Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Default Nathan Drake Battles Puberty In Uncharted Movie

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is bullish enough on its upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming star Tom Holland that the studio is doubling down on the young actor by building a second major franchise around him. Holland is attaching to star in Uncharted, in what will be redrafted as a prequel to the treasure-hunting action storyline in the Naughty Dog video game for PlayStation.

Shawn Levy is directing a film that will take its inspiration from a sequence in the third iteration of the video game that focused on the young thief Drake, and his first encounter with the professional rogue, Sullivan. This reformulation of the franchise was an inspiration of Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman after seeing the latest cut of the Spider-Man film, sources said.

The studio has tried for years with various directors to get this video game to launch a franchise, with past scripts from Joe Carnahan, David Guggenheim and Eric Warren Singer. Sony Pictures will now set a new scribe to draft the story line that captures the protagonist as he grows into the treasure hunter Nathan Drake, who made the game a top seller. Uncharted is produced by Charles Roven, Avi Arad, Alex Gartner and Ari Arad.

Holland first trotted out his Peter Parker character to great acclaim in Captain America: Civil War, the stage setter to the two sequels to The Avengers being directed by Joe and Anthony Russo. WME and Curtis Brown rep the actor. The Jon Watts-directed Spider-Man: Homecoming bows July 7, the first iteration of the webslinger that has directly involved Marvel Studios.

Holland also stars with Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon and Katherine Waterston in the Alfonso Gomez-Rejon-directed The Current War, which The Weinstein Company releases December 22. Hollandís Spider-Man warmup in Captain America showed the wide-eyed wonder and youthful exuberance, a mash of superpowers and puberty that was consistent with my memory of the original Marvel Comics story line. Previous stars Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield seemed more burdened by tragedy. Holland will hopefully now get to grow into both franchises, which I canít recall happening quite like this before.
    https://deadline.com/2017/05/tom-hol...vy-1202099530/

------

With the mess that was Uncharted 4, I'm not surprised they'd make a stupid decision like this. Oh well, another video game movie for the fire.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

DaveS1138 is offline Member

Uncharted 4 was a mess? You must have played some weird other version of the great game I played

As for this news.....not exactly the direction I wanted them to go, but then Nathan Fillion isn't getting any younger
    PSN : DaveS1138
    The Definitive (tm) GT5 vs Forza 3 bet
    Vanquished I retreat from the field.....the victory is miDnIghtEr's
    Forza - Finally able to race at night and in the wet...just like GT3 did.....in 2001.....on the PS2

I absolutely hated Uncharted 4. Like, I just flat out don't know why they even bothered including sections of "gameplay." Just release it as a movie and call it a day.

It's regressive game design.

This movie seems on point with how dumb the series got after 2.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

No way this will actually make it to the screen. If we get an Uncharted movie, it will have a different lead. They can't make a Prequel movie to a game. Not enough people will have the pre-requisite knowledge of the franchise to support the film. A prequal only works after you've established the franchise with previous films.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    No way this will actually make it to the screen. If we get an Uncharted movie, it will have a different lead. They can't make a Prequel movie to a game. Not enough people will have the pre-requisite knowledge of the franchise to support the film. A prequal only works after you've established the franchise with previous films.
    Prequels never work. They are bad forms of storytelling because they feed you useless knowledge.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Prequels never work. They are bad forms of storytelling because they feed you useless knowledge.
    I happen to like Origin story type prequels, but I agree. It's just some extra candy for the existing fans, and they rarely stand on their own.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

I happen to like Origin story type prequels, but I agree. It's just some extra candy for the existing fans, and they rarely stand on their own.
    I was thinking about the only prequel that I've ever enjoyed...and I think it's Better Call Saul. Mainly, because it's fixated on a completely different side character. It also stands on it's own. In some areas, it surpasses it's source.

Prequel/Sequel films, like Godfather 2, are different because they are feeding you information for the narrative at hand. The one you're actually consuming at that moment. So, it isn't useless knowledge but something that will be referenced directly.

The Hobbit as a film is terrible because instead of being it's source, which was it's own thing, they tried to hammer on bouts of useless information. Stuff that isn't important for the direct narrative that is happening on screen. This is why it was always kept as an Appendix, not included in the direct sources. It's why the fan edits that combine the films into a four hour narrative are vastly superior to the original three film version.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Prequels are a lazy form of storytelling, basically trying to use a fan base without risking anything really new. But like anything, there are outliers that are good. MGS3 is a prequel that's simultaneously a sequel for example and ties into 4 perfectly.

BCS was Breaking Bad but more boring. I never understood that concept even though I kept watching out of mild interest. I mean it's just a lot less exciting and thrilling. It is very well made in every respect but just why? Why? That question kept coming up throughout.

However this season is somehow feeling like it's going somewhere. It's been very enjoyable.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

I love Better Call Saul. I think it's better than Breaking Bad.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

I haven't watched Saul. Breaking Bad was so damn good, I'm hesitant to watch it as it might not live up to my respect for the original.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

I haven't watched Saul. Breaking Bad was so damn good, I'm hesitant to watch it as it might not live up to my respect for the original.
    It's so far removed. Honestly, not knowing anything about BB, doesn't hurt the series at all. It just means you miss out on Easter Eggs.

The problem with certain aspects is that drama is reduced as the outcome of characters are known. Still, the show doesn't focus on those moments. Instead, it focuses on drama outside of the BB world. Things that don't carry over directly, but instead, drive a character to become what they end up becoming. So, it's interesting to see how Saul becomes Saul.

Besides, Bob Odenkirk is just so damn good.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

Besides, Bob Odenkirk is just so damn good.
    He's the only reason I'm very tempted to watch it.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

weasl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
    Uncharted 4 was a mess? You must have played some weird other version of the great game I played

As for this news.....not exactly the direction I wanted them to go, but then Nathan Fillion isn't getting any younger
    This is Two we're talking about. UC4 was one of the best in the series, honestly better then 2 which I loved.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

RM
    RM is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    UC4 was one of the best in the series, honestly better then 2 which I loved.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

DaveS1138 is offline Member

Prequels never work.
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was an amazing movie and a prequel. It couldn't quite reach the height of Raiders but that's only because Raiders set the bar so damn high.
    PSN : DaveS1138
    The Definitive (tm) GT5 vs Forza 3 bet
    Vanquished I retreat from the field.....the victory is miDnIghtEr's
    Forza - Finally able to race at night and in the wet...just like GT3 did.....in 2001.....on the PS2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast