Factor 5 Claims Lair Not For The Hardcore, Hence Low Review Scores - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-06-2007, 03:22 AM
HDD Contributor

Default Factor 5 Claims Lair Not For The Hardcore, Hence Low Review Scores

Let's just get this first bit out of the way, straight from Destructoid:

Source

Now for the relevant bit. Julian Eggebrecht, Creative Director of Factor 5, made a pretty stunning remark, at least to me. In attempting to rationalize the low review scores for Lair, he claimed that the control system was more in line for casual gamers. And I quote:

Quote:
"The Sixaxis motion control itself feels a lot more organic and free-form than the rigid controls of other flight games and does much better for casual players, as we saw in focus tests. It does seem to alienate some reviewers who are at the top of the hard-core crowd and seem to have a passionate hate for all things motion."
Excuse me... freakin' WHAT?!

Man oh man... Y'know what, I'm not even going to TOUCH that one. Let the discussion begin.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 AM

That's exactly the kind of talk that turns me off Wii. I don't give a shit if it's for "casual" gamers or what -- if the controls aren't precise, I'm not playing it.

In other news, Destructoid is a piece of shit site. Here's a more reasonable writeup at Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/the-lai...fee-296793.php
Old 09-06-2007, 03:42 AM

That's such a lame excuse. Look at the reviews Metroid Prime 3 has been getting. That game is totally built around Wii controls, with IR aiming and motion gestures. It's getting great reviews because a) the controls are amazing, and b) the game is amazing. Lair is getting terrible reviews because both the game and controls are awful.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:53 AM

Yes, 1 out of every 50 Wii games gets the controls right.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Yes, 1 out of every 50 Wii games gets the controls right.
That's an odd thing to say. I own a bunch of Wii games and the only one with dodgy controls is a rushed launch game (Red Steel). The controls are just fine in Paper Mario, Twilight Princess, Big Brain Academy, Raving Rabbids and a bunch of other games.

I'm sure they'll be just fine in Mario Galaxy, Zack and Wiki, and Smash Bros too.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
That's an odd thing to say. I own a bunch of Wii games and the only one with dodgy controls is a rushed launch game (Red Steel). The controls are just fine in Paper Mario, Twilight Princess, Big Brain Academy, Raving Rabbids and a bunch of other games.

I'm sure they'll be just fine in Mario Galaxy, Zack and Wiki, and Smash Bros too.
Twilight Princess? Those controls are a bunch of incoherent, annoying waggle. I gave them a shot for about an hour at a friend's house and became sad... then broke down and bought the GameCube version.

Oh, and Smash Brothers will support the classic controller, for obvious reasons. I can damn well guarantee you anyone with the classic controller will destroy a Wiimote user.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Twilight Princess? Those controls are a bunch of incoherent, annoying waggle. I gave them a shot for about an hour at a friend's house and became sad... then broke down and bought the GameCube version.
Oh come off it. What about aiming the hookshot? Was that just incoherent waggle? The only waggle was to slash with the sword, the rest was standard analogue stick and button type stuff. Not very wii-centric but it's a Cube port, so that doesn't surprise me. I'm sure the next Wii Zelda will use motion controls to a far greater extent.

And don't you think it's a little premature to be making such bold statements about Smash's controls? Maybe you should, you know, actually PLAY the game first? Also seems kind of likely given the success of the Wii and the importance of Smash that Nintendo might make sure the controls are perfect?
Old 09-06-2007, 04:28 AM

The controls are fine except for one thing. They should have ommited the 180 degree turn jerk. If they had mapped that to a button instead and just left the steering part with motion sensing the controls would have been perfect. Everyone I have talked to who said that they didn't like the controls had the biggest problem with 180 degree turns. It's too bad they can't fix that part with an update or something.

As far as the overall game is concerned it is seriously underrated. It's not Bioshock but it's without a doubt no where near as bad as Gundam either.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
That's exactly the kind of talk that turns me off Wii. I don't give a shit if it's for "casual" gamers or what -- if the controls aren't precise, I'm not playing it.

In other news, Destructoid is a piece of shit site. Here's a more reasonable writeup at Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/the-lai...fee-296793.php
Did you get a chance to rent and play Lair, yet? I thought I read you were going to rent this one.

Did you know Super Rub-a-Dub got terrible reviews because of the motion controls? Yet, people love this game and can complete a board in under 3 secs. I think it's just a matter of learning how to use a new tool properly. If a ton of people can complete a board in under 3 secs. how flawed can the controls be, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
That's such a lame excuse. Look at the reviews Metroid Prime 3 has been getting. That game is totally built around Wii controls, with IR aiming and motion gestures. It's getting great reviews because a) the controls are amazing, and b) the game is amazing. Lair is getting terrible reviews because both the game and controls are awful.
How many different things are the motion controls in Metroid Prime 3 responsible for? Probably the less interaction the reviewers have with motion controls the higher the review score. Just a theory.

*puts on flame proof suit* Fire away.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:35 AM

interesting...i dont see players that arent hardcore piicking it up. although by personal impressions on this forum,, people seem to like it.