Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Xbox Three (months in a row)

Boom! Two months in a row for Xbox One.

Xbox One S helped Microsoft outsell the PS4 in August

The Xbox One outsold the PlayStation 4 in August, thanks to a boost from Microsoft's latest console, the Xbox One S. A 2TB model of the Xbox One S hit shelves on August 2nd for $400 and sales of the new console are bundled under the broader "Xbox One" banner. The Xbox One S supports HDR, 4K gaming, streaming and Blu-ray, and it's 40 percent smaller than the launch model.

This is the second month in a row that the Xbox One has outsold the PS4. Microsoft didn't include sales figures in today's announcement, though it did take the opportunity to poke fun at Sony. The PlayStation 4 Pro is Sony's version of a 4K console, though we discovered yesterday that it doesn't have an Ultra HD Blu-ray player. This is odd coming from the company that ushered in the gaming console Blu-ray player with the PS3.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

Onslaught X is offline Expert Industry Analyst

I would guess not three months in a row but who knows. I'm not entirely sure what to expect from PS4 with Pro coming out in November
    Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

Makes sense, would have been rather surprised if Xbox One S didn't win the month
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

hdinred is online now Member

Ms PR:

"thanks to our fans and their excitement for new xbox one games and the recently launched xbox one s, which is the only console available this holiday with built-in uhd 4k blu-ray, 4k video streaming and hdr for video and gaming, xbox one was the best-selling console in the u.s. In august, according to npd group."
    lol..
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Onslaught X is offline Expert Industry Analyst

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    Ms PR:

lol..
    I mean, there's probably not much of a market for it but I'd hammer that shit home if I were MS
    Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club

Dennis M. is offline Member

I wonder how the Pro is going to split the new PS4 buyers. The Xbox One could be ahead for a while though we'll definitely see the usual "PS4 family" shenanigans.

RM
    RM is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis M. View Post
    though we'll definitely see the usual "PS4 family" shenanigans.
    Would you expect them to split the base and Pro models when they talk NDP sales? They are the same platform, so I would not.

If the Pro had exclusives, then sure. But we know now that won't be the case.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Dennis M. is offline Member

No, not really. Actually "PS4 Family" is rather accurate but it sounds funny given what we 've seen in the past.

hdinred is online now Member

Yeah, they're all PS4s, they should all be counted in one total.. I'd love to see the breakdown however, just to see what the choice the public is making.
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

What will be interesting is how they count install base...

Most users of PS4 will trade in their original PS4 and buy a Pro.

Sony will add the pro sales onto their install base numbers.....even though many of them are not actually adding a new user. It's just swapping one system for another.

5 users have PS4's = 5 install base
    5 users trade in PS4 and buy Pro = actual 5 install base
    Sony reports 10 PS4 install base
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

JAC35 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post

Sony will add the pro sales onto their install base numbers.....even though many of them are not actually adding a new user. It's just swapping one system for another.

That sounds like Sony economics
    As an Xbot I am happy to have this launching now so devs can cut their teeth on it and then be ready for Scorpio.
    Last edited by JAC35; 09-09-2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: found answer in another thread
    Blu-ray Player w/ Harmony Adapter
    Toshiba HD-A32.5
    + Win7 Home Premium HTPC
    Panasonic Plasma TC-P54G10
    Panasonic SA-BX500 Receiver
    SVS 5.1 inc. SVS PB12-NSD Sub

james is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
    That sounds like Sony economics

Seriously though, anyone here upgrading? Waiting to see how the devs take advantage of the new hardware first? As an Xbot I am happy to have this launching now so devs can cut their teeth on it and then be ready for Scorpio.
    I've already been pondering getting a second PS4, so the old and busted PS4 is getting moved to the family room for the kids and the new hotness is going down into the man cave.

RedRedSuit is offline Member

Eventually someone will buy the traded in PS4 -- that's the whole point of someone wanting to buy a used console in a trade-in -- so it's not as simple as that. The eventual reality is closer to 10 install base than 5 in that situation.

Now, if someone just keeps their old PS4 and doesn't use it, that's a different story.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

RedRedSuit is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
    Seriously though, anyone here upgrading? Waiting to see how the devs take advantage of the new hardware first? As an Xbot I am happy to have this launching now so devs can cut their teeth on it and then be ready for Scorpio.
    Waiting to see first.

As usual, all it takes is a couple of games I'd want to play on it. Since I have a fancy PC, this had better be a console-only title or an exclusive.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

RM
    RM is online now Member

Just like last time when people in both camps had consoles die and they bought new units. I nearly bought a second 360 when mine crapped, but wasn't using it much anymore, so opted for a repair. I did replace my PS3 with a slim when my Fat blew up though.

And then there's the folks who buy multiple units. *eyeing your 4 XOs*
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast