happends, and If a studio would even bother to produce software for it, Thats better for PC use.