Will Sony change their NEO/PS4K plans because of Scorpio? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Will Sony change their NEO/PS4K plans because of Scorpio?
No, as is with the rumored specs. 8 61.54%
Yes, they’ll tinker to bring it closer to the 5.5 TF RX480. 4 30.77%
Yes, they’ll scrap NEO altogether and go big! 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
You are, shit changes all damn time in the game industry. If it's not out or announced it's subject to change. It's one thing to go backwards, but giving developers more power tends to not be something they complain about.. More since they're probably already pushing the console beyond what it can do.
I'd imagine changing hardware specs after you've already chosen a configuration and sent out dev kits is pretty rare, but not impossible. The clock speeds that leaked aren't some random numbers either, they likely arrived at those numbers after extensive testing for performance balance and yields.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
Project Scorpio

8 Cores
6 TFlops
"Over" 320GB/s memory bandwidth
4K/VR Gaming
BC and forward compatible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WnLvk3wIIk

PS4K / NEO

~> 4TFlops
8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU - Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/...specs-revealed
They are definitely changing them, the weird non-unveiling unveiling with House talking about it without having anything to show said all that had to be said.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:13 AM

Interesting Scorpio/NEO thoughts from Digital Foundry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
Where does this leave PlayStation 4K Neo?

It's a remarkable turnabout. A good portion of PlayStation 4's success has been down to its spec advantage over Xbox One, combined with a focus on the hardcore player. Sony's technological advantage will be gone with the next wave of hardware - we already know that it cannot support true 4K resolution on cutting-edge games, because we've seen the internal documents that outline Sony's upscaling strategies for 4K display support (more on that soon). It's also unfeasible for Sony to produce a radically revised Neo - the silicon has been designed, developer kits have gone out. Matching Scorpio would require scrapping Neo's existing processor completely.

Just about the only option available to Sony is the route Microsoft chose for Xbox One in the face of PS4's higher specification - overclocking the processor. It could inch the Neo a little closer to the target Scorpio spec, but hitting 6TF there is off the table: Sony would need a 40 CU Polaris 10 clocked at 1.2GHz to hit the same level. And that wouldn't address the 100GB/s bandwidth deficit or the 4GB memory gap we suspect will separate Neo and Scorpio.

But there is an elephant in the room here: price. Microsoft's brief to AMD in producing this behemoth of a semi-custom design looks pretty obvious - to create the most powerful console possible. The GPU is more powerful and it's going to be larger, which means it's going to be more expensive to produce. Meanwhile, assuming we're right about the 4GB of additional memory, that's not going to be cheap either - when we attended AMD's Munich launch event for Fury X and the Radeon 300 series, we were told that adding an additional 4GB of GDDR5 to the R9 390/390X cost around them around $30 per unit. In short, we would not be surprised to see Scorpio cost significantly more than Neo - maybe even $100 more.

But there's certainly going to be pressure on Sony here - particularly as its next console is targeted at the hardcore player, who wants the very best. If Neo launches this year, it'll have a healthy headstart over Scorpio. However, if we're looking at a March 2017 launch, many may consider until Scorpio appears - especially as the new hardware stands to deliver a tangibly more impressive technological upgrade over the established PlayStation 4.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-spec-analysis
Old 06-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Watcher of stances

i'm very curious on what neo/scorpion will be priced at.
is the market ready to mass adopt a $599 console, it certainly wasn't many years ago.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
i'm very curious on what neo/scorpion will be priced at.
is the market ready to mass adopt a $599 console, it certainly wasn't many years ago.
It's not ready to adopt a main unit at that price, but a "premium" unit? Maybe.
I think they are really pulling a page from Apple and going with the whole, well, we have 2-3 models and you can go low range, mid, or high but they all run the same software and OS.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
June 13th will be a day long remembered. It will see the death of your spec advantage, and will soon see the end of the PlayStation fanboy.
Lol, at your signature. You have been in this game long enough to know that spec advantages are transient and fanboys aren't going anywhere. I applaud MS for appearing to return to the philosphy that made me loyal to their brand originally, though.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Lol, at your signature. You have been in this game long enough to know that spec advantages are transient and fanboys aren't going anywhere. I applaud MS for appearing to return to the philosphy that made me loyal to their brand originally, though.
Just meant to be fun in a smackdown sort of way.. But seriously, start repenting now and we might let you back in when Scorpio is released.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:44 PM

No they will go as is. They are ahead and can afford to take the wait and see approach.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
No they will go as is. They are ahead and can afford to take the wait and see approach.
Umm.. they are making the first move and are ahead of MS on the upgrade path.. not exactly "the wait and see approach"
Old 06-15-2016, 12:05 PM

Seemed odd that they said it wouldn't be shown at E3. When I saw you guys talking about the Scorpio specs, it made sense. Sounds like they got some intel ahead of time and are going back to the drawing board again to bump the specs up further if they can. While specs aren't everything, I would imagine most of the testing that's being done is on the software side, and not so much the hardware. I would also imagine if they are launching this holiday, they'll be starting manufacturing around August/September? That would mean they need the specs finalized by late July or early August, so they've got time if they are retooling.

Exciting stuff from both camps. I wish the PC had this much competition.