Page 316 of 319 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,740 of 4776
    RM
    RM is online now Member

Second generation high end headset after the first one failed to sell a million units, and a stand alone low tier unit that will likely create market confusion and canibalize sales, at the same time?

Seems unlikely...
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

DaveS1138 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    This looks amazing. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/lone-echo (VR game out now)

I am getting it.
    Looks interesting. Hopefully it will make it's way to PSVR too.
    PSN : DaveS1138
    The Definitive (tm) GT5 vs Forza 3 bet
    Vanquished I retreat from the field.....the victory is miDnIghtEr's
    Forza - Finally able to race at night and in the wet...just like GT3 did.....in 2001.....on the PS2

Badger3920 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Second generation high end headset after the first one failed to sell a million units, and a stand alone low tier unit that will likely create market confusion and canibalize sales, at the same time?

Seems unlikely...
    They paid $2 billion for it just three years ago. Even with ugly early sales, I find it unlikely that they cede the market, throw in the towel and just chase low tier unit dominance. It's not inconceivable; maybe they've determined that the mainstream market for VR, if it ever develops, is only in the lower tier / lower budget - like PSVR or less. But I don't see them giving up this early. They got schellacked in court -- they need to do a redesign to get away from infringement issues, ensure they owe as few royalties as possible, improve form factor, and reduce price. My bet is they do it by competing with a lower tier standalone unit, and then redesigning the main unit.
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
    Looks interesting. Hopefully it will make it's way to PSVR too.
    Side note... http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/lone-echo is by Ready At Dawn. The people behind all those good PSP games and piece of shit / graphical tour-de-force The Order.

Didn't notice that fact earlier....
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

Side note... http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/lone-echo is by Ready At Dawn. The people behind all those good PSP games and piece of shit / graphical tour-de-force The Order.

Didn't notice that fact earlier....
    The order had some control issues and was a little short but other than that I really enjoyed it. Probably because I picked it up for $5 on sale. Not sure how I would have felt paying $60 for it.

Loved their PSP God of War games
    Forza - Finally able to race at night and in the wet...just like GT3 did.....in 2001.....on the PS2

RM
    RM is online now Member

Saw The Order on sale for $5 a while back and didn't hesitate to skip right past it.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

RedRedSuit is online now Member

People should definitely play Lone Echo. Not only a stunning demonstration of free 3D motion in space (sans cockpit or vomit, even), and a visually beautiful game, it's also shaping up to be just a straight up cool game with a cool story.

If it weren't so slow to get out of the gate (tons and tons of practicing of various mechanics based on ththe excuse you're cleaning up the space station module after an "anomaly" hit from Saturn), I'd be tempted to call it a killer app. We will see if it holds up to the end. So far I give it a B+. That grade is as a game, not as "VR demo material" or whatever.

Also Rez Infinite, another high scoring VR hit, just came out for PC (PS VR only since October).
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

I've been playing more Arizona Sunshine now that it's been patched so that the AIM controller works properly.
    It's a pretty big improvement. Head shots are now much easier with the AIM since it's stable in game and they have added a sight to the guns and the movement works much better than it did with the move controllers.

but.....go into a confined space and the nausea is there in a way I never had with the other control schemes......it's a pity since I'm really enjoying the game.....just having to play it in small doses

They really need to fix this

People should definitely play Lone Echo.)
    Would love to.
    Is this exclusive to Rift or does anybody know if it will make its way to PSVR?

RM
    RM is online now Member

So remember how some people (not posters here, but folks elsewhere on the web) said sports was going to be a part of VR's eventual success? Turns out it sucks at that more than it sucks at video games:

SPORTS IN VIRTUAL REALITY SOUNDS COOL, BUT CAN FEEL DISTANT

When watching sports in virtual reality, it's best to remind yourself that TV wasn't born in a day. Early television was mostly radio with pictures. It took years - even decades - for producers to figure out the right camera angles, graphics and instant replays to deliver.

Sports is going through a similar transformation. VR holds the promise of putting fans right in the middle of the sporting action - on the 50-yard line, say, or in a ringside seat, or standing behind the catcher as the umpire calls strikes.

But today's VR sports have an empty and distant feel to them. Watching through a headset sometimes feels like being there in the stadium ... by yourself, absent cheering fans, hot dogs and beer. And it doesn't get you close enough to the action to compensate.

For now, the zoom lenses of television cameras do a much better job of showing a pitcher's intensity or a free-throw shooter's concentration.

Yet Intel, NextVR and other companies are working to bring a variety of sports - boxing, golf, soccer, you name it - to VR. Major League Baseball has delivered a free game in VR every Tuesday (subject to blackouts of hometown teams); next week, it's the Colorado Rockies playing the Giants in San Francisco.

To enjoy it, it's best to think about what VR could be, rather than what it is now.

---

THE TROUBLE WITH VR

Start with some of the weird artifacts of VR. Many sporting productions don't actually give you a full 360-degree view, one of the main attractions of the medium. Instead, they often black out what's behind you. The reasoning is obvious - you're focused on the game and not other fans - but even television has cameras pointed at the stands.

Worse, VR camera placement is often downright odd. During the March Madness college basketball tournament, for instance, a coach or another camera operator would sometimes stand right in front of the VR camera, blocking the game play. The VR camera was also at floor level, which leaves you feeling as if you were watching while lying down by the court.

A VR camera in a baseball dugout should offer a unique perspective on the game - but in practice, what you often see are players' legs as they walk by. Any competent sports cameraman could have framed the shot better. (Intel Sports executive David Aufhauser says those blemishes add realism, much the way people can walk in front of you at a stadium.)

In Intel's baseball coverage, in fact, some of the best views come from a standard camera that captures the pitcher, batter and catcher in one shot. It's sequestered in a box within the virtual environment - which itself is sometimes just showing the catcher's back from behind home plate.

---

VR AS A SUPPLEMENT

Maybe it's best not to think of VR as a supplement to, rather than a replacement for, television.

Baseball does this well with its At Bat VR app , which requires a subscription starting at $87 for the season (discounted to $8 now that the season is almost over). Instead of VR video, you get a perspective from behind home plate, with graphical depictions of each pitch. A colored streak - red for strikes and green for balls - traces the ball's trajectory, using sensors in place at all major-league stadiums.

You're getting more information than you would with regular television, without missing out on what TV does best - the close-ups. The TV coverage appears on a virtual scoreboard in the outfield.

You need an Android phone and headset compatible with Google's Daydream system. The app isn't available on iPhones or Samsung Gear VR headsets, though Samsung's Galaxy S8 and Note 8 phones work with Daydream headsets. (On the flip side, Intel's baseball coverage works just on Gear VR with Samsung phones - not Daydream.)

---

WHAT'S TO COME

Some of what VR does really well comes in the form of highlight videos and player profiles. These are usually just a few minutes long.

And because these were produced during practice and other non-game settings, the VR camera can take you to more interesting locations. For a series on up-and-coming baseball players, one camera was just in front of second base, and another was in the bullpen during a pitcher's warmup. It feels as though you're getting access you wouldn't get on television or in person.

So why couldn't a VR camera show relief pitchers warming up during games, too? In an interview, Aufhauser says Major League Baseball and the individual teams will need to get more comfortable with VR before expanding camera access. For now, he says, producers look for other places that won't get in the way, such as the swimming pool near center field at Arizona's Chase Field or the tall "Green Monster" wall at Boston's Fenway Park.

And forget about placing cameras in the middle of the field. Instead, Intel has alternative technology that integrates footage from dozens of cameras surrounding the field to depict how a play would have looked to a player. Television networks are using this now to show as instant replays. Computers aren't powerful enough yet to do this live - but Aufhauser says that's the hope one day.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

james is offline Member

Read the book twice. Very excited to see how the movie plays out.

cuco33 is offline Banned

Am I the only one who feels like VR kind of just fizzled away? Buddy of mine jumped it about 1-2 months ago because of the rift deal but overall the industry doesn't seem to be all gung-ho vr like they were before

james is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
    Am I the only one who feels like VR kind of just fizzled away? Buddy of mine jumped it about 1-2 months ago because of the rift deal but overall the industry doesn't seem to be all gung-ho vr like they were before

Its still not mature enough, or cost effective for main-stream adoption. I don't see it disappearing, but it will be a slow burn until those two challenges are overcome.

https://www.outerplaces.com/science/...rlds-fair-nano

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

agreed VR isn't going anywhere

it will get more support and cheaper over time, which are the obvious speedbumps.
    i still won't be interested, however
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

RM
    RM is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
    It's done - people just haven't accepted it yet.

Microsoft sold a million Kinect units in 10 days when it launched, but it took Sony 9 months to sell that many PSVR units. Oculus and Vive have sold far less. People just weren't that excited for tech demos and shooting galleries. As cool as they are, racing and flight sims just don't have the kind of broad appeal needed to prop up a major line of hardware. Facebook losing the lawsuit against Bethesda was also a big arrow to VR's knee, given that Oculus was funding a lot of custom VR development. I doubt that will continue to happen after the giant financial loss.

If VR made FPS games better, maybe it would have been a different story. As it is, high end VR will quietly fade away until it's another carcass on the pile of dead novelty electronics. I'm sure cell phone bullshit VR will stick around for another 2-3 years simply by conning people into trying it out with low priced hardware. I was at Target last night looking at the Nintendo Switch with my daughter and behind us was the PC peripheral wall. There were 3 different VR headsets from companies I've never heard of before. That kind of stuff is like the cockroach of the retail world.

No surprise: PC gamers are still spending their money buying high end video cards and monitors. Turns out they still enjoy playing traditional games with nice frame rates on nice looking monitors. *fake surprised face*
    Last edited by RM; 09-22-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    PS4 - Because Cronie