Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality - Page 533 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-30-2019, 01:38 PM

Mark Zuckerberg also just announced the release date for the Oculus Quest and Oculus Rift S.
Pre-orders are available from today and will ship on May 21st.

Getting my order for the Quest in now
Old 04-30-2019, 01:52 PM

The Vive Pro is still $1400, so $1000 is...better...?
Old 04-30-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
The Vive Pro is still $1400, so $1000 is...better...?
True. And the Knuckle controllers look amazing I would pay a premium for that.

But in a world where you can get a completely standalone experience with the Quest for $400. Or a higher end VR experience if you don't mind being tethered to a PC with the Rift S for $400. Or the PSVR for $300.......That's quite a step up for a granted better experience but its the old console vs PC debate again.....you are paying a hefty premium.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:35 AM

Sony have two new PSVR bundles coming in May.

$350 will get you a PSVR, camera, two move controllers along with Blood and Truth and Everybody's Golf VR.

or $300 will get you a PSVR, camera, along with Trover saves the Universe and Five Nights at Freddies VR.

Although if anybody is thinking of picking up a bundle I think the current bundle with Borderlands VR and Beat Saber is still the best offering
Old 05-08-2019, 07:19 PM

So I got the Star Wars VR demo for $5.

Predictably, it's mind-blowing to be flying an X-Wing. And it looks amazing, mostly. (Negative points for TIE Fighters looking like plastic models when they blow up near you.)

In terms of gameplay, it's very loose and kind of slow-feeling. A far cry from the tight, insanely tactile feel of Ace Combat 7 VR, where it feels like the plane is just an extension of your body (despite also being huge). The lack of freedom, having to stay within a small area (sort of like old Ass Creeds) is a bit lame too, but then it's just a proof of concept demo, not a demo from a real game.

Interesting demo. If they made a game that was just like the demo, it'd probable be a 6/10 albeit a pretty 6/10.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:27 PM

There is a fun little student project X-Wing game available on Rift and Vive. It feels cheap, clunky and buggy but it's also just a student project so what do you expect. Had a lot of fun with it for 30 mins before getting frustrated at the impossibility of the trench run on the Death Star.

It's just mindbogglingly annoying to get yet another taste of how amazing an X-Wing game could be if EA would just get off their asses and make one. If this guy can knock this together in a couple of weeks just imagine what EA could make if they tried. Seriously.....how the hell have EA messed the star wars licence in general and a VR X-Wing game specifically so freekin badly.

The project was actually part of a study into VR nausea which I'm glad to say hasn't been an issue for me for a long time but if you play the game please take a minute to fill out the survey.

anyway.....video somebody made to give you a taste of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhzP9waqdNg a link to download the game is in the description of the video. Make sure you download the latest version from the website as there are a couple of older versions on there too.

Last edited by DaveS1138; 05-09-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:30 PM

Also just FYI for anybody with PSVR there is a demo of Everybody's Golf VR on the store now. I was actually very impressed with just how well it plays. It makes the Golf feel incredibly natural

It's suddenly gone to a day one purchase for me. Releases in 2 weeks I think.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
page not found
Old 05-09-2019, 12:46 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
Also just FYI for anybody with PSVR there is a demo of Everybody's Golf VR on the store now. I was actually very impressed with just how well it plays. It makes the Golf feel incredibly natural

It's suddenly gone to a day one purchase for me. Releases in 2 weeks I think.
I actually had the opposite feeling from giving it a shot, but that could just be due to the camera placement. I had some super severe tracking issues with this one, which really surprised me.

The game was always able to detect my swing, so that was good. But what really threw was it would lose the position of where the golf club actually was, and then weirdly default some strange point, as if the golf club were attached to my waist or my chest, so even though the swing was accurate, the actual position of the club was totally wrong. I tried a few rounds like that and decided, "Unless I readjust my camera or something, this game is unplayable for me using VR swinging, I'd be better off sticking to traditional controls I want decent results."
Old 05-09-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
page not found
Oh Sweeeet. Now I can pull a Badger and just pretend that I won all along