Sony announces PS5, release date, and features - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-08-2019, 03:40 PM

Default Sony announces PS5, release date, and features

Quote:
Up to this point, Sony hasnít officially confirmed the name or when to expect the release of its next-generation game console. That changed today, however, with confirmation that its next-generation console will indeed be called the PlayStation 5 and itís scheduled to release in the holiday season of 2020. While we wonít get our hands on it for about a year, itís packing some very interesting technology under the hood.

In a story by Wired, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan said that the console will stick to the simple naming conventions of past consoles, and it will release in the holiday season of next year. Ryan was joined for the interview by system architect and Knack mastermind Mark Cerny, who clarified that ray tracing will be possible on the system through GPU acceleration.

The PS5 will come with a 4K Blu-ray player and discs will be 100GB in size. This should eliminate most needs for more than one disc on retail releases, though certain titles could cross that threshold ó this generationís Red Dead Redemption 2 narrowly missed being that large at launch last year. Youíll be able to choose what you install from a game, however, meaning if you are only interested in the campaign, you wonít have to waste time with the rest of the game and have it take up space.

The PlayStation controller will be getting something of an overhaul for the PS5, as well. It will feature ďadaptive triggersĒ with resistance based on your activities as well as haptic feedback that is more lifelike than the rumble found on most controllers today. This can even affect the analog sticks, and the larger battery being installed in each controller should help with the poor battery life that has plagued the DualShock 4 this generation.

The PlayStation 5 is shaping up to be a powerhouse that can go toe-to-toe with Xbox Scarlett, and development kits are in the hands of developers right now. Among them is longtime Sony partner Bluepoint Games, which said it is working on a ďbig one,Ē but did not clarify what that meant. Past projects have included remastered and remade versions of games like Uncharted: Drakeís Fortune and Shadow of the Colossus. Some have speculated its next project could be a new version of Demonís Souls, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year.
Back in the day, this type of announcement would make for some epic fights around here....

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...ptic-feedback/
Old 10-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
The PS5 will come with a 4K Blu-ray player
Andrew House has claimed there is not enough consumer interest in 4K UHD discs to support the format on the new PlayStation 4 Pro.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:55 PM

No one talking specs yet.. kinda odd since it would seem they are locked-in at this point.. everything else is somewhat secondary.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:56 PM

While I agree it was a bad decision for the consumer, 4K will be a lot more common in 2020 than it was in 2016 (when the Pro was released). So, the comment is out-of-date and not as relevant today.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
No one talking specs yet.. kinda odd since it would seem they are locked-in at this point.. everything else is somewhat secondary.
They have been burned pretty bad before by announcing specs too early. Last minute hardware changes are not uncommon, i.e. PS4 getting 8GB RAM instead of 4GB, Xbox One getting a CPU boost from 1.6 Ghz to 1.75 Ghz, etc). When do consoles typically start full production in anticipation of launch? 3-6 months?
Old 10-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
They have been burned pretty bad before by announcing specs too early. Last minute hardware changes are not uncommon, i.e. PS4 getting 8GB RAM instead of 4GB, Xbox One getting a CPU boost from 1.6 Ghz to 1.75 Ghz, etc). When do consoles typically start full production in anticipation of launch? 3-6 months?
I think the APU chip designs are locked in already, but you're right, some of the other things can be tweaked.

Iím sure both will be very close in power.. I actually hope they each offer something unique.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:19 PM

I still think it's silly to chase 4K. I rather they just hit the 1440p mark and high frame rates. But, that's me. Still, Ray Tracing seems to be something they are chasing. Yet, I don't think we'll see it on more than the smaller titles. Which, is still a good showcase. I just can't imagine the console being able to push it better than current PCs. Could be wrong...but, I'm not counting on AMD delivering on that.

I don't see myself buying the launch unit. I'll probably hold off this go around for actual titles to play. I still haven't purchased a Switch and I was a big supporter of Nintendo.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:28 PM
HDD Contributor

Well, the slow drip-feed of info begins.

I'm curious about the haptic feedback on the controllers, but I'm curious to hear about their VR plans, and how the current PSVR and inevitable PSVR 2 are going to work into them.
Still, it's good to have news out. I don't know how anyone else here feels, but I'm actually okay with moving to a new generation of consoles at this point. Feels like it's time.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 AM
Watcher of stances

preorders when?
Old 10-09-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I don't know how anyone else here feels, but I'm actually okay with moving to a new generation of consoles at this point. Feels like it's time.
Any time I go from playing on PC to my regular PS4, the downgrade in performance is jarring. Even just playing Minecraft with my son is like a slap in the face. I'm doing everything I can to get him switched over fully to PC at this point. 20fps with jet engine fan noise anytime we try to play co-op games is not acceptable.

If Sony can't set a new standard for higher frame rates on the PS5 (which seems impossible at this point), I don't think I'll be on board. Bloodborne and getting my son into gaming was enough of a draw last time, but I have even less time to game these days, and the PC is even more of a mainstream platform than it was back then. I haven't spent nearly as much time on my PS4 as I did the PS3, and now that I'm moving into upper management, I expect even less time to play games. What time I will have to play should be spent with the best experiences possible and that means playing on a platform with solid frame rates.

At this point, I don't see myself picking up a next gen console. Maybe if there's some killer app my son wants, but not for me.