Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality - Page 541 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-14-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
How is quest compared to PSVR, in terms of game quality?
The biggest issue for the Quest is it running off a mobile processor. What it does it does incredibly well but you don't get the biggest game experiences that PSVR or PCVR can offer because of the limitations of the hardware. You wouldn't get something like Borderlands 2 VR or Skyrim VR running on the Quest for example. Last nigh me and a friend were celebrating PSVR's 3 year anniversary with a great game of Battlezone......I'm not even sure that would run on the Quest although I think it probably could.

But at the same time I find myself playing the Quest much more often than my PSVR just because of the ease of use and no wires holding you back makes such a massive difference. For a game like Superhot or Beat Saber the Quest version is imo the definitive version just because of the freedom the Quest gives you. I tried Beat Saber on PSVR a few weeks back and actually rage quit the game because I was getting so distracted by the wire keep hitting me in the back as I played. Which doesn't seem like it would be a big deal but when you are used to the freedom of the Quest.......

And the Quest will be getting those bigger titles very soon thanks to Oculus Link giving it access to the entire PCVR library.....although at the cost of going back to a tethered headset. I'm kind of curious to see how big a deal that is for me My Rift always had the problem that I had it set up around my racing rig which stopped it being useful for any standing games. If Oculus Link works well I can retire the Rift completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
I'd love to see the next Xbox do something similar with Quest.
I don't see any reason why they couldn't. Since at that point you are just streaming to the headset you should be able to stream from any powerful enough console too. It would be awesome if they could
Old 10-14-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
The biggest issue for the Quest is it running off a mobile processor. What it does it does incredibly well but you don't get the biggest game experiences that PSVR or PCVR can offer because of the limitations of the hardware. You wouldn't get something like Borderlands 2 VR or Skyrim VR running on the Quest for example. Last nigh me and a friend were celebrating PSVR's 3 year anniversary with a great game of Battlezone......I'm not even sure that would run on the Quest although I think it probably could.

But at the same time I find myself playing the Quest much more often than my PSVR just because of the ease of use and no wires holding you back makes such a massive difference. For a game like Superhot or Beat Saber the Quest version is imo the definitive version just because of the freedom the Quest gives you. I tried Beat Saber on PSVR a few weeks back and actually rage quit the game because I was getting so distracted by the wire keep hitting me in the back as I played. Which doesn't seem like it would be a big deal but when you are used to the freedom of the Quest.......

And the Quest will be getting those bigger titles very soon thanks to Oculus Link giving it access to the entire PCVR library.....although at the cost of going back to a tethered headset. I'm kind of curious to see how big a deal that is for me My Rift always had the problem that I had it set up around my racing rig which stopped it being useful for any standing games. If Oculus Link works well I can retire the Rift completely

I don't see any reason why they couldn't. Since at that point you are just streaming to the headset you should be able to stream from any powerful enough console too. It would be awesome if they could
Thx for the recap.. might grab one if I can snag a holiday deal.. I really like the wireless part.. might be smart to wait for the next revision though..
Old 10-15-2019, 04:11 PM
HDD Contributor

It does feel like the future of VR needs to go wireless. But then that was always one of the end goals. It'll be interesting to see the next generation of headsets in 2-3 years when they can combine power with more comfort while wearing them.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:22 PM

Borderlands 2 comes out on PC VR today. One of the very best titles on any VR system imo.
Although it still lacks co-op.
A feature that even the PlayStation Vita was capable of.