rumor:comcast and verizon turn 360 into cable box - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-19-2011, 04:34 PM

Default rumor:comcast and verizon turn 360 into cable box

http://kotaku.com/5841841/rumor-xbox...e-box-imminent

Rumor: Xbox as Comcast, Verizon Cable Box Imminent

Rumor: Xbox as Comcast, Verizon Cable Box Imminent Microsoft has been saying for months, for years, that they're in talks with folks at cable companies about using the Xbox 360 as a cable box, but Digiday reports today that the company is close to signing deals with Comcast and Verizon.

Citing multiple sources, digital media site Digiday reports that Microsoft is exploring a parnership with Comcast and Verizon Fios. According to one source, the Comcast and Verizon Xbox deals are "imminent," Digiday reports.

If an agreement is reached Xbox 360-owning customers would be able to subscribe to Comcast or Fios TV packages directly through their consoles without the need to install a set-top box. The deal could also lead to expanded services, programming guides and more targeted advertising.

The story also reports that separately, Microsoft is reaching out to television makers to incorporate the console in some televisions.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 PM

I'm have a hard time believing that Verizon and Comcast are just going to give up $10-$15 that they charge for a box "rental" every month. There must be some way they are going to charge people that do this.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 PM

I don't see this happening, at least here in the states...
Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Watcher of stances

Why not quote the whole article?

This isn't as excited as portrayed.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 AM

it may be enough of an insensitive for the cable companies to try to keep their subscriptions up. Uverse was the first to use xbox in the use and honestly it isn't much of to write home about.

Be curious to see how they implement this.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Unfortunately I'm stuck with Time Warner (who's owned by Comcast, correct?) so if this can save me some money on the monthly cable box rental, I'll use it.

The more I read on how TV is coming to the 360, the more I face palm. It's nothing special or terribly exciting really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
it may be enough of an insensitive for the cable companies to try to keep their subscriptions up. Uverse was the first to use xbox in the use and honestly it isn't much of to write home about.

Be curious to see how they implement this.
Do you know how good or bad it works on the xbox? I had U-verse where I previously lived and loved the internet service, but there was no option to use it on the xbox back then.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 AM

It would be cool to use the upcoming dash voice search to find TV shows and movies on cable.

But ultimately, I want to get rid of the cable company and the 90% of channels I donít care about.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:01 PM

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but... if you used the Xbox for cable AND games and the Xbox broke, you would really be out of luck. Lots of janitors would be forced to drink and get wife beater T-shirts on. Too risky.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but... if you used the Xbox for cable AND games and the Xbox broke, you would really be out of luck. Lots of janitors would be forced to drink and get wife beater T-shirts on. Too risky.
Oh the humanity!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KageMaru View Post
Do you know how good or bad it works on the xbox? I had U-verse where I previously lived and loved the internet service, but there was no option to use it on the xbox back then.
I never bought the package, it was $100 for a cd to install the software and a xbox remote. The problem with u-verse on xbox was it was streaming only, live tv had no ff or rw, it think it would only surf channels if one of the 4 streams the DVR uses was free. in other words if no one else was watching and/or recording on the other tvs.

I asked the guy who did our instillation if they would be fixing the software to transfer recordings to the xbox and ff and rw live tv, he said no. That was how it was supposed to work, everything streams from the main DVR.

U-verse has a good channel line up and is kind of innovative in its own way, but honestly I would rather FIOS (not available in our area) or go back to cable when our contract is up.

I'd rather have independent DVRs in each room over a main hub. But the big problem we have is audio drop outs. It used to be all 5.1 audio had drop out issues, after some equipment swap outs and firmware updates it is 2.0 sound that has the problem. Which is frustrating. I just don't feel like calling them back again.