Sony: PS4 dominates the EU, holds 70-90% marketshare. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 PM

Default Sony: PS4 dominates the EU, holds 70-90% marketshare.

Oh, so that's why MS needs Gamescom while Sony's skipping out and holding its own event in France:

Quote:
Letís talk about Call of Duty for a second, then. Thatís a real coup. Microsoft has held that partnership for a long time, I think from 2007 or 2008. When you say itís of huge significance for you, do you mean in terms of hearts and minds, or of revenue?

I think probably both. You canít have the latter without the former in the long run. Weíre working really well with Activision. We have a great partnership on Destiny, and that continues. Weíre not stopping with that. Call of Duty will obviously be available on a number of platforms, but having the partnership and the benefits that it offers to PlayStation gamers is something weíre very happy to be able to offer, particularly in the UK, where last time round we struggled. Weíre doing massively better now, but this will help us build on that.

How does the success youíre seeing in the UK translate to the rest of Europe? Do you see similar successes across the region?

We have a very significant market leadership. Well, we have market leadership in every country in Europe, and have very significant market leadership in continental Europe. Extremely significant. I donít think market shareís any less than 70%, and frequently greater than 90% in continental Europe.

OK.

Itís quite different in the UK and the US.

Wow. Thatís quite a good place for you to be. Are you feeling very comfortable with PS4 at the moment?

Yeah. I mean, days like yesterday make you realise you canít sit on your laurels and you can never relax. I thought Microsoft put on a very, very decent show. I thought there was a lot to commend in that. But weíve worked hard in Europe since the PS1 days. Itís difficult. Back in the day there were different currencies, different languages, different sales taxes, all of those things that non-Europeans find harder than we often realise, and we took the plunge and invested in infrastructure and distribution and partnerships, and those things take time. Now a lot of the emphasis is about building out into places like the Middle East, starting to build very significant businesses in places like Saudi Arabia, localising our system software and Store into Arabic, and building big, big businesses in these places.
http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/30/inte...ing-in-europe/

With 70-90% control of the marketshare, it's no wonder they're skipping Gamescom and doing their own thing during Paris Games Week (10/28-11/01), they've got enough breathing room in Europe to not have to attend.

Also, PGW doesn't seem to be as well-known as Gamescom, so it may also be a matter of its planners having offered Sony a deal to show up there instead (and establish a second major show in Europe).
Old 06-30-2015, 10:36 PM
Watcher of stances

70% in UK is higher than I'd expect
Makes me wonder how low wiiU share is

However, I think we're currently back to only NA matters
Old 06-30-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
Oh, so that's why MS needs Gamescom while Sony's skipping out and holding its own event in France:

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/30/inte...ing-in-europe/

With 70-90% control of the marketshare, it's no wonder they're skipping Gamescom and doing their own thing during Paris Games Week (10/28-11/01), they've got enough breathing room in Europe to not have to attend.

Also, PGW doesn't seem to be as well-known as Gamescom, so it may also be a matter of its planners having offered Sony a deal to show up there instead (and establish a second major show in Europe).
Yeah, Xbox is getting killed in mainland Europe.

But there is no logical reason for Sony to skip Gamescom, nor to spin it as a reasonable move.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post

However, I think we're currently back to only NA matters
That's the most sensible thing I have seen you say in a long time.

I don't care what some frogs leg eaters and people I can't understand are playing!
Old 06-30-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post

I don't care what some frogs leg eaters and people I can't understand are playing!
*insert Confederate Flag here*

Murica!

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Watcher of stances

Quote:

Can't say I agree with it, worldwide > any territory
Old 06-30-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
*insert Confederate Flag here*

Murica!

Oh and for Indy

Old 06-30-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
Yeah, Xbox is getting killed in mainland Europe.

But there is no logical reason for Sony to skip Gamescom, nor to spin it as a reasonable move.
There absolutely is. I explained as much in the OP.

Not to mention, Gamescom seems to have some BTS issues: RIOT is also skipping Gamescom this year.

It wouldn't be the first time Gamescom's had problems. Since Gamescom's more or less an offshoot of the Leipzig Games Convention, which it later replaced.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
There absolutely is. I explained as much in the OP.

Not to mention, Gamescom seems to have some BTS issues: RIOT is also skipping Gamescom this year.

It wouldn't be the first time Gamescom's had problems. Since Gamescom's more or less an offshoot of the Leipzig Games Convention, which it later replaced.
So Indy is all for arrogant Sony. They don't need to work for your money.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
*white trash eye candy*