Fracture maxes out PS3 & 360. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-12-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Fracture maxes out PS3 & 360.

I was watching G4's E3 footage tonight and they interviewed the president of Day 1 Studios (the ones who came up with Fear and Mechassault). They were discussing a game called Fracture that was coming out to both PS3 and XBox 360. He said that the game pushed both systems to their limits. I thought that was kinda interesting since Sony has been boasting over the last year that because of the extra space on a Blu-ray disk compared to DVD that the PS3 would be able to produce games that are far superior to the 360's. Seems that if the head of Day one Studios is correct in saying the game maxed out both systems, then Sony's big Blu-ray advantage means zip. Wish I had a link but couldn't find much on the game online. Every one is too busy talking about Halo 3, Killzone 2, and the new Mario game for the Wii.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:57 AM

I've heard those words before.

The fact is that if a game is designed for both PS3 & 360 it will never make the most out of either system because of their big differences.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 AM

He apparently has a misconception of the advantages of Blu-ray. What Blu-ray offers is more capacity, not a graphical performance advantage ...when it comes to game console performances.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarakoMeshi View Post
I've heard those words before.

The fact is that if a game is designed for both PS3 & 360 it will never make the most out of either system because of their big differences.
And BD offers nothing from a coding standpoint other than storage. The worst that happens for the 360 is that a game ships on multiple discs (ala the 3 disc Blue Dragon). The most use we've seen of the vast storage difference is lazy compression from developers. The only area it shines in is audio.

A nuisance, but not a deal breaker for either system.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian View Post
He apparently has a misconception of the advantages of Blu-ray. What Blu-ray offers is more capacity, not a graphical performance advantage.
Well, higher capacity can offer higher graphical variety but I think the real advantage would be the HDD, since it allow more graphical detail in streaming worlds that are limited by disc-read speed.

Quote:
because of the extra space on a Blu-ray disk compared to DVD that the PS3 would be able to produce games that are far superior to the 360's.
Its a misinterpretation of these words. Blu-ray disk allows for larger games with more varied graphics & levels, not a superior performance.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well, higher capacity can offer higher graphical variety but I think the real advantage would be the HDD, since it allow more graphical detail in streaming worlds that are limited by disc-read speed.
But the limits of the PS3s power are well under the benefit of the extra storage space.

It will have more to do with gaming with the next crop of consoles...right now it seems like over-kill.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
But the limits of the PS3s power are well under the benefit of the extra storage space.

It will have more to do with gaming with the next crop of consoles...right now it seems like over-kill.
Not necessarily. If you're familiar with programming I'm sure you'll be familiar with the concept of tradeoff between space and performance.

An example I can think of off the top of my head is, instead of doing realtime daytime lighting or weather effects, storing a level with textures & geometry in dozens of different precalculated forms, so to change time of day you just stream in a modified version of the level versus realtime computations. This can save processor and GPU time and RAM.

An easy example we should all know is MPEG2 versus VC-1. VC-1 takes less disc space but takes 2 to 3 times more power to decode than MPEG2.

Basically with freedom of more disc space you can find ways to remove load from the CPU, GPU or RAM.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not necessarily. If you're familiar with programming I'm sure you'll be familiar with the concept of tradeoff between space and performance.

An example I can think of off the top of my head is, instead of doing realtime daytime lighting or weather effects, storing a level with textures & geometry in dozens of different precalculated forms, so to change time of day you just stream in a modified version of the level versus realtime computations. This can save processor and GPU time and RAM.

An easy example we should all know is MPEG2 versus VC-1. VC-1 takes less disc space but takes 2 to 3 times more power to decode than MPEG2.

Basically with freedom of more disc space you can find ways to remove load from the CPU, GPU or RAM.
But what PS3 games take advantage of this? Oblivion, maybe? I just dont see it as a deal breaker for either system. Plus, can't you achieve similar results by using the HDD?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 11 View Post
But what PS3 games take advantage of this? Oblivion, maybe? I just dont see it as a deal breaker for either system. Plus, can't you achieve similar results by using the HDD?
No, you can't achieve the same with HDD. HDD is about how fast you can read data. Disc size is about how much you can split between real-time and pre-calculated data.

If your game is big enough to fill DVD9 then you are limited from doing more space-vs-time optimization tricks without more space right?

If the game is splittable you can get away with multiple discs. This is more applicable to RPGs where you can only go forwards not backwards. But what if its a game like Gears of War, and as you switch from one map to another it asks you to swap discs. Or a really big RPG where you can move from one area of the world to another quickly and every time you do that, swap discs. That would suck right?

Consider that compared to PS2&Xbox, PS3&360 are HD. You'll want to keep your FMV in HD right? So its going to take a lot more space than older games, and before most games didn't have to be split on 2 or more discs. Most games are not made like that.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
No, you can't achieve the same with HDD. HDD is about how fast you can read data. Disc size is about how much you can split between real-time and pre-calculated data.

If your game is big enough to fill DVD9 then you are limited from doing more space-vs-time optimization tricks without more space right?

If the game is splittable you can get away with multiple discs. This is more applicable to RPGs where you can only go forwards not backwards. But what if its a game like Gears of War, and as you switch from one map to another it asks you to swap discs. Or a really big RPG where you can move from one area of the world to another quickly and every time you do that, swap discs. That would suck right?
Depends on how often it asks you to swap. FFVII was 3 discs and the swapping didnt bug me at all. I believe (and correct me if Im wrong as I havent played it since 2001) that you could go back to old areas, but you didn't have to swap discs because the redundant data was limited to the disc it originally appeared on, meaning that disc 3 would allow me to use the airship to go back to earlier areas that originally appeared on disc 1, but disc 3 didnt contain disc 1 specific FMV, plot points and trigger events that already occured because you already experienced it.

I believe thats how Blue Dragon works, as well (but Im too lazy to look up the review that specifies how the disc changing is handled).

Anyways, Im more asking then telling. So dont read my tone as being " I know everything".