Sony's firmware update for 3D games does exactly what your non-firmware PS3 could... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Default Sony's firmware update for 3D games does exactly what your non-firmware PS3 could...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/23/p...quire-upscali/

Quote:
It was only a couple of days ago that Sony flicked the switch on 3D compatibility for the PS3 -- albeit without retail games that can yet exploit it -- so what better time to dig into the nitty gritty details of the company's implementation of the third dimension? Digital Foundry have done just that, starting off with a discussion of how Sony translated WipEout HD from 2D into 3D. Noting that the original version ran at 1080p, Sony's senior development manager Simon Benson explains that notching resolution down to 720p opened up some pixel processing overhead (one 1080p stream requires nearly 2.1 million pixels, whereas a duo of 720p images is around 1.85 million in total), while reducing the refresh rate to 30Hz allowed the devs the breathing room to complete the extra geometric calculations required by 3D. That's certainly not the 1080p video at 100Hz per eye that we were hearing about at IDF last year, but at least it shows that games that haven't been coded for 3D can be translated, albeit at more demure settings.

In the case of Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, the game already ran at a 720p / 30fps clip, so the solution was to generate it at a lower resolution and to use hardware upscaling and a few optimizations to make 3D work. Lest you think the transition was all bad news on the graphical immersion front, the SCEE devs also mention that quite a few field-of-view and motion-illustrating effects could simply be disabled in 3D, as in that mode "you get [them] for free." Of course, we're still only talking about retrofitting 3D, and Sony's big hope is that developers will code for the new format right from the start, resulting in visually richer and technically more efficient implementations. Hit the source for more.
In other words, firmware 3.30 did NOTHING (outside of the trophy addition) to your PS3. Why? Down-sampling game resolutions and frame/refresh rates and then displaying those downscaled images twice to produce a stereoscopic effect? Done before.

Granted Avatar and Invincible Tiger both lacked upscaled images on PS3, but still... the apparently awesome 3D-upgraded firmware update that we got? Does nothing.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post

In other words, firmware 3.30 did NOTHING (outside of the trophy addition) to your PS3. Why? Down-sampling game resolutions and frame/refresh rates and then displaying those downscaled images twice to produce a stereoscopic effect? Done before.

Granted Avatar and Invincible Tiger both lacked upscaled images on PS3, but still... the apparently awesome 3D-upgraded firmware update that we got? Does nothing.

Cool, so to do 3d, sony is going to lower the resolution of its games? Is Remedy helping with this? )
Old 04-23-2010, 03:08 PM

Pretty much as expected for me. You've got to do twice as much rendering for 3D, so something had to give somewhere. Maybe next gen or the one after that consoles will have the power to make this less than an ugly gimmicky mess. Even then I wouldn't want to need a pair of glasses just to hang with a friend who was playing games, without getting a headache. Sorry, but I'd rather have the higher sharpness and detail of a HD picture..
Old 04-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Default Blitz: '3D Has Jumped PS3 To Next Generation'

well some think that this 'small thing" will be actually huge for ps3. but no loyal x360 fan will accept it.

Quote:
In an interview with NowGamer, Blitz CTO and co-founder Andrew Oliver explains why the recent PS3 '3D ready' firmware update has advanced the console into the next generation.
We announced yesterday that Sony's forthcoming firmware update would make the console compatible with the company's new line of 3D Bravia televisions. Good news for those with lots of spare cash to spend on a telly, not so good for the rest of us.
"The mass market consumers now think 3D is really cool" explains Oliver, "the 3DTVs are appearing in the shops, Hollywood is releasing 3D movies every month and the current generation of consoles are already capable of 3D. In my opinion all developers should be putting 3D options in their games, but sadly I donít think this is the case as yet. It takes a long time to write games and if the games industry isnít careful itís missing a golden opportunity to take their games to the next level."
ďIn my opinion all developers should be putting 3D options in their games.Ē
With 3D quick becoming the new black, Nintendo is also jumping on the bandwagon with its 3DS console, due to be detailed at this year's E3.
However, Oliver explains why he thinks Sony is already leading the pack, "I think Sony giving all PS3 users an update to make the PS3 3D capable, free of charge and mid-console cycle is fantastic. Itís a reward for those who have bought the PS3 and a reason to buy one for those who havenít. It makes it feel like the console has jumped into the next generation."
Oliver continues, "But now Sony has made every PS3 3D capable, there will be a catalogue of 3D movies and games available, giving the TV manufacturers a market for the 3DTVs. Itís kicked started the move from HDTV to 3DTV as the next major purchase, which will ultimately give people a better entertainment experience."
Click through to read the full NowGamer interview with Andrew Oliver.
Sony has always positioned PS3 as a media hub, with a desire to lead the field in console connectivity and multimedia options. If implemented correctly, 3D could just be the golden ticket it needs to draw fans away from Xbox 360.
Is 3D truly the way forward for the industry or is it just a gimmick? Answers below readers.
http://ps3.nowgamer.com/news/3018/bl...ext-generation
Old 04-23-2010, 03:50 PM

I was hoping gaming picture quality wouldn't have to be reduced because I thought games were rendered in 3D anyway and only output in 2D. I guess that's not the case.

I'll take increased picture quality over 3D any day.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 PM

BBC, go make your own thread! or did you use your limit already today?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Thats the method we have been expecting anyways. At least me and others I know. Nothing new here.

I dont get the title though. Is it saying that we cant view our games in 3D with this firmware yet or that the method is useless?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo-Proxy View Post
Thats the method we have been expecting anyways. At least me and others I know. Nothing new here.

I dont get the title though. Is it saying that we cant view our games in 3D with this firmware yet or that the method is useless?
I don't know how you could misinterpret a simple title. The firmware update does NOTHING, your non-updated PS3 could do 3D like this, so the "3D update" didn't do jack.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I don't know how you could misinterpret a simple title. The firmware update does NOTHING, your non-updated PS3 could do 3D like this, so the "3D update" didn't do jack.
What did we expect? Add magic to the hardware? Increase the specs? A firmware can only add features based on the available hardware. If the hardware was capable at producing 3D with some method at some point you will see it enabled. Havent we already known that?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Actually, that's not accurate. You also have a new bitstreaming option, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I was hoping gaming picture quality wouldn't have to be reduced because I thought games were rendered in 3D anyway and only output in 2D. I guess that's not the case.

I'll take increased picture quality over 3D any day.
It's like being able to do Alan Wake in 3D on the PS3 at that lower resolution or just in 2D at that same resolution on the X360. If you had a choice of 540p in 3D or 540p in 2D, which would you choose?