Nintendo launches site to aid Viral Marketing. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Nintendo launches site to aid Viral Marketing.

So I ran across this in Kotaku and thought it was an interesting Marketing Approach. I personally feel it will do well for Nintendo, basically they launched this site:

http://mywiistory.com/

The idea is that everyone has a story about how the Wii has changed their gaming experience and they are now inviting people to share their experience with other people (and advertise the Wii).
Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
So I ran across this in Kotaku and thought it was an interesting Marketing Approach. I personally feel it will do well for Nintendo, basically they launched this site:

http://mywiistory.com/

The idea is that everyone has a story about how the Wii has changed their gaming experience and they are now inviting people to share their experience with other people (and advertise the Wii).
I'm not sure that this actually qualifies as viral marketing. To me viral marketing implies a kind of stealthy, sneaky sales pitch using some sort of prexisting social structure.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:12 PM

The Wii made me remember my days of playing on the C64 except without the cord!!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Refresher View Post
I'm not sure that this actually qualifies as viral marketing. To me viral marketing implies a kind of stealthy, sneaky sales pitch using some sort of prexisting social structure.
That might be your definition, but its not what is commonly referred to as viral marketing.

Viral marketing is usually a form of marketing that is used to brand a product or create hype by using techniques that cause Word of Mouth promotion of your Viral Website or advertisements.

Basically its an attempt to purposefully spread Word of Mouth advertising of your products.