PlayStation loses another exclusive - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2020, 03:07 PM

Default PlayStation loses another exclusive

Why are they doing this? Horizon Zero Dawn is now going to PC. Same with Death Stranding. The baseball game is going multi platform. Why do I need to buy a play station or xbox now?
Old 01-16-2020, 05:13 PM
HDD Contributor

If you take a "long haul" view of it, with the exception of VR, which is still incredibly resource hungry, traditional games-on-screen games are approaching the point of diminishing returns. I mean, you look at the FFVII remake and the graphics there are, incredibly, not a gigantic, massive drop off from the FFVII CGI movie that came out several years ago. Pretty soon, games are going to look as good as possible for the amount of time required to create them, and the hardware that the game appears on isn't going to be much of a differentiating factor.

This is only going to get worse if games actually do move onto a streaming model, which, if they can get it to work without lag issues, would beg the question, "Why buy a box at home at all, when I can play a game like it was on max PC settings?" I think maybe Microsoft with their "All our games will be cross-gen for the Xbox Series X's first year," and this move on Sony's part to start putting exclusives out on other machines is all just a bit of far-sighted thinking on their part. Sure, we were sad when Sega said they weren't making consoles anymore, but on the other hand, Sega's doing not too bad strictly as a software developer.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:19 PM

Maybe has a long ways to go. I don't know anyone who talks about or has a stadia.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:40 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Maybe has a long ways to go. I don't know anyone who talks about or has a stadia.
It does, agreed. There are a lot of technical hurdles, but the actual idea itself is very seductive to both service providers and customers. If you can get top-tier PC gaming performance without having to buy a $1000+ PC, every year, that would be very attractive to people, but of course, the tech actually has to work.