Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality - Page 534 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-09-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I actually had the opposite feeling from giving it a shot, but that could just be due to the camera placement. I had some super severe tracking issues with this one, which really surprised me.

The game was always able to detect my swing, so that was good. But what really threw was it would lose the position of where the golf club actually was, and then weirdly default some strange point, as if the golf club were attached to my waist or my chest, so even though the swing was accurate, the actual position of the club was totally wrong. I tried a few rounds like that and decided, "Unless I readjust my camera or something, this game is unplayable for me using VR swinging, I'd be better off sticking to traditional controls I want decent results."
That's a shame. It was rock solid for me.

Sony do need to do something to address the issues with tracking on these controllers. Obviously it's never going to be as good as the Rift or Vive with external sensors but they are way too affected by camera positioning, room lighting and reflections etc. Just a side effect of using a visible camera but it needs to be better.

I used to play PSVR only sitting down with my camera below my TV and the AIM controller tracked perfectly but the move controllers were always a little off.....now with games like Beat Saber, Creed and Borderlands I'm playing standing up most of the time and moved the camera to above my TV. I have to point it down a fair bit since I'm only about 7 feet from the camera but now the move controllers work perfectly but I almost always get drift with the AIM controller.

It's just frustrating that I can't seem to find a setup that works with everything. Especially since i then put on my rift and the controllers are absolutely rock solid.....and everything I've heard from the Quest is that unless you have the controller right next to your face it's going to be the same when I get that

Last edited by DaveS1138; 05-09-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
Oh Sweeeet. Now I can pull a Badger and just pretend that I won all along
Winning is easy; hustle 24/7
Old 05-15-2019, 02:30 PM

I do this thing in Astro Bot where the in game controller starts pointing the wrong way, so I hide it behind my back, then bring it out again. Usually itís fixed.

So annoying.

Finished that game BTW. Awesome for all ages. Kids love it.

Itís interesting itís a 9+ game. Innovative and very sharply designed. But itís fairly straightforward compared to the Mario games which are just huge. Or like Ratchet.

The sequel is going to be sweet. Can you imagine how crazy inventive they can get if this was the first go at it?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:31 PM

Also now tackling Tetris Effect, which despite the name is less puzzle and more rhythm. Itís hard to explain... but itís hypnotic and musical.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 PM

Less than a week until I get my Quest and finally get to meet Darth Vader in VR

I keep seeing the displays in Best Buys but they don't have them set up to demo at all which is just stupid. Set that up with the Beat Saber demo running and watch them fly of the shelf.

Speaking of Beat Saber Oculus is allowing developers to choose if their game will be cross buy between the Rift and Oculus and disappointingly Beat Saber, Superhot and Moss have all decided to stiff the customer again and make people buy it twice. Even worse with Beat Saber it's getting a price raise just as it releases on the Quest. Cheap move

Speaking of Superhot it's on sale for $17.50 on PSN this week. Damn good game
Old 05-16-2019, 02:13 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Also now tackling Tetris Effect, which despite the name is less puzzle and more rhythm. Itís hard to explain... but itís hypnotic and musical.
It is apparently also easier to play in VR, because the headset doesn't have the same lag in response times as HDTVs. There was an interesting video where a Tetris champion tried the game first conventionally, and then in VR, and his success rate went up noticeably in the VR session. He attributed it to "snappier response."
Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 PM

Along those lines one of my most glorious realizations was how much better I was at AC7 in VR vs 2D. And Iím already pretty damned good. I even own in multiplayer quite a bit.

But the point is VR is so perfect for it. Whereas 2D is only an imitation.

Last edited by RedRedSuit; 05-16-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:31 AM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Along those lines one of my most glorious realizations was how much better I was at AC7 in VR vs 2D. And Iím already pretty damned good. I even own in multiplayer quite a bit.

But the point is VR is so perfect for it. Whereas 2D is only an imitation.
It's kind of crazy just how much of a difference better spatial awareness + "head on a swivel" can make to the way some games are played. I get what you mean about Ace Combat, but even the way you play WipeOut changes a lot when you can look around, or even twist your head to get a better look at the upcoming road.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:25 PM

It makes a massive difference in racing games. Just to be able to look into the corner as you turn in makes judging the best line through the corner so much easier.

But it also a game like Battlezone where I can just quickly turn my head to see if there are enemies to my left or right. It makes everything much better
Old 05-21-2019, 02:08 PM

Yeah......... so the Oculus Quest is amazing and I just spent the last hour meeting Vader
Could not be happier

edit : I wasnít expecting the screen to be that much better than the Rift but itís actually a very noticeable difference. The screen door effect is much less noticeable and the God rays are almost completely gone.

After a a bunch of use today the ease of use is just amazing. You really just pop it on your head and youíre in another world. Vs the issues Ive had more often than I would like with the more clunkyness of the Rift and usb issues with the sensors and drift issues with the PSVR camera. this just feels like a massive leap forward in VR. You just put it on your head and you are ready to go. And itís so freeing not being tied to my PC or PS4 with my other headsets. Brought it down to the living room to show my daughter. Iím going to be taking it to a friends house tomorrow to show off. The only setup required is about 30 seconds to set up the new guardian boundary system.

And holy crap do 3D movies look amazing on this . Iíve spent the last couple of weeks converting all my 3D blu rays to the right format and they are again noticeably better than they were on the Rift and worlds better than the PSVR. The increase in resolution makes for a really cinematic experience. and since it has Netflix and YouTube right out of the gate this is the movie watching system youíve been looking for Red.

this really does feel like a game changer. Iím really hoping itís a success.

Last edited by DaveS1138; 05-21-2019 at 07:36 PM.