Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality - Page 503 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-13-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
On the Sony side, they're closing in on 90 million PS4s sold, and they just passed 3 million PSVR. I'm sure someone will try to spin that into a non-failure, but are we really expecting another version of PSVR for the PS5 in 2021?
I'm absolutely expecting another version of PSVR for PS5.

How many units of a $500 (at launch, now $350) accessory were you expecting them to sell exactly? They also announced they have sold 22 million titles.

As for Facebook killing the Rift 2......They simply switched their plans to the Oculs Quest. Personally I think a $400 completely stand alone VR experience sounds like a great idea. I love my Rift but having to have a ludicrously high end PC just to run it and being manacled to the PC by wire are two major limitations VR has to overcome. The Quest to me is exactly the direction VR needs to be heading in.

and.......It will have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqPWwz0yFkE So yeah......just take my money now

Last edited by DaveS1138; 11-13-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
Oh man. If only that wasn't the only game coming to VR in the next few months...
The light saber rhythm game comment was meant to be standalone, not really used as evidence of the success or lack thereof of VR. I don't have any idea what else is coming out for VR in the next few months -- this seems seriously niche/quiet to me still and starting to fade away as time goes on, but that may just be me ignoring the space and not seeing much discussion about it here.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
Disclaimer - Michealo's assertion that he hasn't tried PSVR yet is true, from a certain point of view. He has played it extensively, in a 96 hour immersion session, so that has moved far beyond the "try" period.
I've still never used PSVR either. BOOM - a CD prediction fail!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
The light saber rhythm game comment was meant to be standalone, not really used as evidence of the success or lack thereof of VR.
I know. I was just taking a cheap shot

Quote:
I don't have any idea what else is coming out for VR in the next few months -- this seems seriously niche/quiet to me still and starting to fade away as time goes on, but that may just be me ignoring the space and not seeing much discussion about it here.
It's certainly still niche. But I wasn't expecting anything else at this point. I don't see 3 million units sold as a failure....it's easy to knock it compared to a 90 million install base for PS4 but this is an accessory that at launch was $500.....more expensive than the console it required to run.....I can't think of another accessory that's $500 to compare it to but I would be surprised to see one that sold in those numbers.

As for not much discussion here.....if that's the criteria to judge things on then the entire of console gaming is dead We're averaging like one post a week at the moment

I still think the biggest hurdle VR has to overcome is getting people into the headsets to try it out. People that I have shown it to have been incredibly positive after trying it.....you have to let people feel it for themselves, you can't just try to explain it to people or show them an advert. You don't get what it adds to gaming until you feel it for yourself.....although I think you said you had tried Oculus so apparently not you

Price of entry has been a major hurdle too but that is coming down rapidly. For Black Friday you are going to be able to pick up a full PSVR bundle (headset, camera, move controllers and two games) for $250. Oculus have the Go down to $200 and early next year will have the Quest as a full standalone unit for $400. You have Valve getting into the market too.....so I don't think it's starting to fade away yet.

There are so many great titles already that offer experiences you just can't get with boring "flat" games.

Skyrim VR
Firewall Zero Hour
The Persistence
Farpoint
Superhot VR
Resident Evil Biohazard
Astro Bot
Arizona Sunshine
Dirt Rally
Sparc
Thumper
Eve Valkyrie
Star Trek Bridge Crew
BattleZone
Rush of Blood
Doom VFR
Moss
Statik
Wipeout
Apex Construct
Pixel Ripped

and that's just me browsing my collection

anybody can point at any one game and say that looks crap to me, not the sort of thing I'm interested in at all.....I'm just showing that the library is large, growing and diverse.

Last edited by DaveS1138; 11-14-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I know. I was just taking a cheap shot

It's certainly still niche. But I wasn't expecting anything else at this point. I don't see 3 million units sold as a failure....it's easy to knock it compared to a 90 million install base for PS4 but this is an accessory that at launch was $500.....more expensive than the console it required to run.....I can't think of another accessory that's $500 to compare it to but I would be surprised to see one that sold in those numbers.

As for not much discussion here.....if that's the criteria to judge things on then the entire of console gaming is dead We're averaging like one post a week at the moment

I still think the biggest hurdle VR has to overcome is getting people into the headsets to try it out. People that I have shown it to have been incredibly positive after trying it.....you have to let people feel it for themselves, you can't just try to explain it to people or show them an advert. You don't get what it adds to gaming until you feel it for yourself.....although I think you said you had tried Oculus so apparently not you
All fair, and you're right that I did try Oculus. I wanted to label it purely a gimmick, but I did really enjoy the experience. My problem was, I thought of it really as an experience -- I enjoyed but tired of it after 20 minutes or so and kept asking others if they wanted to take over. Maybe a Skyrim or Elite Dangerous would be something I'd be down to spend more time in, but I don't really want to waive at stuff or stand - so I'd want to sit and go the controller route. Setting up virtual space with floor sensors etc isn't me - so that's a no-go.

I think that, in the end, it was very cool but not relaxing and I didn't see myself opting to put the headbucket on very often, so I didn't end up adopting the tech. At least for me, that was definitely the right choice for now (until the tech advances); I know you're really enjoying it, but it'd most certainly be a $400 dust collection in my home office at this point.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
All fair, and you're right that I did try Oculus. I wanted to label it purely a gimmick, but I did really enjoy the experience. My problem was, I thought of it really as an experience -- I enjoyed but tired of it after 20 minutes or so and kept asking others if they wanted to take over. Maybe a Skyrim or Elite Dangerous would be something I'd be down to spend more time in, but I don't really want to waive at stuff or stand - so I'd want to sit and go the controller route. Setting up virtual space with floor sensors etc isn't me - so that's a no-go.

I think that, in the end, it was very cool but not relaxing and I didn't see myself opting to put the headbucket on very often, so I didn't end up adopting the tech. At least for me, that was definitely the right choice for now (until the tech advances); I know you're really enjoying it, but it'd most certainly be a $400 dust collection in my home office at this point.
Completely agree that I don't want to stand or wave things around, especially the standing. That still feels incredibly uncomfortable for me when I'm wearing a headset and cant see where I am in the room. The waggle isn't so bad in the Oculus where at least the controllers are accurate and you do feel that you are pointing at something....the move controllers on PSVR just feel like cheap toys compared to that and don't have the accuracy required to work properly. I'm hoping Sony release a Move 2 with better tracking and thumb sticks on the controllers. It would solve most of the issues they have.
The AIM controller is fantastic though. There is nothing like lifting something that feels like a real gun to your face to look down the sights in VR....That's just fantastic immersion.

Another improvement for the Oculus Quest is the removal of the room sensors. I'm curious how well it will work in real life....The videos I've seen of it being demoed are always in rooms that have very high contrast patches placed on the walls and floor to make it easier for the cameras to work out the space...but if they can get that working correctly in a typical room that is another major hurdle for VR solved

Also.....how the hell have I not tried Elite Dangerous in VR yet ????? Fun little project for the weekend
Old 11-16-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Also.....how the hell have I not tried Elite Dangerous in VR yet ????? Fun little project for the weekend
Do it! When I was playing that game, a buddy was doing the same but with Oculus and was blown away
Old 11-16-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Do it! When I was playing that game, a buddy was doing the same but with Oculus and was blown away
Are you sure he was playing Elite Dangerous? There are some "other" types of games for VR too.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:08 PM
Watcher of stances

so there's a PSVR in my house now.......and i tried it.
my wife played beat saber at a friends house last week and found out there is a 'be the batman' game, she was sold.

overall, i'm disappointed.
wtf are there so many cords, it comes with a oversized book on how to set it all up.
the headset is more comfortable than i expected. i tried Oculus at VMworld a few years ago and the display quality is certainly better but the 'moire effect' is entirely distracting. screendoor effect isn't so bad.
there's a definite sweet spot where the image will be in focus and the tiniest deviation from that makes me readjust the headset to find it again.
played a few of the demo titles and the reduction in graphics is incredible. driveclub VR looks like a PS3 game.
compete lack of any AA in titles seems required to maintain the framerate.
move controllers have the same problem they always did with drift and i have to occasionally reset the tracking.

beat saber is fun as a more accurate kinect game but i don't know a single song on it and techno isn't my thing.
batman VR is pretty good, the sense of scale in arkham is different in first person.
the only title that stood out for me was astro bot but is rather shallow.
played a handful of other VR demos, got bored and then was surprised just how good RDR2 looks on Xbox One X.

improve the graphical capabilities, make the headset wireless and scrap the move controllers for something better and i'd be interested in the next gen VR
regardless, PS4/VR is likely moving downstairs so the wife doesn't disrupt my play time
Old 11-28-2018, 02:10 PM
HDD Contributor

What are your feelings about WipeOut in VR?