Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RedRedSuit is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Okay, I know I'm four years late to the party, but I played a bit of The Last of Us for the first time tonight. I got up to the part where I'm now with Ellie, and this lady who I'm guessing is about to die.

Why do people dislike this game? So far, it feels like the Tomb Raider devs made a slightly less combat - heavy game with a much better story and dialogue. I'm not seeing how this is going to turn shitty...

Edit: played another hour and got through the office building and onto the roof. I see how some people might be annoyed that you can't blast your way through the clickers, but it still seems like a great stealth-action game.
    It's not my kind of game; I prefer action and despise zombies and action suspense.

But this game is not really known for people disliking it. I mean it's a huge hit on every level.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony

The book is drastically different from the film, but not much so in intent. Things are definitely changed. The film is far more philosophical and nuanced. As it's mainly focused on showing the lack of faith in this dystopian world.

I love There Will Be Blood, but it knew exactly what it wanted to do.

The Last of Us is just a poor man's Children of Men and doesn't even hit the same notes that it tries to. Like, it tries to, but the writers aren't as talented as Cuaron. So, these beats don't play out the intent I think they are striving for. I don't think they meant to craft a "dominating Male character." I think the idea was the ending was suppose to "save" him. It doesn't. It commits him to being a "master" and the girl his "slave."

I can't have the deep conversation I could as when the game came out because it's not as fresh in mind. I only remember the bits that really, really bothered me.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    But this game is not really known for people disliking it.
    We can create this new reality. A better world for all of us.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

DaveS1138 is online now Member

I only ever saw the movie of Children of Men but found it completely boring....vs Last of Us being one of the most compelling stories I have ever experienced in a video game to the point where I was completely emotionally drained at the end of it.....so kind of odd seeing them compared like that.
    PSN : DaveS1138
    The Definitive (tm) GT5 vs Forza 3 bet
    Vanquished I retreat from the field.....the victory is miDnIghtEr's
    Forza - Finally able to race at night and in the wet...just like GT3 did.....in 2001.....on the PS2

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
    I only ever saw the movie of Children of Men but found it completely boring....vs Last of Us being one of the most compelling stories I have ever experienced in a video game to the point where I was completely emotionally drained at the end of it.....so kind of odd seeing them compared like that.
    I have no idea why you found TLOU "compelling." I think it's because of zombies. They remove the hard questions of humanity and replaced it with zombies.

Secondly, I saw Children of Men in the theater during it's limited release. My jaw dropped and had my attention through the whole duration. The fact it looked like City 17, was just a plus, in my book.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

Interesting. Not having read that book, and having an appreciation for dominating characters, I think I'll like the story more than you did.

The way the trophies are setup, I'm just going to blow through this one and move on. I don't feel any urge to spend time replaying it for collectables.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Interesting. Not having read that book, and having an appreciation for dominating characters, I think I'll like the story more than you did.
    And power to ya. Still, I don't think you fully understand what I mean when I state "dominating" character. Which, once you complete the game, I think you might get it a bit more...even if you disagree. This isn't like Daniel Planview swallowing the world around him because of his superiority/monstrous desire to dominate. This is more about a man choosing the fate of another without consent.

If the sequel uses this as a point to it's narrative, it could be saved. However, as it stands right now...it destroys the narrative in my eyes. It murks the intent because it is intended to be a story of "salvation" but it's anything but. It's a descent into hell and without remorse. Made even worst because it's under the mask of "righteousness."

It's like Harlon Ellison hating the film, A Boy and his Dog, solely because of the last line in the film. I think it works given the era, but in relation to modern sensibilities? Ellison is correct. That last line solidifies it as trash cinema, and not something more. Even if the elements prior would have you think otherwise. A Boy and His Dog is something of a story about that undeniable bond. The last line just murks that POV because it rips you out of the sentiment and makes it more misogynistic.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

weasl is offline Member

The way the trophies are setup, I'm just going to blow through this one and move on. I don't feel any urge to spend time replaying it for collectables.
    It has one of the worst trophy setups ever.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

RM
    RM is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post

It has one of the worst trophy setups ever.
    I looked last night for the first time and I was baffled.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

weasl is offline Member

I looked last night for the first time and I was baffled.
    I've always been amazed at the mediocrity of the Uncharted trophies, but TLoU took it to a new low. You seriously need to play with a guide in order to get most of the trophies. I had all of 3 when I finished the game.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

RM
    RM is online now Member

I just got done playing through Trine again. While I didn't do everything (hardcore mode), I had a lot of fun replaying levels to knock out a bunch of them.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

RM
    RM is online now Member

I just picked up the Bioshock collection. This is the second game I will inevitably play on four platforms (360, PS3, PC, PS4).

I know I should be playing the newer games I have sitting on my hard drive, but I'm super excited to put the kids to bed and play an 11 year old game that I've played a hundred times already...

PS4 - Because Cronie

RedRedSuit is offline Member

I just picked up the Bioshock collection. This is the second game I will inevitably play on four platforms (360, PS3, PC, PS4).

I know I should be playing the newer games I have sitting on my hard drive, but I'm super excited to put the kids to bed and play an 11 year old game that I've played a hundred times already...

Though I kinda hate BioSock (it's a long story... and I have yet to play Infinite, which I have on PC and look forward to), I know the feeling of the bolded. I am that way with Uncharted 2 and used to be that way with FF7 (until maybe the 10th or so replay). It's like an old, frayed comfy blanket or something. Can always go back to it and always have a great time and also repeatedly point out (to oneself or others) this or that awesome specific thing it did.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

RM
    RM is online now Member

Infinite was like the best story focused adventure game ever. The story, writing, voice acting, art, presentation, etc. was amazing. Some scenes in the later part of the game were really touching.

As an action game, it was totally vapid. Without the gameplay hook of the big Daddy, or the tight quarters of an under water habitat, it had no identity. It had powers, but they were nearly useless because most of the enemies were so mobile. Guns were the most effective, but boring.

Very strange dichotomy with that one...

P.S. The DLC was great. You need to play both, but the first one is just a setup for the second.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234