but I thought Sony was the one bleeding $$ - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 AM

Default but I thought Sony was the one bleeding $$

EU court Upholds record fine antitrust

613 million dollar fine (U.S.) damn...

I know this isn't game related, but a lot of xbox fanboys in this forum have claimed Sony is the one loosing the most, and the shadiest of the two.

Yet..the Microsoft is synonymous with the word Anti-Trust...

now, am I saying M$ is in some kind of trouble? I highly doubt it, but Sony doesn't seem to be loosing this much. Which leads me to conclude Sony is doing just fine..
Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 AM

Nothing to do with the Xbox division really though, it's Sony's games division thats bleeding the money.

As for Sony's accounts, not being their accountant or anything I couldn't possibly tell you what state they're currently in. Selling off not just several billion worth of shares in their insurance division, but also now selling their chip plant to Toshiba for $100m would suggest they're fund raising, especially given that the end of Q3 (and with it their quarterly results) are up in 2 weeks. Seems too close to be coincidental to me.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillysports8982 View Post

I know this isn't game related, but a lot of xbox fanboys in this forum have claimed Sony is the one loosing the most, and the shadiest of the two.

now, am I saying M$ is in some kind of trouble? I highly doubt it, but Sony doesn't seem to be loosing this much. Which leads me to conclude Sony is doing just fine..
I guess i'll be the first to bark about non related to gaming finiancial posts... these are pointless. With huge companies like this we could find something like this on each every week. This is all rather pointless in a gaming smackdown unless it has to do with gaming.

Christ don't get kalim started on these!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
I guess i'll be the first to bark about non related to gaming finiancial posts... these are pointless. With huge companies like this we could find something like this on each every week. This is all rather pointless in a gaming smackdown unless it has to do with gaming.

Christ don't get kalim started on these!
yes i understand, that was part of my underlying point, was that for the $$ Sony is loosing, M$ is loosing $$ to..

but because these companies are so massive, their not going anywhere..
Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
yes i understand, that was part of my underlying point, was that for the $$ Sony is loosing, M$ is loosing $$ to..

but because these companies are so massive, their not going anywhere..
Yeah I just don't wanna see these threads get whore'd like VgameChartz on on a price cut monday!

And it could happen.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:45 AM

That happened to Microsoft along time ago also. They appealed and won. Just shows that no one in that market can compete with Microsoft and that companies have to try and have the courts help. Microsoft will appeal this one also and most likely win. Microsoft isn't in the same boat as Sony at all. Microsoft has so much more money then Sony.

http://hankfiles.pcvsconsole.com/answer.php?file=437

I have put this on here before, can't never find newer numbers. Sony has more revenue but that means squat. Sony is bigger in size, but Microsoft is stronger financially. Sony made 1 billion profit and microsoft made 10 billion. Sony's market value was 71 Billion compared to Micrsoft's 288 Billion. That was in 01 Sony should be way less now with all their losses. So point is 600 million to Micrsoft is only a minor stratch but to Sony it would be a gaping wound.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:

I know this isn't game related,
enough said right there. you are trying so hard philly. get over it. just stop. you're starting to look more foolish then ever. just give up for 07 and come talk to us in 08 when your huge tidal wave gets here.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:35 PM

I could give a shit if MS or Sony is losing money. All I care about is what they can give me. MS lost 1 billion in their gaming division, but I have a sweet ass gaming system. Fine by me lol.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:

You do know that the Anti-Trust suit was towards Windows because you have to install Windows Media Player? It had nothing to do with the gaming division. And it was a very stupid law suit, I don't understand why one would bring it up; I use WMP all the time.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Damn that Microsoft and including Media Player in their operating system! I mean really, why should you expect to be able to play a sound file without having to download another program. REALLY!

There are stupid things that Microsoft gets sued for, and this (along with including a web browser which would let you download netscape if you wanted) is one of those things.