The Remastered Edition (AKA cash grab) Thread - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-14-2015, 11:39 AM

Default The Remastered Edition (AKA cash grab) Thread

Although some remasters are done well, and offer great value with improvement over the originals (Metro Redux, Halo MCC*, TLOU:R), other are just a cash grab:

http://www.thegamescabin.com/crikey-.../#.VaUr67WuomT

With Darksiders 2, Uncharted, Dishonored, Gears all getting remasters, what are your thoughts on remasters?

*MCC in it's current state after many MP fixes
Old 07-14-2015, 11:42 AM

They are all cash grabs. But they provide gamers a means to play or replay a title. I dont mind them but they seem to be much more common these days, probably more than I would like
Old 07-14-2015, 11:54 AM
Watcher of stances

depends on the effort, i'd say
TLOU:R, TR:DE, Halo:MCC, GoW3, and Gears:U are worthy of playing again with better graphics, maybe not for some of the prices.
the others are just cash grabs (UC isn't out yet but will likely go into the first category).
Old 07-14-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
They are all cash grabs. But they provide gamers a means to play or replay a title. I dont mind them but they seem to be much more common these days, probably more than I would like
I like the ones with value. I don't like when they just re-release a single game and want $40+ for it (God of War 3, Darksiders 2, Gears 1). The Uncharted Collection seems like a good deal. I'm much more willing to pay for a good deal than just a prettier version of a game I have already played.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
depends on the effort, i'd say
TLOU:R, TRE, Halo:MCC, GoW3, and Gears:U are worthy of playing again with better graphics, maybe not for some of the prices.
the others are just cash grabs (UC isn't out yet but will likely go into the first category).
The only reason I would consider Gears 1 is because the MP is completely revamped. The original MP design was terrible, and matchmaking makes for a much better online experience.

But I am not into versus MP as I used to be, so I think I am going to pass on that one.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:03 PM

I don't have a problem with re-masters. I buy a decent amount of them, especially if I haven't played the original and it was something I was interested in.
I know a lot of people complain about them but obviously they are selling so companies will continue to bring them out until people stop buying.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:06 PM

Prototype was actually a pretty fun game, although rough around the edges for sure. Never did play the sequel.

I've come to like remakes/remasters.. so far, I've got to finish 2 Halo games I never did in the day.. I'll be able to catch up with the Uncharted series.. Zelda Wind Waker is another one..
Old 07-14-2015, 12:11 PM

Outside of the Uncharted collection, I'm done with day-one remaster purchases. I'm definitely waiting til they drop to sub $20 prices before purchasing another remaster. I think it's absurd that Sony's charging $40 for GoW3 and I have no intention of buying GoW UE until it's half price. $60 for Uncharted: ND Collection seems a fair price to me.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
Outside of the Uncharted collection, I'm done with day-one remaster purchases. I'm definitely waiting til they drop to sub $20 prices before purchasing another remaster. I think it's absurd that Sony's charging $40 for GoW3 and I have no intention of buying GoW UE until it's half price. $60 for Uncharted: ND Collection seems a fair price to me.
What about the Rare collection? I guess that isn't a remaster per say..
Old 07-14-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
What about the Rare collection? I guess that isn't a remaster per say..
That's just emulated ports. Also, the only RARE game I liked was Goldeneye on N64.