Last time Game Industry was a 3 horse race? was it ever a 4 horse race? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM

Default Last time Game Industry was a 3 horse race? was it ever a 4 horse race?

I was reminiscing as to when the video game industry was a legitimate 3 horse race? and was it ever a 4 horse race?

I suppose this will mean something different to all; To me for example the Wii was never an option so to me the last time we had a 3 horse race was the 128bit era with the PS2, Xbox, and Nintendo GameCube.

Also IMO once again the last time we had a legitimate 4 pony race was the when we had the Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. I never considered the 3DO and Jaguar legitimate contenders, not because of their potential but because of their lack of acceptance.

Anyway, I look forward to reading everyones opinions.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosul210 View Post
128bit era with the PS2, Xbox, and Nintendo GameCube.
LOL... never heard it called that before.. not sure if that's technically accurate..

Quote:
Also IMO once again the last time we had a legitimate 4 pony race was the when we had the Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and GameCube.
Dreamcast was out of the picture when GCN/XBOX joined the race..

Quote:
Anyway, I look forward to reading everyones opinions.
There can only be 2 successful consoles at any given time. No more. No less.

Rule of Two
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
Dreamcast was out of the picture when GCN/XBOX joined the race..
Rule of Two
eh...like I said, this will mean something different to everyone. I was playing my Dreamcast more than my Xbox or PS2 while Dreamcast was still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
There can only be 2 successful consoles at any given time. No more. No less.
Rule of Two
What's funny is I rember when Wii sales would crush 360 and PS3 sales on a monthly basis. Of course this was long time ago and eventually the novelty wore off. Anyway, thanks for your input, I'm looking forward to reading how others remeber the industry.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Watcher of stances

There can be co-winners now, don't forget.

The wii-u will likely be outclassed fairly quickly.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
eh...like I said, this will mean something different to everyone. I was playing my Dreamcast more than my Xbox or PS2 while Dreamcast was still around.
That doesn't make sense in relation to your original question. You asked when have we had a four horse race, meaning four consoles all legitimately in competition with each other, then when presented with evidence there never has been you say you were still playing your Dreamcast at the time so there was. By that logic it's currently a 10 horse race for me as I still play stuff going back to the NES.

As HD said, by the time the Xbox and Gamecube came out, the DC was already discontinued and game releases were few, if any. There never has been a four way competition.

I think the only time there has been a honest three-way fight was last gen, and even that is probably disputable considering the PS2 blew the other two away.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM

Everytime something like this comes up, the sega dreamcast is tiresomely trotted out. DC is like HD DVD, people's nostalgia prop up their memories of how good something was beyond the actual appeal of the original item before it promptly died. DC was not the holy grail of gaming. It had a few fun titles and was mismanaged into obsolescence. We don't need to bring it up in every console discussion that goes beyond this gen.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
Everytime something like this comes up, the sega dreamcast is tiresomely trotted out. DC is like HD DVD, people's nostalgia prop up their memories of how good something was beyond the actual appeal of the original item before it promptly died. DC was not the holy grail of gaming. It had a few fun titles and was mismanaged into obsolescence. We don't need to bring it up in every console discussion that goes beyond this gen.
Back then I think the Dreamcast deserved every bit of praise it received... notice those first two words. Problem is, most people probably haven't played those games since then to find very few of them have held up well. The recent Jet Grind Radio HD release was a great example of this. Everyone was really excited at the announcement (myself included, though moreso for the hopes of getting the sequel), then the game comes out and the reaction was "Oh."
Old 02-02-2013, 04:33 PM

Both of you are wrong and you should feel bad for being so wrong.

I still love my Dreamcast, and yes... JGR/JSR is absolute horse piss since the lack of a second stick makes it handle like shit - BUT, everything else on that console is magnificent. I love playing Berserk: Guts' Rage, Powerstone, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, literally every 2D fighter on it, Soul Calibur, PSO, hell... Blue Stinger sucks but that first impression was amazeballs.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
Both of you are wrong and you should feel bad for being so wrong.

I still love my Dreamcast, and yes... JGR/JSR is absolute horse piss since the lack of a second stick makes it handle like shit - BUT, everything else on that console is magnificent. I love playing Berserk: Guts' Rage, Powerstone, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, literally every 2D fighter on it, Soul Calibur, PSO, hell... Blue Stinger sucks but that first impression was amazeballs.
I'm piggybacking off this...

JSR is exactly how I remember it. But, I still prefer JSR Future. The Steam version os JSR even allows image uploads. Which, was an awesome feature of the original. Basically, you could upload a jpeg and use that as your tags.

A lot of the charm of the DC is the fact it was what the Xbox would later be. It basically paved the way to Online Gaming in the console world. In fact, it was better handled than the PS2's shitty attempt at it.

Seganet was pretty awesome. Also, most people don't realize how community based it was. Not owning one during the timeframe sort of makes one not know about it. I love sharing saves, levels, and being able to mod my DC. It also featured the first usage of Console DLC. It was free.

It didn't have a lot of time to make it's point, but it hit the ground running. Unlike a few other systems at the time. The DC had AAA title after title. It was a good time to be an owner of that system. So, I kinda don't understand why people insist on comparing 2007 to 2000. Or, even comparing 2000 to 2003. The internet and technology changed so fast that I think perspective constantly gets lost in the debates over the validity of an subject. When I debate films, one cannot really disagree that things have gotten better on a tech, or even in narrative shorthand perspective. Though, overall structure is something that I'm not a fan of in the modern age. A film in 2012 is "technically" better made that a film from 1950. Editing has improved. The science of audio and design has improved. Cameras have gotten smaller, allowed for more mobile staging. It just has gotten better, and the classics - Citizen Kane, M, and even Lawrence of Arabia - all show their age in several ways. Doesn't make them any less good, so long as the viewers is capable of allowing that perspective in. Which, I think might come easier for films, than games. But, for me it's all the same.

It was my portal into the realm of IIRC chat and how I was able to get my translations of Berserk during my early days of High School. I still play and own games for my DC. It still features my preferred versions of Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code Veronica. Which, had the awesome precursor to the WiiU. It showed your health on screen without having to go into the menu. It was a small...but very AWESOME thing.

The Dreamcast was awesome because it was ahead of it's time. It offered a more accurate view into modern gaming than it's competitor. Everything the DC did in it's short two years would be expanded upon by MS and now Nintendo. That's a pretty cool thing to look back to and see the early footprints of. It's actually the reason I got back into PC gaming. After the console died, I bought a PS2 - mainly for the abortion known as MGS2 - and was unhappy with it. It had a couple of game I obviously wanted, but it felt like a step back instead of forward, which is the opposite of how I felt about the DC. So, I primarily only used my PS2 for a select few games - GTAIII, Twisted Metal Black, Mark of Kri, Tekken, Onimusha and Suikoden. My main focus was the PC and my intro into the wonderful world of Valve. Sure, the PS2 had the library...but the DC had the ideas.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 02-02-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
I love playing Berserk: Guts' Rage, Powerstone, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, literally every 2D fighter on it, Soul Calibur, PSO, hell... Blue Stinger sucks but that first impression was amazeballs.
You may like them but that doesn't make them good. The fighters you mentioned were awesome and Sonic Adventture was okay at best but everything else was pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
It didn't have a lot of time to make it's point, but it hit the ground running. Unlike a few other systems at the time. The DC had AAA title after title. It was a good time to be an owner of that system.

The Dreamcast was awesome because it was ahead of it's time. It offered a more accurate view into modern gaming than it's competitor. Everything the DC did in it's short two years would be expanded upon by MS and now Nintendo. That's a pretty cool thing to look back to and see the early footprints of.
I don't disagree with any of that. The DC was great at that time and should be fondly remembered but, people act like it's still this amazing thing when most of its library hasn't aged well. Compared to other systems which have held up better such as the NES, SNES, and PS1 and it falls a bit flat now. Basically, what Sega was trying to do with the system is still impressive, the games not so much.