Sony is shutting down its live TV service PlayStation Vue in January 2020 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-21-2020, 02:29 PM

Default Sony is shutting down its live TV service PlayStation Vue in January 2020

I don't know anyone who uses it anyways.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/29/...aming-shutdown
Quote:
“Unfortunately, the highly competitive Pay TV industry, with expensive content and network deals, has been slower to change than we expected. Because of this, we have decided to remain focused on our core gaming business,” Sony said in a blog post announcing the shutdown. “PlayStation fans can continue to access movie and TV content through the PlayStation Store on PS4 and via our partnerships with top entertainment apps.”
Old 01-21-2020, 07:34 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

They skip E3, but then say " Because of this, we have decided to remain focused on our core gaming business "

Buwahahahaha. Sounds like new management and they've been making some bad decisions.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
They skip E3, but then say " Because of this, we have decided to remain focused on our core gaming business "

Buwahahahaha. Sounds like new management and they've been making some bad decisions.
$599 in coming console?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:17 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

$599 for a new console sounds like a new norm as well. Interesting to see what they can do. What is MS's target price?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:22 PM

I believe Phil Spencer said they remember the mistakes of the start of last generation and won't be beat on price or power again. But who knows. I'm guessing they match PS5 in price at least.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I believe Phil Spencer said they remember the mistakes of the start of last generation and won't be beat on price or power again. But who knows. I'm guessing they match PS5 in price at least.
I'm interested in their angle long term. No reason to subsidize a console to match the competition at launch if you're not really doing exclusive content, and your stuff is available in your store or other stores to other platforms, to recoup your loss-leading costs. Live will be a a good reason for so long as it lasts, but I'm starting to wonder what the long term model is and, as others have been saying, maybe it eventually doesn't actually involve the box itself so much.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:39 PM

Seems they're all about gamepass now. Imagine both consoles are 499. You go buy a PS5. there's 500, then 2 games, another 120 or so. You're almost hitting 700 soon.

You go buy an Xbox. 499. Then most likely get at least a month of gamepass with it. And there's day one launch games on the console you just bought at no extra price. We shall see how that goes.

I also believe Sony is going to release their exclusives on PC as well. Like Death Stranding is, Godfall, Dreams and many other will make the move as well. Nintendo seems to be the last that will have true exclusives.

MS seems to want games played everywhere. On your phone, some on Nintendo. PC. Xcloud all over. We shall see.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:15 PM
Watcher of stances

i used to have PS Vue, was a great bargain until they lost viacom channels

Quote:
$599 in coming console?
i hope so, 4K60 (if that's really the goal) doesn't come cheap.

Last edited by michealo; 01-29-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Seems they're all about gamepass now. Imagine both consoles are 499. You go buy a PS5. there's 500, then 2 games, another 120 or so. You're almost hitting 700 soon.

You go buy an Xbox. 499. Then most likely get at least a month of gamepass with it. And there's day one launch games on the console you just bought at no extra price. We shall see how that goes.

I also believe Sony is going to release their exclusives on PC as well. Like Death Stranding is, Godfall, Dreams and many other will make the move as well. Nintendo seems to be the last that will have true exclusives.

MS seems to want games played everywhere. On your phone, some on Nintendo. PC. Xcloud all over. We shall see.
Xbone 2 for $499 but PS5 is $500? I see the bias!!!!!

I also dont really know much about the things you're talking about. subscription gaming just isn't for me.

Either will have plenty of games to play when I buy, because I'm done paying max cash, waiting for games to come in a couple years along with the non-janitor version of the console. Launch consoles have become sucker editions.

Last edited by Badger3920; 01-30-2020 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
i used to have PS Vue, was a great bargain until they lost viacom channels

i hope so, 4K60 (if that's really the goal) doesn't come cheap.
Some say even 120 fps lower res, up to 8k for indie games. Wouldn't that be something. For both consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
Xbone 2 for $499 but PS5 is $500? I see the bias!!!!!

I also dont really know much about the things you're talking about. subscription gaming just isn't for me.

Either will have plenty of games to play when I buy, because I'm done paying max cash, waiting for games to come in a couple years along with the non-janitor version of the console. Launch consoles have become sucker editions.
BC will help the transition with both I would think. Plus cross gen games like COD and Battlefield. Madden. The usual games.