Nvidia Stock Falls Following Turing Reviews... - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 PM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,800
Default Nvidia Stock Falls Following Turing Reviews...

Quote:
Morgan Stanley says the gaming performance of Nvidia's latest graphics card is below its expectations.

In August, Nvidia announced its new eighth-generation Turing graphics architecture. Technology media outlets published reviews on the company's first gaming cards based on the new chips Wednesday morning.

"As review embargos broke for the new gaming products, performance improvements in older games is not the leap we had initially hoped for," Morgan Stanley analyst Joseph Moore said in a note to clients on Thursday. "Performance boost on older games that do not incorporate advanced features is somewhat below our initial expectations, and review recommendations are mixed given higher price points."


Nvidia shares are down 2.6 percent Thursday.

Moore noted that Nvidia's new RTX 2080 card performed only 3 percent better than the previous generation's 1080Ti card at 4K resolutions.

"We are surprised that the 2080 is only slightly better than the 1080ti, which has been available for over a year and is slightly less expensive," he said. "With higher clock speeds, higher core count, and 40% higher memory bandwidth, we had expected a bigger boost."

As a result he expects the adoption of Nvidia's new products to be "slower" and doesn't expect "much upside" from the company's gaming business in its next two financial quarters.

Despite the disappointment, Moore reiterated his overweight rating and $273 price target for Nvidia shares due to the company's strong long-term technology position.

Correction: The correct name of the new card is RTX 2080.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/20/nvid...ppointing.html
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-20-2018, 04:04 PM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,355
Default

They deserve it.

I doubt this will have any long term impact, because they won't be manufacturing enough of them to meet the demands of the people who will buy it. They'll keep the stock scarce to give the 1000 series time to sell through the available stock.

But hopefully as we get into next year and the 1000 series goes away, we'll see a price drop on Turing. Given the minor performance gains, they'll be competing with second hand cards on ebay and Craigslist if they try to play hardball. The 1070 and 1080 are still fully capable of FHD and QHD performance. The markets for G-Sync and 4K just aren't big enough to support Turing at this price point beyond the initial wave of early adopters who need the new shinny things.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2018, 07:08 AM
RedRedSuit's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,729
Default

Anyone who watches stocks a little laughs at any report about a 2.6% drop. That kind of swing can happen any day. If thatís the marketís reaction to this, nVidia has nothing to worry about on that front at least.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Averry's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
They deserve it.

I doubt this will have any long term impact, because they won't be manufacturing enough of them to meet the demands of the people who will buy it. They'll keep the stock scarce to give the 1000 series time to sell through the available stock.

But hopefully as we get into next year and the 1000 series goes away, we'll see a price drop on Turing. Given the minor performance gains, they'll be competing with second hand cards on ebay and Craigslist if they try to play hardball. The 1070 and 1080 are still fully capable of FHD and QHD performance. The markets for G-Sync and 4K just aren't big enough to support Turing at this price point beyond the initial wave of early adopters who need the new shinny things.
How did these prices compare to the 1080s prices at launch?

Personally I don't know that it's so bad that they don't outperform 1080s that much on old games. It's a replacement for the 1080 but every can collectively agree to not upgrade unless you have older cards than the 1080. Sure their marketing is disingenuous but who's isn't?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-23-2018, 03:28 PM
Averry's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Anyone who watches stocks a little laughs at any report about a 2.6% drop. That kind of swing can happen any day. If thatís the marketís reaction to this, nVidia has nothing to worry about on that front at least.
Not to mention it's hard to necessarily declare any one reasoning. I think without looking, they've been a hot stock the last few years. (course most stocks have been kinda hot)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-23-2018, 06:08 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Anyone who watches stocks a little laughs at any report about a 2.6% drop. That kind of swing can happen any day. If thatís the marketís reaction to this, nVidia has nothing to worry about on that front at least.
It's like hearing how the DOW in general is down because of <insert excuse here>. It's like, noone gives a shit, in 3 days it will have rebounded that amount, and more.
When I saw a Reuters report the other day about the stock market dropping because of the next round of the Trade War with China, I could not help but reply to the effect that noone gives a shit, and that in 3 days the market would reach new highs as though nothing has happened. And so, it did. Surprise Surprise.
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 AM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averry View Post
How did these prices compare to the 1080s prices at launch?

Personally I don't know that it's so bad that they don't outperform 1080s that much on old games. It's a replacement for the 1080 but every can collectively agree to not upgrade unless you have older cards than the 1080. Sure their marketing is disingenuous but who's isn't?
It's a 25-40% increase in frame rates on traditional games at 4K/Ultra when you compare the 1080 Ti to 2080 Ti at a relative launch price increase of $400 (35%). For both Maxwell and Pascal (the previous two generations), they saw bigger increases for the same relative launch price.

Like we said elsewhere - if the 2080 Ti were $750-$800 and the 2080 were $500-$550, Turing would make sense. It's a half step forward in traditional power with this new whiz-bang effect added that might turn out to be cool. But at the insane price they launched at, it feels likes like a finger in the eye of their core audience.

By the time real-time Ray Tracing is added to nearly every big game and it really makes sense to have a card that can run it, we'll have a new generation of cards. So why spend $1200 now?

Keep in mind, Nvidia has said the lower end cards like 2070 and 2060 won't get the Ray Tracing capabilities.

Last edited by RM; 09-24-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2018, 01:15 PM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
It's a 25-40% increase in frame rates on traditional games at 4K/Ultra when you compare the 1080 Ti to 2080 Ti at a relative launch price increase of $400 (35%). For both Maxwell and Pascal (the previous two generations), they saw bigger increases for the same relative launch price.

Like we said elsewhere - if the 2080 Ti were $750-$800 and the 2080 were $500-$550, Turing would make sense. It's a half step forward in traditional power with this new whiz-bang effect added that might turn out to be cool. But at the insane price they launched at, it feels likes like a finger in the eye of their core audience.

By the time real-time Ray Tracing is added to nearly every big game and it really makes sense to have a card that can run it, we'll have a new generation of cards. So why spend $1200 now?

Keep in mind, Nvidia has said the lower end cards like 2070 and 2060 won't get the Ray Tracing capabilities.

^ Pretty much this.

I fully feel this is Nvidia pricing around the bitmining craze that died off. They saw what some were willing to pay and figured they'd pull an Apple on the fanbase. Nvidia is seriously only competing with themselves currently. Also, their successful partnership with Nintendo is also helping them.

I think sales are going to ultimately be lower for these cards other than the dragon chasers/team green. Fully expecting the next round of the RTX cards to come down a few hundred. Perhaps, not $800, but I definitely see the Ti of the series being $1000, at least.
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-24-2018, 04:05 PM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,355
Default

Cynically, it makes me wonder if the high price was a move to push people who were on the fence to buy Pascal cards. If someone like me has been waiting to see what the performance level would be and now sees the high price for minor improvement, maybe the 1000 series becomes more attractive. It would make sense to funnel people in that direction if their margins on Pascal are higher.

For me personally, I think I could justify a 1080 or 1080 Ti right now, but not anything above or below those lines.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-24-2018, 05:15 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,201
Default

I recall the prices between the 980Ti and the 1080Ti were within $100, and improvement was about 35%. But the 2080Ti compared to the 1080Ti, add another $450 on average and the same 35% improvement again, NO THANKS, not jumping at that one. Had it been a similar price or within even $100, I would have considered it, but not necessarily pounced on it. The miners have caused a price increase so we need to see a correction. AMD, do you hear me?
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'The Turing Test (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review Brian Hoss Game Room 0 09-04-2016 08:52 AM
Ubisoft Stock Drops Following 'Watch Dogs' Delay and Other Poor Results Brian Hoss Game Room 8 10-16-2013 04:06 PM
Zynga stock falls 40% after posting quarterly loss. Bane Game Room 0 07-25-2012 07:33 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off