Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony

Default Digital sales now represent 74% of the US game market

Suddenly, I don't sound so crazy...

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) today released its annual report, Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry, shedding light on the continued growth of games in the US. While physical format sales are steadily declining, the total picture for the US games industry is actually quite positive, with overall sales climbing each year since 2010, when the industry totaled $17.5 billion. In 2016, the total spend on games content was $24.5 billion and if you factor in hardware, accessories and VR, that figure rises to $30.4 billion. Digital has been accounting for a bigger and bigger portion of the sales total each year, and in 2016 that portion was 74%, including full game digital downloads, subscriptions, DLC, mobile and social.

The flourishing games business has contributed over $11.7 billion to the US GDP last year, and the ESA notes that there are over 65,000 employees at game companies across the nation currently, with the average compensation in 2016 being $97,000. All told, there are 2,322 developer locations across all 50 states with 526 publisher locations across 44 states.

As for the consumers pouring the money into the market, the ESA reports that 67% of US households now own a gaming device, with 65% of households being home to a person who plays at least three hours a week. As you might expect, the PC tops the list at 97% ownership, and smartphones aren't far behind at 81%. Consoles now sit at 48% and, interestingly, 11% of US households now have a VR device (which likely includes mobile VR). On that last point, ESA (citing EEDAR) also found that 1-in-3 of the "most frequent gamers" are likely to buy a VR device in the next year.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...us-game-market

---
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

I did make the decision with this console generation to go digital. I've still got a few disc games here and there, usually just picked up on impulse while walking past a game store that had a sale on used copies, but I actually number less than 10 disc-based games with the vast majority of my PS4 games on digital.

I actually prefer the convenience, especially since this generation required full installs to the hard drive anyway, so just needing the disc around for an authentication check seemed a bit redundant. And the PSN has actually been pretty decent with sales that I've picked up quite a few titles at pretty low prices.

Once I feel confident in that games are going to transcend their hardware, I'll be buying digital mostly. When the One launched and didn't support XBLA games, I basically signed off. So, we'll see. I'm feeling more confident with everything this time around. So, I'm 50/50.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

hdinred is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Suddenly, I don't sound so crazy...
    Your crazy statements aren't validated by info everyone knew and agreed upon for a long time now!

You said an internal hard drive was equal to DRM, PC BD drives can play UHD-BD with firmware updates, people will just download 4K transfers and the newest one: UHD-BD was DOA!

I seem to recall arguing for digital and you saying it was just a way for companies to strip ownership.. right?
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

RM
    RM is online now Member

The one disc game I bought this gen was Bloodborne. I picked up the digital copy when it went on sale and threw out the disc, just so I could be 100% digital.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    Your crazy statements aren't validated by info everyone knew and agreed upon for a long time now!

You said an internal hard drive was equal to DRM, PC BD drives can play UHD-BD with firmware updates, people will just download 4K transfers and the newest one: UHD-BD was DOA!

I seem to recall arguing for digital and you saying it was just a way for companies to strip ownership.. right?
    No, I said a locked Hard Drive is like DRM. It is. If you don't understand that locking a user out of a harddrive swap is similar than, that's not my problem. It's basically keeping that data tied to hardware.

Nintendo did it. MS did it.

As a PC User, I despise any effort to limit my ability to control my purchased hardware. Again, if you don't understand that, then that's your problem. It's not "crazy." It's actually a very reasonable request to want to have hard drives being swappable. I've had several HDDs die. It's a pain if you can't self fix it.

*Additional Edit*

*Now, I can give you that my hatred for external harddrives is petty...but that's solely a preference thing and doesn't subtract from my bigger point in unswappable harddrives being anti-consumer.

Actually, I don't think I talked about firmware updates on BD drives. However, some of them did actually get firmware updates. I think that was Fav that started that conversation. It's literally just a file on a disc.

Digital is a way to strip ownership. I can't fight against the inevitable. I've stated this.

UHD-BD is a DOA format. Investing into it is silly and a waste. It's the last cash grab for physical media. Writing has been on the wall since BD.

You seem to have created some false narrative that I agree with everything on which I argue on. I've always argued in favor of consumer rights and ownership. However, I also see the writing on the wall and see the inevitable outcome. I might not like the lack of ownership, but that doesn't mean I don't see it coming.

If you accept digital then why can't you see how a physical format media is DOA? If the percentage is already at 74% for games...imagine the percentage for films. Sales were slumping during BD, they ain't climbing for UHD. Liking what a format offers doesn't change its worth or it's inevitable death. UHD-BD is a DOA format. It's meant to only appease a short term market as the content for 4k streaming increases.

Where do you see UHD-BD in 5 years?
    Last edited by twonunpackmule; 04-20-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

It's not 74% of game downloads. It's 74% of revenue, which includes subscriptions and mobile sales. Think about all the money that gets dropped on mobile stuff like Clash of Clans and Game of War, along with XBL and PSN subscriptions - that's part of that 74% figure.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    It's not 74% of game downloads. It's 74% of revenue, which includes subscriptions and mobile sales. Think about all the money that gets dropped on mobile stuff like Clash of Clans and Game of War, along with XBL and PSN subscriptions - that's part of that 74% figure.
    Content is content. Games are games. We can argue over value/our own interest, but the truth is the bigger picture. I don't mobile, but that doesn't mean people don't consume entertainment that way. It's still just as viable an option as console gaming/PC gaming is to us. Content is being purchased and consumed digitally and that is growing.

I have a friend that is pretty much exclusively into Pokémon Go. I played it for three days until I discovered that it's impossible to play in Alaska. So, I missed that boat due to location.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

Content is content. Games are games. We can argue over value/our own interest, but the truth is the bigger picture. I don't mobile, but that doesn't mean people don't consume entertainment that way. It's still just as viable an option as console gaming/PC gaming is to us. Content is being purchased and consumed digitally and that is growing.
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to argue here, but I wasn't dismissing digital. I'm just pointing out that this report does not imply 74% of games purchased on consoles are digital.

I wish it did, because I'd like to see Game Stop go out of business. I think they are a parasitic company.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

Wasn't there a report on GameStop doing some closings?

----

I'm ADD and bouncing around work and slacking off. So ignore my oddities.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

Yeah, they closed some stores. There was also a report that their worst internal policies have been revised to be less terrible.

But they're still making a killing screwing players. If people would just buy points cards (if needed) and watch for digital sales, they would have no need for Game Stop.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

thejnc is offline Member

Wasn't there a report on GameStop doing some closings?

----

I'm ADD and bouncing around work and slacking off. So ignore my oddities.
    And HHGregg and Sears and zombie malls. But sure, it's probably that 74% of digital purchases that is closing Gamestops.

Bullshit percentage anyways. Let me know what it is without mobile then I'll decide how doomed physical is.
    Finished 2017 Games
    Finished 2016 Games
    Finished 2015 Games
    Finished 2014 Games

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Thejnc has essentially perfect grammar around here...

But, mobile is digital? You're equating your personal taste over the actual discussion.

The video game industry also made 5 billion on DLC alone.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

I skimmed, what's the number without mobile?
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

thejnc is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by michealo View Post
    I skimmed, what's the number without mobile?
    Twonun doesn't want to discuss that.
    Finished 2017 Games
    Finished 2016 Games
    Finished 2015 Games
    Finished 2014 Games

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Thejnc has essentially perfect grammar around here...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast