Take-Two plans to only release games with 'recurrent consumer spending' hooks - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-09-2017, 03:39 PM

Default Take-Two plans to only release games with 'recurrent consumer spending' hooks

Companies I don't currently support...

Ubisoft
EA
WB
Take-Two

It's funny, I would have purchased GTAV on PC, but after the whole Mod fiasco and now...this...yea, no.

Quote:
- Take-Two chief Strauss Zelnick, speaking to investors on a conference call today.

In a conference call with investors today, Take-Two Interactive chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick made it clear that, at least for Take-Two, the game industry is now all about "recurrent consumer spending" rather than game sales.

"The business, once upon a time, was a big chunky opportunity to engage for tens of hours, or perhaps a hundred hours," he said. That has turned into ongoing engagement. Day after day, week after week. You fall in love with these titles, and they become part of your daily life."

This perspective is not terribly surprising, given that Take-Two continues to generate tons of revenue from sales of in-game items and virtual currency in games like Grand Theft Auto Online and NBA2K 17.

However, it still gives other devs in the industry a bit more insight into where Take-Two plans to take its business in the future: "recurrent consumer spending opportunities" (aka microtransactions).

"We've said that we aim to have recurrent consumer spending opportunities for every title that we put out at this company. It may not always be an online model, it probably won't always be a virtual currency model, but there will be some ability to engage in an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board," Zelnick continued.

"That's a sea change in our business. Recurrent consumer spending is 42 percent of our net bookings in the quarter. It's been transformative for us."

And Take-Two isn't alone -- just earlier today Ubisoft reported its latest quarterly earnings, and "player recurring investment" revenue was a big chunk of its revenue.

"One of the things we've learned is if we create a robust opportunity, and a robust world, in which people can play delightfully in a bigger and bigger way, that they will keep coming back. They will engage. And there is an opportunity to monetize that engagement," added Zelnick. "There's a lot of room for growth. This is just the beginning."

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ding_hooks.php

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Companies I don't currently support...

Ubisoft
EA
WB
Take-Two

It's funny, I would have purchased GTAV on PC, but after the whole Mod fiasco and now...this...yea, no.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ding_hooks.php
Gamers won't give a shit and will drop cash for the game

You are in the minority
Old 11-09-2017, 04:00 PM

I'm totally fine with that. They should care.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Watcher of stances

project ten dollars didn't work out
Old 11-09-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
project ten dollars didn't work out
I don't know this reference. However, I will buy games once under a threshold that limits profit to almost zero. It's easy, honestly, as my interest for these types of games is already zero. I consider Assassin's Creed to be a terrible series with no redeeming qualities. It's just noise. Boring design, poor story, and terrible piece meal DLC... just makes the whole thing easy to ignore.

The likelihood of myself even considering RDR2 as a purchase is almost zero at this point. Which, I like Rockstar, but their parent company is a cancer. They need to separate.

The only actions I can control are my own. What other people do, doesn't concern me. However, I do implore people to consider the ramifications of their continued support for awful practices. I know people say wallet protest don't work...but they do. Look at how MS changed course with the Xbox to make a system that, still, nobody is buying, but is a much better product than originally released.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:57 PM

This is a terrible trend in gaming, along with those cards in multiplayer. Back to the original point, the speculation is that this is one of the reasons that single player Star Wars game was canned. They wouldn't have an ongoing revenue stream.

But us old gamers are probaly the only people who care about this.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:04 PM

We're just in another one of those phases. Remember when WoW blew up in 2004 and for the next 5 years, everyone wanted to make the next WoW so they could cash in? Well Valve managed to look at what mobile games were doing and create an insane economy with their games. Everyone else looked at that and said "me too!"

Single player games don't make as much money because there's no on-going hook, so it's only natural the companies that are only interested in the bottom line would move away from them. I think what people are going to find though is that when you don't have a strong narrative from a single player experience, customers don't get nearly as attached to your IP. Look at Halo - they've been beating a dead horse for at least the last two games, and there are still millions of people who show up every time they put a game out. It's because people have an emotional attachment to that series. Same thing happened to Final Fantasy. It's great for the people who find a winning formula - like WoW did back in the day. But for those that make big investments and don't hit, the fall can be crippling.

Hopefully the tools for indie developers can continue to improve and we'll see single player filled more with games made by people who are passionate about them, rather than wage slaves grinding away on something they don't care about because their corporate overlords are yanking the bonus choke-chain.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I consider Assassin's Creed to be a terrible series with no redeeming qualities. It's just noise. Boring design, poor story, and terrible piece meal DLC... just makes the whole thing easy to ignore.
If the gameplay is fun, I can deal with poor story, ignore the DLC, etc. But the core gameplay loop has to be solid. I've usually felt AC fails at this (only really enjoyed the sailing part of Black Flag), while games like FarCry 3 and 4 have been great. Sure, their stories are weak and predictable, but hunting animals, knocking over outposts, base jumping off of radio towers, and blowing up jeeps with the M79 is a great gameplay loop. I enjoy those games knowing full well they are Ubisoft's version of a cash grab.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:39 AM

I have no problem if developers want to monetize their game past the initial purchase price, but there are right ways to do it and wrong ways to do it. Loot boxes have no appeal to me.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I consider Assassin's Creed to be a terrible series with no redeeming qualities. It's just noise. Boring design, poor story, and terrible piece meal DLC... just makes the whole thing easy to ignore.
The games themselves are good, not great. The ability to drop into a historical time & place, and interact as part of that world, is a big part of the experience though, and something only gaming can deliver.

Last edited by hdinred; 11-10-2017 at 10:01 AM.