Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Pyrochaos is offline Member

Default The Remastered Edition (AKA cash grab) Thread

Although some remasters are done well, and offer great value with improvement over the originals (Metro Redux, Halo MCC*, TLOU:R), other are just a cash grab:

http://www.thegamescabin.com/crikey-.../#.VaUr67WuomT

With Darksiders 2, Uncharted, Dishonored, Gears all getting remasters, what are your thoughts on remasters?

*MCC in it's current state after many MP fixes
    AOS Pyrochaos
    Pyrochaos
    Quote Originally Posted by WellInformed View Post
    Yes, X360 has technical advantages over the PS3. Bad code can still run on the X360. It can't run on the PS3.

cuco33 is offline Member

They are all cash grabs. But they provide gamers a means to play or replay a title. I dont mind them but they seem to be much more common these days, probably more than I would like
    Polished turd is still turd
    ~my PC has me by the webos~
    XBOX ONE X has brought a disturbance to the crony side

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

depends on the effort, i'd say
    TLOU:R, TR:DE, Halo:MCC, GoW3, and Gears:U are worthy of playing again with better graphics, maybe not for some of the prices.
    the others are just cash grabs (UC isn't out yet but will likely go into the first category).
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

Quote Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
    They are all cash grabs. But they provide gamers a means to play or replay a title. I dont mind them but they seem to be much more common these days, probably more than I would like
    I like the ones with value. I don't like when they just re-release a single game and want $40+ for it (God of War 3, Darksiders 2, Gears 1). The Uncharted Collection seems like a good deal. I'm much more willing to pay for a good deal than just a prettier version of a game I have already played.
    AOS Pyrochaos
    Pyrochaos
    Yes, X360 has technical advantages over the PS3. Bad code can still run on the X360. It can't run on the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by michealo View Post
    depends on the effort, i'd say
    TLOU:R, TRE, Halo:MCC, GoW3, and Gears:U are worthy of playing again with better graphics, maybe not for some of the prices.
    the others are just cash grabs (UC isn't out yet but will likely go into the first category).
    The only reason I would consider Gears 1 is because the MP is completely revamped. The original MP design was terrible, and matchmaking makes for a much better online experience.

But I am not into versus MP as I used to be, so I think I am going to pass on that one.
    AOS Pyrochaos
    Pyrochaos

I don't have a problem with re-masters. I buy a decent amount of them, especially if I haven't played the original and it was something I was interested in.
    I know a lot of people complain about them but obviously they are selling so companies will continue to bring them out until people stop buying.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

hdinred is online now Member

Prototype was actually a pretty fun game, although rough around the edges for sure. Never did play the sequel.

I've come to like remakes/remasters.. so far, I've got to finish 2 Halo games I never did in the day.. I'll be able to catch up with the Uncharted series.. Zelda Wind Waker is another one..
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Outside of the Uncharted collection, I'm done with day-one remaster purchases. I'm definitely waiting til they drop to sub $20 prices before purchasing another remaster. I think it's absurd that Sony's charging $40 for GoW3 and I have no intention of buying GoW UE until it's half price. $60 for Uncharted: ND Collection seems a fair price to me.
    Great quotes on the internet:

I hear Galaxy is brilliant, and it probably is. Just can't picture myself sitting down and playing it. That would take time away from watching the Disney Channel and working on my coloring book.
    Ryan Payton (MGS4 Associate Producer)

hdinred is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
    Outside of the Uncharted collection, I'm done with day-one remaster purchases. I'm definitely waiting til they drop to sub $20 prices before purchasing another remaster. I think it's absurd that Sony's charging $40 for GoW3 and I have no intention of buying GoW UE until it's half price. $60 for Uncharted: ND Collection seems a fair price to me.
    What about the Rare collection? I guess that isn't a remaster per say..
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    What about the Rare collection? I guess that isn't a remaster per say..
    That's just emulated ports. Also, the only RARE game I liked was Goldeneye on N64.
    Great quotes on the internet:

I hear Galaxy is brilliant, and it probably is. Just can't picture myself sitting down and playing it. That would take time away from watching the Disney Channel and working on my coloring book.
    Ryan Payton (MGS4 Associate Producer)

Quote Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
    Prototype was actually a pretty fun game, although rough around the edges for sure. Never did play the sequel.

I've come to like remakes/remasters.. so far, I've got to finish 2 Halo games I never did in the day.. I'll be able to catch up with the Uncharted series.. Zelda Wind Waker is another one..
    I was interested in the Prototype bundle that came out today until I saw the price. $50? Nope. I'll wait.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

RedRedSuit is offline Member

All in all, they're a good thing. If I haven't played it, fantastic (TLoU). If I have but a long time ago, fantastic (FF X/X-2). If I played it recently, then I don't need to buy it until it's $0 or ever (GoW III). They don't take significant development resources, so they don't hurt anyone. They're a good thing.

About the only danger I can think of is when a remaster is a bit too ambitious and takes real time away from a real team that should be working on new games. About the only example of that I can think of is Halo MCC, which was simultaneously partially redundant (remasters a remaster, Halo 1) yet far too ambitious at the same time. Did it delay Halo 5? Maybe. Maybe not. Uncharted would have been the same way, but since they're omitting multiplayer, it should be fine.

Straightforward remasters that do a good job, I have no problem with at all. No different from a nice Blu-Ray transfer of an older film.

Then again, sometimes a remaster is so ambitious, it's not a remaster at all. GTA V for example. The next-gen versions are more than remasters of a last-gen game. It is a next-gen game itself. It looks and plays perfectly great alongside original next-gen games and shouldn't even be considered a remaster. Obviously this is excellent; so excellent that I knew it was coming and didn't touch the sure-to-be-gimped last-gen versions with a 10-foot pole.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony

That's just emulated ports. Also, the only RARE game I liked was Goldeneye on N64.
    Conker was the best 3D platform besides Rayman 2 at the time. It got rid of the collect-a-thon design that Rare popularized. It had a great script, solid linear design, and looked great. Conker was, IMHO, the best platformer on the N64. Better than Mario 64.

Honeslty, I never saw what people saw in Goldeneye. It was a good game, but Quake 2 was better. Perfect Dark had a more fun MP mode too. Included the best Goldeneye levels and had more fun weapons. Poison knives would ruin you. RUIN YOU!

But, the collection looks to fix a lot of the problems with some ofthe original games. This isn't a simple "emulation" collection. If that were true, then it wouldn't be worth anyone's time to include something like Jet Force Gemini. The game barely ran at 15fps.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Onslaught X is offline Expert Industry Analyst

Some games are fine, some aren't. I don't think anyone was clamoring for a Prototype or Darksiders II remaster, but for games like Uncharted, Halo, Gears, etc, I have no problem with it.
    Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club

kyzer1978 is offline Member

I think maybe the psychology that drives us to purchase a remaster day one is along the lines of how PC gamers will continuously upgrade their rig when new video cards come out. There's just something about playing your favorite games smoother and prettier. Its all just going to depend on how much I loved the game.
    PSN and Live Gamertag: kyzer1978

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast