Microsoft admits all 360's are faulty - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-12-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Microsoft admits all 360's are faulty

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CII...&src=site-marq

Quote:
Software giant admits there are 11.6 million faulty consoles, which it will have to fix.

Microsoft has admitted that every one of the 11.6 million Xbox 360 consoles sold in the past 19 months suffers from a design flaw that could cause the device to fail.

The firm will extend the warranty coverage from one to three years to compensate consumers, but does not plan to instate a recall or exchange programme.

Microsoft gaming chief Robbie Bach claimed in a conference call with financial analysts that the design issues surfaced recently.

"In the past couple of months we started to see significant increases in repair requests and call requests and significant attention from people," he said.

Microsoft did not disclose the exact nature of the problems, but said that it had made the necessary design changes and that units currently in stock will be upgraded.

The extended warranty period is limited to hardware failures indicated by three flashing red lights on the console. Users of consoles suffering from such problems are entitled to free repairs and shipping.

Microsoft estimated that the repairs will cost the company US$1.05bn to US$1.15bn, spilt evenly between the higher than expected return rates for existing consoles under the one-year warranty, and future returns under the extended warranty period.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:48 PM

Well, that's one way to phraze it in a very negative spin kind of way.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion View Post
They didn't have to do anything, but they stepped up and did the write thing. I didn't see it come to the point of arm twisting from anyone, it went from 3 months to a year, to 3 years.

M$ did the right thing, period, some things you can't catch in testing. I'll bet someone is getting corporately executed though.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:04 PM

Man I was wrong. Instead of 33% failure rate, Microsoft admitted its pretty much 100%. Your xbox 360 will eventually get a RRoD. Here is my revised image of RRoD Roulette. Its not much of a roulette game ...need a new analogy.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Ahh how refreshing to see a Balian post hidden because he's on ignore

Sounds like they've finally fixed the problem. Looks like those waiting until buying a 360 until the problem was fixed can pick one up pretty soon.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
Ahh how refreshing to see a Balian post hidden because he's on ignore

Sounds like they've finally fixed the problem. Looks like those waiting until buying a 360 until the problem was fixed can pick one up pretty soon.
Some people choose to face the truth. Others like you choose to ignore it. So be it.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Banned

Just pathetic....

No one twisted MS's arm? Try the media blitz surrounding all of this.

MS was forced to do this, or they would have lost what little market share they have.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
They didn't have to do anything, but they stepped up and did the write thing. I didn't see it come to the point of arm twisting from anyone, it went from 3 months to a year, to 3 years.

M$ did the right thing, period, some things you can't catch in testing. I'll bet someone is getting corporately executed though.
It was either the warranty increase are have a judge make them recall ALL units for a refit in a class action lawsuit. That would have costed WAY more than $1 billion.

So, don't go sucking MS's d--k just yet. I'm just saying...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellInformed View Post
It was either the warranty increase are have a judge make them recall ALL units for a refit in a class action lawsuit. That would have costed WAY more than $1 billion.

So, don't go sucking MS's d--k just yet. I'm just saying...
Yeah Xbox fan boys are delusional. If Microsoft didn't do anything, there would of been a total recall. I am not sure Microsoft is out of the woods yet ...there still might be a recall. A 3 year extended warranty is not good enough for a 100% defective product.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:24 PM

Look another thread on the same thing...aw and look most of the usual suspects posting...there are several posters missing, I'm sure they'll be along shortly.