Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality - Page 532 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-05-2019, 04:53 PM

If this is actually a serious product, and not an April Fool's gag, that picture is going to be the punch line of VR jokes for years to come.

My God... As a Product Manager, I would have never let something like that escape the whiteboard.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
If this is actually a serious product, and not an April Fool's gag, that picture is going to be the punch line of VR jokes for years to come.

My God... As a Product Manager, I would have never let something like that escape the whiteboard.
its very real. Itís been available on PC for a while. They only recently licensed it with Sony.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I see plenty of people online who are just binary posters - good/bad, love/hate, wrong/right, etc. They don't seem to have a brain, or they're just incapable of articulating their opinion well. But it's rare to see someone who obviously is smart, passionate, takes time to think about things, but still feels their uninformed opinion is equal - or even superior - to lived experience. I see this stuff and I'm standing here with a frumpled brow and a confused smile, like "Am I really reading this correctly...?"
Thank god. Felt like I was taking crazy pills.
Attached Thumbnails
Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality-ef6a579a-16eb-4577-ab3a-7b56c3a4131e.gif  
Old 04-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
SMH. This is classic. Like, listen, you're an all right dude. I like talking to you, usually. You have a brain and can entertain logical arguments and see clear-cut idiocy too. But you are sooooooooo arrogant. It's actually funny. Someone, who you know has actual taste -- doesn't mean you agree with them all the time or whatever, but they have taste, can tell quality from mindless collect-a-thons -- says, yes, it's true, they've done this and that, but, listen, I have been through their entire backlog basically, and much of it is design by committee collect-a-thons, but this game is ultimately different (it really is... it's so much more of an RPG anything before Origins)... you don't have to believe me, but if you haven't at least given it a reasonable chance (NOT THAT I AM ASKING YOU TO, just saying GIVEN THAT FACT) then you can't possibly dismiss it as false... it's different; they hit something and delivered a very good story and a truly compelling game.

Your answer? Naw, man, you just like shitty collect-a-thons; it's OK; I just want them all to die; but you're entitled to like these things; it's OK; just don't pretend it's not that thing even though you've actually gone through it and thought about it and found differently.

Like, OK, dude. Whatever. You know me better than I know myself, and you're always right, and that favorite line of yours is about to come out about how you're always right, and in the end that always ends up being the case, eventually, haha.

I know what you're thinking, "U MAD." No, I assure you; not mad. I am literally amused at the depth and entrenchment of your arrogance. I would normally just keep it to myself (I would bet quite a few people on here, even friends of yours, have had similar thoughts, many times), but given the context here it seemed fine to share this vaguely personal take. Because, you know, what's gonna happen?
These are matters of opinion...we aren't arguing over an actual fact or anything. It's an emotional reaction to a video game that we seem to be combating over. By it's very nature this is silly and these paragraphs/replies when read in time passing will be hilarious. I'm kinda laughing now but it's ridiculous that 30+ year olds are arguing over whether a best selling game is or isn't a collect-a-thon and why it matters on how I see it.

Anyway, nothing I've seen or read has changed my opinion on the Assassin Creed series. It's a collect a thon series of games. That's the schtick. It's like Mario being a platformer. That's the genre. They might have conjured a narrative that makes it worthwhile...but the core of the game is still the same. A lot of people complain that it's TOO MUCH. Ubisoft hasn't changed the formula they just add to it. Sure, in this instance, it might be more enticing to long time players...but for those of us that gave up on Ass 2, probably not.

I don't care if you like it. I just don't like the dismissal of what something is. Don't try and tell me Assassin Creed Odyssey is anything more than just another Assassin's Creed game. It isn't. If you didn't like the formula before, you're not going to suddenly like it now. Obviously, you like it. Which is fine. I don't actually care. I just don't understand how people can continually digest the same series and gameplay over and over and over again. The formula has always been boring to me. Fan favorites like Ass 2 is something I couldn't even play for more than 2 hours. That's my last attempt.

My general point was in disregarding this as a reason for having Half Life being subjected to this every other year nonsense. As what makes Half Life special to me, is its lack of entries and drive to just be another cash cow. Valve cares more about the "integrity" of the series as whole than just dumping something out. I respect that. Even if it means I wait decades between releases. It reminds me of something Tarantino said about caring about his filmography and why he'll stop making films after this tenth. Sure, Valve probably isn't thinking of things in the same head space. However, Gabe has said something similar to Half Life and the structure of Valve.

So, if you think my point is just dismissing Ass Creed, then I believe I failed in my words. As, that's not what drove me to respond. What drove me to respond is the idea that somehow Half Life would be better served by the Ubisoft approach to releases. Which, I strongly disagree with.

P.S.

How long does it take to collect them all? Thatís only a segment of the map, right? Iím failing my own argument now because Iíve took the bait on going back to whether itís a collect-a-thon or not. Itís just this image speaks so loudly.

Who cares if it is? Itís my reason for dismissing it, and your reason for playing it. Obviously, you have not qualms with it. Great! I just fail to understand how you can tell me thatís not a collect-a-thon.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 04-22-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:30 PM

Yeah, no, itís pointless. Just like the 11-years-in-a-decade discussion was pointless. If straightforward points arranged in a straight line make no difference, not even a perfunctory nod to the possibility of a difference, then itís just a one-way exchange anyway. Even in that last post of yours you clearly ignore specific information I have given you several times, right here, about me as it relates to the game AND the series - and you STILL tell me whatís what and whatís driving me to like a particular game, or how I apparently feel about the series. If youíre correct, then literally Iím lying. Just like I said, you know me better than I know myself, in your mind. I predicted you might say something along those lines - and then you actually did, without irony. Itís so blatanty idiotic, no discussion could possibly progress from that point. Itís not a discussion in good faith. Let alone the actual discussion of the specific game, taking the people involved out of it.

At least I can see this is clear to people other than me. Thatís nice.

Last edited by RedRedSuit; 04-22-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Yeah, no, itís pointless. Just like the 11-years-in-a-decade discussion was pointless. If straightforward points arranged in a straight line make no difference, not even a perfunctory nod to the possibility of a difference, then itís just a one-way exchange anyway. Even in that last post of yours you clearly ignore specific information I have given you several times, right here, about me as it relates to the game AND the series - and you STILL tell me whatís what and whatís driving me to like a particular game, or how I apparently feel about the series. If youíre correct, then literally Iím lying. Just like I said, you know me better than I know myself, in your mind. I predicted you might say something along those lines - and then you actually did, without irony. Itís so blatanty idiotic, no discussion could possibly progress from that point. Itís not a discussion in good faith. Let alone the actual discussion of the specific game, taking the people involved out of it.

At least I can see this is clear to people other than me. Thatís nice.
Well, for one, I choose to not respond to certain tidbits because they aren't worth responding to. I don't try to go personal. It's not a valid method and it's honestly beneath me.

I ignore it because it doesn't align with reviews nor impressions that I've seen or read online. You seem emotionally attached to this game, and I find that unnerving. Especially since you seem dead set on focusing on Odyssey and my opinion of it. Which, shouldn't matter or take away from the actual reason of my response. I strongly disagree that Valve should adopt the Ubisoft approach to game design. Remember, this was my original point that seems to have gotten perverted by this silly idea that your personal experience with a game should convince me that something is what it isn't. I'd have to hold an opinion as valid. Which, in this case, I don't. It's in opposition to countless other places.

I remember once that reviews were a good metric on determining a game. I chose to ignore them and instead play what I was interested in. I still do for the most part, but the time on which I have has shrunk. So, I can't be as all encompassing as I once was. Still, I remember when I could use those metrics and not be considered "arrogant." Now, I guess the pole has moved and I should take personal experiences into account? I think my ability to shift through valuable information has served me well most of my life. I don't think my foundations will be shaken to the core if I choose to not acknowledge Odyssey as a non-collect-a-thon game.

I don't like Ubisoft. They make incredibly uninteresting games to me, and I rather not see a multitude of middling games just to get to one that's "good." To me, that's throw darts at the board to see what sticks type of approach. Unfortunately, doing that in a public space can lead to exhaustion.

I might suggest to you to not get so emotional on a video game.

*pats you on the back*

It's okay that I don't like Assassin's Creed or Ubisoft. You'll continue to live and laugh. And, I'll continue to be okay if you don't agree with my opinion of Valve not being them. Trust me, I'm fine.

P.S.

Actually, I do get called arrogant a lot. Most of the time it's because of people's silly personal attachments to things. This idea that movies, games or whatever is somehow a personal identity is absurd to me. If I criticize a movie, game, or whatever...I'm not criticizing you. I constantly have to remind that to people and I'm starting to feel I have to remind you.

Don't go down this road. This isn't serious. These are video games.

But, please, let us refrain from character profiles. I actually try to stay on topic. Which, is Assassin's Creed...not how you or I engage the world.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 04-23-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Well, for one, I choose to not respond to certain tidbits because they aren't worth responding to. I don't try to go personal. It's not a valid method and it's honestly beneath me.
Itís NOT beneath you. You literally told me why I like a certain game (directly contradicting what I said about that), and you even told me how I feel about the series (directly contradicting what I said about that). Itís not beneath you; itís just that when you make those personal-related statements, you ALSO ignore what the person said. Itís worst of both worlds. Like I said, you know me better than I know myself.

Fuck off.

And before you re-up the ďemotionalĒ troll, I assure you - again, as I did at the very start (as the ďlolyouremotional!!!1!Ē troll could be seen a mile away) - that emotion has nothing to do with it. Youíre not discussing in good faith. Youíre simply an arrogant asshole, when it comes to this stuff. Itís really that simple. Emotion has nothing to do with it. Thereís your personal profile. Maybe in real life youíre not, nor do I know nor care, but online thatís you. Itís not ALL you are, but itís a major part. And thatís just true.

Thereís no ďroadĒ to go ďdown.Ē The above is pretty much a dead end.

Of course I would not say any such thing when this was an active forum, and rules mattered. But now that itís a small handful of people talking, I donít care. In old days, Iíd do exactly what I always did: provide evidence, with links and quotes, explain what I mean, show you where youíre off, etc. Itís no longer worth the time however, because Iím not speaking to someone with an eye for detail and an mind open to what the other person is offering. Plus, youíre a dick. So itís pointless.

Last edited by RedRedSuit; 04-23-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:39 PM

Star Wars Battlefront is $5 in the US PS+ sale until April 30th.
It's worth that just for the X-Wing VR Experience
Old 04-26-2019, 09:50 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
Star Wars Battlefront is $5 in the US PS+ sale until April 30th.
It's worth that just for the X-Wing VR Experience
$5 for the X-Wing demo is totally worth it.

Hopefully now that Disney is starting up LucasFilm Games again, this means they might actually try to do something with X-Wing. I can't believe we've had VR for a couple of years now and that concept has STILL been lying fallow all this time. That's basically walking away from easy money at this point, it's not like they even need to create a new campaign from the ground up, just remaster X-Wing and TIE-Fighter. If you build it, they will come.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:20 PM

Valve have released more information on their Valve Index VR system.

Pre-orders will be available tomorrow with the system releasing in June.

The full bundle will cost $999 for which you get the headset, two Knuckle controllers and two 2.0 tracking stations.
You can get just the headset for $499

They really need to bring that price down

They also announced there will be a "flagship game" releasing in 2019.......so Half Life 3

They recommend a GTX 1070 or better but say a GTX 970 or RX480 will work as a minimum.