Xbox Scorpio Specs - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-08-2017, 07:42 AM

Still unsure why 399 is seen as viable, unless we think MS is back to lose-money-for-a-moral-victory mode again (which, don't get me wrong, I would never discount -- MS has always liked to crush their opponents with their money -- but what would be the point at this late stage?). Pro is a damned good deal for 399, and that's significantly weaker than Scorpio, sand UHD drive, and will have only been out a year. If MS can do Scorpio economically for 399, then Sony can do Pro for 249 and PS4 for, what, 149?
Old 04-08-2017, 07:49 AM

Yeah, this thing screams $499.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Yeah, this thing screams $499.
I'm going to predict something lower. Even if it's $459 or an odd number like that to keep a little distance from $500.

This product is more important for Xbox than Pro is for PlayStation. Sony just kind of put out Pro last year as another PS4 option without much fanfare. And their attention was split, like their Taco Bell promotion they've done with new hardware was with PSVR, not Pro.

We've seen Microsoft put a lot of marketing muscle behind things (like Kinect) and it seems to pay off. I imagine they'll almost treat it like a new console launch.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:13 PM

They are absolutely going to pretend this is a new console generation. But Xbox One WAS a new console generation, and they weren't willing to take a big loss to lower the price. Doesn't mean they won't this time, of course; back then they were in success mode up to that point unlike now.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:22 PM
HDD Contributor

I think they'll have to take a hit on the price if they want any kind of traction. $500 at this stage in the generation for a console hampered by needing games to be playable on an Xbox One is going to be niche. It would make more sense to price it at $500 if they announce at E3 there will be Scorpio exclusives that won't be limited by Xbox One compatibility requirements, or, at the very least, have content, graphics, and features that won't be available to Xbox One players.

If this new console really is a next generation console, it needs to show next generation games. It can't do that--and be priced at that level--if it's still beholden to the Xbox One. So yeah, I figure even if it costs them, they'll take the hit and try to keep it as close to $400 as they can. $500 is essentially DOA.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I think they'll have to take a hit on the price if they want any kind of traction. $500 at this stage in the generation for a console hampered by needing games to be playable on an Xbox One is going to be niche. It would make more sense to price it at $500 if they announce at E3 there will be Scorpio exclusives that won't be limited by Xbox One compatibility requirements, or, at the very least, have content, graphics, and features that won't be available to Xbox One players.

If this new console really is a next generation console, it needs to show next generation games. It can't do that--and be priced at that level--if it's still beholden to the Xbox One. So yeah, I figure even if it costs them, they'll take the hit and try to keep it as close to $400 as they can. $500 is essentially DOA.
I think this is probably right. There's sort of a timing issue here. If they want Scorpio to be sort of exclusive to the (likely small) population of xbots that either will buy a new SKU because they always buy the latest and best SKU, or can't wait to have the xbox that's more powerful than the playstation etc, then around $500 is okay -- and I'd expect it to have a really limited reach. I don't know why MS would waste their time on that to be totally honest, so I suspect they have other intentions for it.

The issue is, this is really late in the generation to be dropping $500 on the newest Xbone SKU, it doesn't make any real sense. So I don't really understand how it fits in to the overall picture of this generation if it releases at that ~$500 pricepoint, even though it's nice hardware.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:30 PM

It's going to be $399.99.

If it's any higher than that - I will ban myself.

Spoiler
Or maybe not.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
The issue is, this is really late in the generation to be dropping $500 on the newest Xbone SKU, it doesn't make any real sense. So I don't really understand how it fits in to the overall picture of this generation if it releases at that ~$500 pricepoint, even though it's nice hardware.
It makes perfect sense if we're done with the typical 5-6 year console cycle. If we've now moved to the tablet/phone style regular hardware update cycle, this is perfectly logical.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:12 PM

CD would pay $599 for the Scorpio and say it's a BARGAIN
Old 04-08-2017, 07:52 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
It makes perfect sense if we're done with the typical 5-6 year console cycle. If we've now moved to the tablet/phone style regular hardware update cycle, this is perfectly logical.
That's where things get interesting. We could see a pretty uncomfortable transitional period if Sony decides not to play along and makes their next major hardware announcement a traditional one of a PlayStation 5.

That means that Microsoft will either a) be stuck with a Scorpio machine that is severely hamstrung in terms of performance with having to have even its exclusives like the next Halo or Gears game still be compatible with Xbox One, while the PS5 gets a monstrous performance boost and its first party studios can crank out PS5-centric exclusives without having to worry about whether it can run on a Pro.

Or b) announce that Scorpio will be getting its own exclusives that won't run with an Xbox One, but they still won't look as good as multi-platform games running on the PS5, and won't look as good as PS5 exclusives.

But if Sony plays along and releases a PS4 Pro+, then we just keep seeing these incremental upgrades for the next several years, and, like phones, it becomes a matter of you choosing when you feel like you're lagging behind on tech and finally want to upgrade.