View Poll Results: Will Sony change their NEO/PS4K plans because of Scorpio?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, as is with the rumored specs.

8 61.54%
  • Yes, they’ll tinker to bring it closer to the 5.5 TF RX480.

4 30.77%
  • Yes, they’ll scrap NEO altogether and go big!

1 7.69%
Page 103 of 120 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1797
    Averry is offline Member

Also, I bought a sweet Panasonic DSLR camcorder hybrid that does amazing 4K video for the price.

I took a bunch of 4K video of the sunset on Lake Sakakawea (largest man made lake in the world? The big splotch of water in North Dakota.)

So I was watching awesome 4K video that I shot on a 4K tv. 👍👌

Quote Originally Posted by Averry View Post
    Also, I bought a sweet Panasonic DSLR camcorder hybrid that does amazing 4K video for the price.

I took a bunch of 4K video of the sunset on Lake Sakakawea (largest man made lake in the world? The big splotch of water in North Dakota.)

RRS says unless you are sitting less than 3" from that TV it's not worth it. Unless it's a Sony TV.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

Averry is offline Member

That's the funny thing, I shot 1080p video too and there's an undeniable difference.

💁*♂️

hdinred is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    RRS says unless you are sitting less than 3" from that TV it's not worth it. Unless it's a Sony TV.
    LOL.. nice...
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

weasl is offline Member

Was it HDR?
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

Onslaught X is offline Expert Industry Analyst

I might be buying a 4KTV in the fall. Not looking to really break the bank though in the event OLED's get better and awesome-er
    Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
    I might be buying a 4KTV in the fall. Not looking to really break the bank though in the event OLED's get better and awesome-er
    Yah I may be in the market at that time as well but I DEFINITELY want OLED and at least 65". Those are my two MUST HAVEs.

hdinred is online now Member

Looking back, I would have held out for an OLED.. they were near $4k-$5k at the time, so it wasn't an option.. you can now find the 65" B7 LG for $3k.

4K+HDR is like 1 step forward.. LED to OLED is like another step... both combined, the difference is huge.
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One – The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    Looking back, I would have held out for an OLED.. they were near $4k-$5k at the time, so it wasn't an option.. you can now find the 65" B7 LG for $3k.

4K+HDR is like 1 step forward.. LED to OLED is like another step... both combined, the difference is huge.
    Yah I'm holding out.

RedRedSuit is online now Member

That's the funny thing, I shot 1080p video too and there's an undeniable difference.

💁*♂️
    There isn't with normal eyesight and most size/distance combos people use in living rooms.

I've never said there's no difference. But with say a 50" TV at 9 feet (for example) there wouldn't be a difference, or a very mild one if I'm being generous. I've both checked for myself and done the math and read the supporting evidence. It's settled, and no little shots like that will ever change reality.

The thing is it's plainly obvious to me how much of this lingering "debate" is driven by partisan nonsense. Why do I say that? Because when dummies like WI extolled the virtues of 1080p ten years ago, it was the Xbox zealots who would literally be making the argument that where they sit they can barely even tell 1080p apart from 720p. Needless to say 4K over 1080p is far harder to see for obvious (unless you're allergic to simple math) reasons, just like 8k will be even harder to justify a few years from now.

There's no mystery. There's no debate. 4K is visible and looks great in show rooms where people stand next to TVs. Also great with large monitors on desks. Barely distinguishable in most living room setups however. But hey, you get side shit like HDR which actually DOES make a difference. So it's fine. I'm not against it. I'm just against trying to extol native 4K itself, which is an obvious waste of compute. Fortunately it's becoming clear that most developers (who aren't being recruited as PR tools) see it that way too, choosing other visual improvements over reaching for native 4K.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

Averry is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    Was it HDR?
    The stuff I shot...no.....but I do believe the Panasonic Lumix FZ2500 has a way to do it...might be worth looking into it.
    PSN: AverryXC
    XBL: AverryXC

27 inch Insignia 720p
    Reclining Chair 14 feet back.

Averry is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    There isn't with normal eyesight and most size/distance combos people use in living rooms.

I've never said there's no difference. But with say a 50" TV at 9 feet (for example) there wouldn't be a difference, or a very mild one if I'm being generous. I've both checked for myself and done the math and read the supporting evidence. It's settled, and no little shots like that will ever change reality.

The thing is it's plainly obvious to me how much of this lingering "debate" is driven by partisan nonsense. Why do I say that? Because when dummies like WI extolled the virtues of 1080p ten years ago, it was the Xbox zealots who would literally be making the argument that where they sit they can barely even tell 1080p apart from 720p. Needless to say 4K over 1080p is far harder to see for obvious (unless you're allergic to simple math) reasons, just like 8k will be even harder to justify a few years from now.

There's no mystery. There's no debate. 4K is visible and looks great in show rooms where people stand next to TVs. Also great with large monitors on desks. Barely distinguishable in most living room setups however. But hey, you get side shit like HDR which actually DOES make a difference. So it's fine. I'm not against it. I'm just against trying to extol native 4K itself, which is an obvious waste of compute. Fortunately it's becoming clear that most developers (who aren't being recruited as PR tools) see it that way too, choosing other visual improvements over reaching for native 4K.
    Video games are a different beast but 4k is noticeable to the trained eye, I have found....in numerous numerous cases.....my TV, my parents TV...different kinds of content.

Just today I used Netflix on my Xbox and my TV at the same time...the same content and both the HDR AND sharpness were pretty noticeable.
    PSN: AverryXC
    XBL: AverryXC

27 inch Insignia 720p
    Reclining Chair 14 feet back.

RM
    RM is online now Member

I'll say this for the umpteenth time: HD video is very different than real time games. HD video doesn't have jaggies and need Anti-Ailiasing to smooth out the image. As such, games get a lot more benifit out of the resolution bump to 4k than movies do.

4k for gaming will be a worthy upgrade. It certainly is on PC when you flip back and forth between native resolutions.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    The thing is it's plainly obvious to me how much of this lingering "debate" is driven by partisan nonsense. Why do I say that? Because when dummies like WI extolled the virtues of 1080p ten years ago, it was the Xbox zealots who would literally be making the argument that where they sit they can barely even tell 1080p apart from 720p.
    I wouldn't consider myself a zealot. Just a person out to prove a point.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    I wouldn't consider myself a zealot. Just a person out to prove a point.
    After all these years, do you really feel I meant you?

No. You call it as you see it. I mean more like moepain, V11, etc. Ppl who suddenly turned blind and couldn't give a crap beyond 720p, just so they wouldn't have to consider HDMI an advantage (1080p over component wasn't common then, and 360 lacked HDMI) or concede a single point to WI when he listed Lair or some shit for its stunning native 1080p (later turned out to not be full 1080p and ugly anyway; or when he was praising MGS4 for 1080p, then it turned out to be sub-720p, so he said he only sees vertical resolution... those were the days! when fanboys truly fanboyed!).
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV